PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it now

JForestZ34
04-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I posted in the maintenance forum about my oil filter bolts, being to loose. I went for a ride and I saw the small bolt that holds the back part of the filter cover loose. It was part way out. So I said alright went back home went to tighten it up next thing I hear is a slight snap sound. :eek: After that sound I said I better not tighten it anymore as I was getting up the head to the bolt fell off.:grr: :mad: I didn't tighten it that much I barely even touched it. If I take the other long bolt out I can get the rest of it out with vise-grips. But I'm sure the threads in the hole are F%^&*# up. What are my options. I would really not want to get a heli coil for this. If so how much do they cost and it would probably tighten better right? I should have known about metal into aluminum. Any ideas? Not saiying I would but how hard would it be to put a new side case on it. I think I will try the heli coil first I really wouldn't want to spend all that money. Are those heli coil good?

James

04-05-2005, 03:05 PM
heli coils are great.. contrary to what some may say.. ive had a heli coil in every hole in a few motors with absolutly NO issues at all..

A helicoil for a hole like that would probably put a pretty serious dent in your wallet to the tune of about 2 whole dollars..

heli coil it, forget about it!

Jesse

JForestZ34
04-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Where can it get the heli coil at. Just go to a parts store with the bolt I have. Whatever size the bolt is for the back hole on the oil filter cover. I have no idea what size that is. Thanks for the quick reply.

James

chucked
04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
its low torque, you should be find.

JForestZ34
04-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Well I have good news and bad news. Well the good news is the only thing that got screwed up was the small bolt that attaches the cover on. I looked at the threads in that hole and they are fine. Now all I need is a new bolt and I'm good to go.

The bad news is the wifes mad at me because I can go riding this weekend:D

James

theTman
04-05-2005, 05:53 PM
that happened to me...but with the long bolt....so we retapped it and put a new one in

400exrules
05-29-2005, 11:18 AM
happened to me with the longer bolt too, me and my dad just re-threaded it and put a smaller bolt in, no leaks or probs. so far, and its been atleast a month and a half

Mxjunkie
05-29-2005, 11:23 AM
sounds like honda put to long of a bolt in those and its bottoming out. You could heli coil it like everyone said and it'll be fine :)

derekhonda
05-29-2005, 02:12 PM
I just did the same thing but stripped the threads in the case. The helicoil kit was $42. The raping hurt, they didnt lube up.