PDA

View Full Version : Esr 480???

R3Concepts
04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Anyone have one? Likes or dislikes? Reliability issues? Heating issues? Good set-ups that you have tried? We are going to turn our 13.8:1 stock bore motor into a 480 dune sleeper. Keep the Sparks cam or go with the ESR one? Opinions please.

dn1911
04-05-2005, 09:35 PM
someone over at .ORG has the ESR kit i would see if you can find something there

jeepnrocks
04-05-2005, 09:35 PM
didn't know esr had a 480 kit

SCOTTS450R
04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
yep, they do indeed!

DirtDevilBT
04-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
didn't know esr had a 480 kit

What does it consist of and how much?

Anyone running it? Is it an overbore with new coating or do you go to a iron sleeve?

R3Concepts
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Its like $447 for the kit. It includes Wiseco 12.5:1, gaskets, bore your stock cylinder then re-nikasil OR cast sleeve so they do it both ways. Im sure they have it advertised in DW now, they've had it for a while now.

DirtDevilBT
04-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Do you know how many over that is? Is it 2mm over? How is reliablity when bored over that much and would an iron sleeve be better than the nikasil? Is there a chance they would do a 13:1 JE? Thanks for answering the other question.

R3Concepts
04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
I talked to ESR today. Its an exchange program with your cylinder, you give them yours and they give you one thats already been bored and re-nikasiled, they dont do sleeves, like it says in DW. They do porting for 250, valve job for 150, and the new kit is 447. They won the 4 stroke wars this year with this kit in the 501 open under class, and they told me that it was a stock valve motor with shortened guides, and this kit was designed to work best with the stock valves, seems strange but who I am to argue. The bike they won with had the 480, cam (dont know which one although he said they sell the HC Stage 2 the most) porting, shortened guides, valve job, 41mm FCR, and the CRF ignition. Thats all he told me, but it walked on the RIS Designs 505 stroker so who knows what was in it.

brif
04-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Personally I would swap out the crf cam. I ran that cam in my fst500 and for the limited dune riding I do it was restricting my bike. A comparative dyno of another bike with similar mods with the hrc vs. my sparks was about 4hp on the top. I'm running the johnson now but haven't really got any serious play time but it's definatly stronger on top. Just my 2 cents.....

kgbg
04-09-2005, 07:59 PM
The shortened guides were for a BIG lift cam, such as the big Megacycle.
That 480 was on alcohol I believe. Super light, great set up, launched HARD, It was smokin fast!
EDIT: It did not "walk" on the RIS 505, but it beat it. The RIS bike was riding wheelies out of the hole. The ESR TRX had a weird no link, shock on it, but it hooked up and booked!

R3Concepts
04-09-2005, 08:55 PM
kgbg thanks for the info. You were at the 4 Stroke Wars right? I was looking for someone that was there to post more info on this kit that was in that TRX. Do you think that this was a stock valve motor? Kinda hard to believe and the guy at ESR didnt really want to share any info it seemed, right fully so they dont want to put out anything that will beat there "house bike" but it would be nice to know since I want to do a pretty close carbon copy of that bike. They somehow turned the stock rear into a no-link rer shock. Do you know what gearing he was running? Front looks like a 13, and the rear looks MAMMOTH, at least in the 42 region.

kgbg
04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
From what I know, that was not a "shop bike" in fact, the guy was hanging with the Sparks guys a bit. It was just a customers bike. I have no idea of the head configuration. The cam was obviously huge, and I heard it did not have a CRf ignition, I did not look closely at it, you can see from the size of the wiring from the stator cover.
It also had a one off center mount pipe.
Not sure of the gearing.
There are some pictures that I took at my house, I can check thm tonight , maybe I can see the sprockets, and wiring.
IT was definetly on Alcohol, and it had a drag set up for the front end, and had a cool as hell carbon fiber stem and bars.