PDA

View Full Version : 89' 250r quite running

jerry_g21
04-05-2005, 11:18 PM
my 89' 250r quite running on me after i rebuilt the top end last year. later when i was trying to start it, i believe the engine seized up because it will not turn over or kick to start. its just stuck. so today i pulled the top end off and it was fine so no piston ring or wrist pin keeper stuck in the cylinder,everything looked good there. however gas had also gotten into the bottom end where the crank arm is. i do not know if it happened as i was taking off the top end. i don't know if gas can get around the and then below the piston like that? so i'm a little confused about the gas and wondering if anyone knows anything or has a clue about the seizing up. because its definetly not the piston, so i'm figuring kick start or a tooth off of a gear. but the way it died when it ran last was weird, it ran fine all summer then the last time i rode it i left it to idle for a minute then it just kinda sputtered out and would not start again. so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, jeremiah.

wilkin250r
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
It sounds like you have quite a problem.

First of all, how familiar are you with your engine, and two-strokes in general? The gasoline in your crank isn't quite normal, but it's not a huge problem. All the gasoline your engine uses goes through the crankcase first (thats why you mix it with oil). It's part of the engine design, typical of most all 2-strokes. It sounds to me like your carburetor overflowed, because the crankcase is the first place it will go. Go buy a cheap turkey baster and suck it out of there. Do NOT suck it out with your vacuum.

Second, while the cylinder is off, put the quad in neutral and try to turn the crank. Try to turn the kickstart slowly. Try to feel WHERE it is binding up. If the piston isn't seized inside the cylinder, you'll probably have to split the cases, which is not an easy task to do. If you've never split the cases before, I suggest you send it to a shop rather than try to fix it yourself.

2muchquad
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
sounds to me like your bottom end is seized,it could be the main bearings or the rod.after you do what wilkin said and sucked the gas out,i would pour some oil in the bottom end and let it sit for awhile and then try to turn it over.:)

Quadude32
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Splitting the case halve's isn't that hard:eek2: I'd suggest getting a manual and proper toll's befor attempting that.........I've split mine probly 5x now eachtime you do it you will get faster at it but if its your first time TAKE YOUR TIME:D

wicked400man
04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
first of all...your carb overflowed, that would explain the gas down in the crank case....i would say your main bearing or rod got stuck...maybe a tooth off of the kick starter finally jammed up....read up on 2 strokes and buy a repair manual