PDA

View Full Version : Gettin kinda scared

yellowWB400ex
04-06-2005, 01:59 PM
After reading a whole bunch of threads on building motors and the problems that go with it. All I want is a hotcam and a 11:1 comp piston and the gaskets atleast thats what I think I need. All these people talking about head studs, gasket types, rods, valves,and a whole bunch of other options/problems that I really dont want to deal with because I dont know much about that stuff. Now I kinda am shyed away from the whole rebuild idea. That stuff gets really expensive. If I can stay away from added expense I will but dont want to sacrafice reliability.

duke416ex
04-06-2005, 02:15 PM
My opinion(of course opinions are like aholes, everyone has one), A good drop in cam like hotcams, or tc, web, and white bros has one, will not need valves, or hardened rocker arms. 11:1 piston will not need bigger studs unless you are going to a 440, but I would not go over 11:1. Gaskets, juest be sure you have a metal head gasket, good quality, and new other gaskets(rebuild kit) and you will be ok. I would put a crf450 timing chain($26) and a new tensioner($45) in it just for preventative maintenence.

MIKE400EX
04-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Just remember that the White Bros. Track cam is a re-box of the WebCams 450/451 which is hardfaced. White Bros. doesn't claim that you have to use hardfaced rockers but WEB (the mfg.) does.
IMO, I wouldn't really call that a true "drop in".

400exrider707
04-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I did a hotcam stage 1 and wiseco 11:1 piston and didn't do anything to my rod, valves and yada yada yada. I did do the CRF timing chain though. New gaskets are also a must. Dont worry about it. This was my first time doing this as well and its cake if your mechaincally inclined. Also a good manual will help worlds.