PDA

View Full Version : what bike is best for mx?

250rmike
05-13-2002, 01:24 PM
I am selling my bike or trading it and i was wondering if a modded 400ex would be better for mx or a modded 250r would i should be able to pick up one of each for about the same price. please respond quicly

05-13-2002, 01:39 PM
That's a tuff call,,,it basically depends on what shape there in...I'm a thumper man,,but of course a 250R is no joke. Could ya post pics of them??

250rmike
05-13-2002, 01:56 PM
I cant post a pic but if you go to cycletrader.com go to search and look up 400exs in NC. it is in lowell and is yellow with a hmf exhaust razr tires and more(the price on the ad is not what i would be buying it for. take a look and tell me what u think

05-13-2002, 02:38 PM
the thumper is a little easyier to mantain. For the most part 400 parts are a little cheaper than the R's, But until a 400ex wins a pro GNC race I think the R is still king for MX.

airheadedduner
06-01-2002, 06:37 PM
I would go for the thumper. I have a 300r that is non ported, high compression and runnin an LRD Pipe(the best:D ) adjusted for low end and lots of suspension goodies. I rode it back to back with a stock 01 EX on my buddies practice track and the EX was wayyyyy better. Easier to ride cause you don't have to clutch it and you can mod it to be just as good handleing, plus it gets way more traction and is much more reliable. It takes gobs of money to keep my R running mint cause it is 16 years old. I'm probly sellin my R to buy an EX and race it. You can race the EX in the 250 and the thumper classes too.

Nausty
06-01-2002, 08:30 PM
I would get the thumper inless the 250r was in GREAT shape for a low price. A 400ex handles almost as good it just feels like your sitting in it more and a lil bit more "cadilacy". But it is so much easier to ride and realiable. You basicly don't have to do anything but adjust the valves after you break it in and in a few years after that. They ride good and blow away everything but the 250r in handling. Its got great low end power and it is THE BEST at wheelieing. If you live in the desert or in a open area though it don't have much power and the good handling is kinda a waste.

06-02-2002, 12:52 AM
well, id go wit the r for mx, lighter, handles better, imo, and i personally like teh snap a 250r has over a 400, but go wit what u want

motochris
06-04-2002, 02:23 PM
One thing i must say is that when you race its 80%rider and 20%bike. Granted i don't even own a quad yet but i do ride a cr125 and i got this little saying from some pros. If you keep up with motocross on TV Ricky C. is now on a honda and winning and was winning on a kawasaki.

But if i were to tell you what to get i'd go with a 400ex, plus i think in a few years 2strokes will be outlawed and the 2 stroke riders will have to get use to a 4 stroke. Good luck in your choise.

Looking for a cheap 300ex or 250x frame.

mrusk
06-04-2002, 02:31 PM
2 strokes will not be outlawed in 2 years. They will proably never be outlawed..only production of them will be outlawed.

I think its stupid how everyone is going to 4 strokes because 'its the wave of the future' i will ride my 2 stroke till they pry my cold death body off it!

matt

motochris
06-04-2002, 02:54 PM
I love my 2stroke and they wil have to kill me to get it and i do have lots of guns,hahaha. But the info i posted about 2strokes being outlawed came from Factory riders, not from a,b,c home town riders. Thats why your seeing more factory riders going to 4 strokes so when the switch happend the big manufactures will have riders ready to win races. I feel this outlawing 2 strokesis a bunch of B.S.!!! They have already stopped2 stroke snow machines here in wyoming from riding in parks that we have been riding in for ever. What else is next...????..........

lil400exman
06-05-2002, 02:50 PM
its true i tlaked to 3 other dealerships in michigan ohio and ohio and michigan
rosenau'd very respected dealer too they have a website too huge dealer ship said that they will be outlawed in 2006 fa sure and all other ones backed it up!

