PDA

View Full Version : Correct Break-In

Evan
05-13-2002, 12:44 PM
What is the correct break in steps? What oil should u use to breakin? Assembly lube on the cam shaft right? If anyone know the answers post them here, and maybe we could get this moved the FAQ section, maybe Gabe will respond. I know on Duncans site they say let it idle and other people say not. Thanks for your responses.

05-13-2002, 01:13 PM
X-rider is this break in for a new quad or a rebuilt bored motor with new cam installed, etc.??

JhallettEX
05-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Rico, the whole works.....416 and cam.

Dave400ex
05-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Yeah Duncan has a Big Thing on Breaking in a Four Stroke. I would Call Sparks and see what they say.

Evan
05-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Just what Jhallet said, bored to 416 and new cam.
Duncan says let it idle for 5 minutes, then shut off, let it cool and repeat this 3 times total. Then take it out and ride it for 10 minutes at 50% and then shut off let cool, then go to 60 % and repeat all the way to 100%. Someone said on here that it is bad to let a new motor idle. If all else fails I will call sparks. I was just wanting some opinions on what oil to run for how long etc.

Evan
05-15-2002, 12:05 PM
Wondering if I could get some responses on what not to do and so on for correct breakin.

05-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Here's what I did with mine and it's running like a champ still..Step 1.) I let it warm up a little at idle,,but not much,,,I kinda had to cuz it was winter when I had it done. I then jumped on it and poked around up and down the drainage ditch line behind my house for 15 minutes,,never getting out of 3rd gear and no more than half throttle. Parked it for about 3 hours,,took it out and did the same thing as step 1. After the 2 first break in's. I took it out and rode it for about 30 minutes got into 4th gear and laid on the throttle a little bit harder,,maybe 3/4 throttle and took it home and parked it for the night. Sunday I took it out and put the fuggin hamma down and that's Rico's break-in procedure. Pretty much the 1st 2 steps are all ya need. I've asked a few engine builders even local builders and they said DO NOT just let it idle,,let it warm up for a minute or 2 then ride it slowly.. Oh yeah I also went back to standard 10w-40 oil for the break-in,,now I'm back to synthetic.

ChadEXer
05-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Everyones prolly gonna have an opinion on break in. I would say call Sparks!!! I would trust his opinion over anyone else!!
My opinion is jump on it and give her he!!,,,j\k!!

knighttime
05-15-2002, 01:51 PM
go with Rico's procedure. Dont let it idle what ever u do!!! :macho

05-15-2002, 02:00 PM
I know when i was breaking in engines i rode them very easy and just rode around, quit for a while and got back to it. After about 6 hours of doing this is when i lay the hamma down as Rico would say.

nakomis0
05-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Breakin is pretty easy. Basically just don't beat the heck outta the thing till ya get atleast a tank of gas run threw her.

I forget what the exact procedure is, but don't let it idle. I think its something like keep her at about a 25% rev for 2-5 minutes. Let it cool down than repeat. You need to get oil up on the cam, thats why ya don't let it idle.

After that just don't keep it at a constant rpm range for very long while riding. You wanna run threw all the gears and vary the rpm, so you don't wear the rings out weird.

ChadEXer
05-15-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
go with Rico's procedure. Dont let it idle what ever u do!!! :macho
no chad???? Just wondering what you disagree with,,calling Sparks??? or giving her he!!:D I said I was j\k(just kidding)!!!!

Dave400ex
05-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Rico`s is the Best. I think this should be in the FAQ.

Leo
05-16-2002, 04:28 AM
I used a light coat of cam lube on mine when I put it back together..

Took it out, rode it normally (not hammering on it, but not lugging it around either) for about 30-45 minutes..

Changed the oil / filter (was concerend about the cam lube clogging the filter, although it didn't appear to be a problem) I also pulled the screen out of the oil tank to check for cam lube maybe plugging it up (again wasn't a problem)..

I then rode it finished the tank of gas off (again riding around easy, but not lugging it..)

Then I put 2 tanks through it in my usual riding style (hammering on it without mercy.. ;))..

Then I swithched back to synthetic, and life seems to be good... Runs strong, no smoke, etc..

Leo

Dave400ex
05-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Leo where is this Screen at that is in the Tank?

Evan
05-16-2002, 04:17 PM
This is what I am doing.

Ride 1/4 throttle for 5minutes
Let Cool
Ride 1/4 Throttle for 5minutes
Let Cool
Ride 1/4 Throttle for 5minutes
Let Cool

Ride normal(up to 3/4 throttle) for the rest of the tank of gas
Change the oil and filter.
Then give it hel

nakomis0
05-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Erm, you can open her up a little. if you run at 1/4 throttle, it doesn't sound like you'll be varying the rpms. Which could lead to the pistons rings not setting right.

Possibly could be a reason alot of guys talk about there 400ex making black smoke is normal. When my 400 never makes black smoke.

And burning oil, which my oil level never seems to move. Unless im draining it.:rolleyes:

Evan
05-16-2002, 07:59 PM
I varied the throttle postion but I didnt go above 1/4 throttle and also, it really doesnt matter b/c the motor sees different RPMs when you are going through the gears. I think it will be alright. I just have to work on my jetting now.

nakomis0
05-16-2002, 08:12 PM
ahh, good point.:D