Nausty
06-05-2002, 04:22 PM
they will probably be restricted to closed course racing. That means like at your property and mx tracks probably?

honda250xrider
06-05-2002, 07:41 PM
i would go with the honda 250x

250rmike
06-06-2002, 10:15 AM
ha sorry. i am was talking about between a 250r and 400ex. if i could have anything i would take a cannondale moto 440 walsh edition but we dont always get what we want.

rhino99
06-06-2002, 10:24 AM
I ride an R, and I absolutely love it. However...if you dont want to do a lot of work on your quad, you may want to go with the 400ex. Right now I am having a conflict as to what to do with mine, I have a brand new top end, etc and its been pretty reliable since I got all that done to it, however it still takes a lot of work to keep it running strong. I am in college, etc and just dont have all the time in the world to keep working on my quad, so I am considering trading for a 400ex. However, each time I take off on my R I decide I dont want to get rid of it, there is nothing in the world like the power of a 2-stroke! And like they said, you dont see any 400exs running the pro class. But for a weekend guy, either would be great, it basically depends what kinda deal you can get on them and how much work you wanna do!

250rmike
06-06-2002, 10:59 AM
i know how you feel. i always say i want a 400ex but then i ride my r and i am like why do i wanna get rid of this. its so hard to choose i will prolly get another r.

airheadedduner
06-06-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
its true i tlaked to 3 other dealerships in michigan ohio and ohio and michigan
rosenau'd very respected dealer too they have a website too huge dealer ship said that they will be outlawed in 2006 fa sure and all other ones backed it up!

Its not that ring-dings will be outlawed, All the major manufacturers agreed not to produce anymore of them for polution reasons. Thats what I heard anyway. That sucks in all but it is the cause of all the new high tech thumpers. Everyone is scrambling to produce race leval thumpers to compete with the 2 strokes beofre they are outlawed. The result has been some kickin thumper motors. Look at the YZ, , CRF, cannondale, and DRZ. Suzuki put the DRZ into a quad frame and it is awesome, and it is the least potent of them, and it gives the cannnondale and raptor a run in speed and acceleration. It is a double edged sword. Sux for me a lot though cause I ride the dunes where R's and Shee's are Gods.

fmf300ex23
06-06-2002, 01:03 PM
In my opinion if you would be seriously motocrossing it than go with the R theres nothing like it out on the track, the handeling and instant power combines to make the all time great mx quad. Dont get me wrong the 400ex is a great quad and great mx quad but if you are really wanting to make it in the sport of motocross the 250r will be your best bet, but of course this is my opinion, ha well good luck with whatever you buy.

Drew

Nausty
06-06-2002, 03:01 PM
yah but if you really want to make into the sport of motorcross you gotta put 18k into your quad. And by that time the cr450f and yz426 in my opinion would blow away the 250r motor.

06-06-2002, 03:30 PM
440 should know, he had a modded 440ex and now he has a modded 250r. i would get the 250r, its a competive race bike, i think the 400 is less of a competive race but, good for local "fun" racing, if you put a ton of mods in it then yea it would be the best mx'er.

fmf300ex23
06-07-2002, 10:01 AM
If your planning on motocrossing your gonna have to spend major $$$ not just on a 250r, one advantage is when the motor tears up on a R its WAY cheaper than a 4 stroke to fix and a lot easier, it will cost 5 times as much to get a 400ex motor to run with a good ported R. The 400 is a great recreational quad and ive seen a few awsome mx 400s but your gonna spend in the $10,000's on a R or 400ex for motocross. I have nothing against 400s i like them a lot but on a race track with the same ability riders a 250r is more likely to win or put in faster lap times, just a thought or some will think this is an opinion, well good luck

Drew

motochris
06-07-2002, 01:58 PM
In my other post i said to go with a 400ex 4 stroke and i still stand with it. But one thing i thought about is engine weight diffrence. A 250r has a lighter engine than the 400ex. The ex has a few add on's than a 250r and that might be the diffrence. If you could shave a few pounds off it might just do the trick. A friend of mine took a few pound off of his by using aluminum bolts,nuts and did some other stuff. It pulled my other friends 250r in a drag race. Both bikes were stock except for pipes. Now there could also be gearing involved. We'll see how they do aganst my CR125. Can you say holeshot,hehehehe.

400exRacerX
06-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Hybrid!!

airheadedduner
06-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Is that a YZ400\426? I heard that is a fairly easy conversion in a EX frame.