PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GNCC Round #4 "Steele Creek" Morning ATV Race Coverage

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:47 PM
<center>http://www.atvriders.com/images/atvracing/gncc/2005/2005NationalNumbers.gif (http://www.atvriders.com/results/2005GNCCMorningNationalNumbers.html)</center>
<center>Click Here (http://www.atvriders.com/results/2005GNCCMorningNationalNumbers.html)</center>

Morganton, NC - GNCC Racers once again converged at one of the finest facilities on the circuit in the mountains of North Carolina. Unlike many other locations, Steele Creek is a campground, so it has RV hookups, bathhouse, and other amenities which makes it a great race for a family get away. It is also a great event for spectators with the easily accessible creek crossing sections, mud hole, and field sections.

Unfortunately, conditions for this years race aren’t picture perfect with heavy rain saturated the area throughout the day with scattered heavy down pours and light drizzle with temps only in the low 50’s. Overnight, the possibility of thunderstorms rise as a front comes out of the west, and more of the same weather is forecasted for tomorrow with some clearing toward afternoon.

This will definitely be a mud feast for tomorrows morning race, but if the rain holds out the track should become extremely tacky and excellent by afternoon if the area is spared from anymore heavy downpours.

The riders were hit with two fees for this event with a $20 camping charge vehicle and the normal $10 entry fee per person, but it is well worth it for this location.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:48 PM
The Moose Rig came in early and crossed the narrow bridge that the riders will be forced to ride under tomorrow for the race.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:49 PM
The racer production crew was busy marking the course and preparing the creek section that is a spectator favorite.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
The water was fairly deep today going under the bridge, but I am sure they will pump out some of the murky water before the start of the races tomorrow, but regardless, the riders better be ready to get wet through this section.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Even with the heavy rain, the creek remained crystal clear and calm before the run off from the mountains begin to filter into it over night which may turn it into a murky mess as well tomorrow.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:52 PM
This racer had the right idea for passing some time on this dreary day.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Jim Stack also decided to spend some time in the creek as he submerged his new Four Stroke Tech ride in the creek up to the handle bars after misjudging the depth of the water. He used his Ramsey winch to pull him out of the water and proceeded to drain the water out of the engine and air box.

Doug Henke raced this Brute Force to start of the season, but has decided to go back to a sport machine and I believe he will be on a Honda 450R for the rest of the season.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:57 PM
This track is known for its mud holes even in dry conditions, but with the rain this deceptively wide open section of track may look like an easy crossing section, but a spring head comes to the surface and the mud will quickly become soup after the 1st lap of the morning race, and by the afternoon, I am sure many riders will be looking for some help from the spectators to pull them through.

Admin
04-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Even in the fields, the riders will have to deal with standing water and some extremely slick conditions, so a new set of ITP HD tires will come in handy this weekend especially for the morning race, but by afternoon, the XC tire may be the better tire choice or the Razr for those Maxxis riders

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:02 PM
With the light drizzle coming down, the mountains that the riders will be traversing up and down tomorrow were covered by low level clouds.

With some steep inclines bottlenecks will probably develop tomorrow as riders get stuck on the side of some of the hills.

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
With the fields becoming slicker by the hour, racers were looking for some of the remaining pit spots along the track that won’t present a problem getting out tomorrow if the rain continues through the night.

Mike Penland seeks some parking advice from good friend Scott Kilby when he arrives

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:07 PM
With several hundred riders already at the track by Friday afternoon, Riders Registration was packed with riders trying to get through the line while the rain held off heading into the evening.

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:08 PM
John Cunningham, Mike Penland, and Dave Simmons all pre registered, so they only had to wait in one short line instead of going through one line for their AMA Card and another to get their stickers and Handlebar tag.

John Cunningham & Izzy Burgard came to my rescue this weekend as I was left stranded on I-81 in Salem, VA after my transmission went out of my motorhome at 2AM in the morning. It was a terrific feeling to see how willing everyone I called was ready to adjust their plans to get me to the races (Bill Neidlinger, Andy Lagzdins, John Kenney, Kenny Hill, and several others) were ready to come to help me get to the race.

Izzy drove down our pickup to meet us, so we could continue on and John Cunnigham sent down a tow truck to pick up my motorhome to bring it back up north to get a new transmission $$$ before the next race in two weeks at Big Buck.

I can’t thank everyone enough for dealing with me calling them at 4AM looking for help and no one hanging up on me. Just my luck it was April fools, and I must say I was warned that this better not be a April Fool’s Joke, Boy did I wish it was a joke.

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Hiper Wheels, Clancy, was busy talking to riders about their wheels and any new products they would be interesting in seeing Hiper produce.

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:15 PM
The Youth ATVs were showing up in force with Steele Creek kicking off the five round series. It was great to see all the father and son/daughter combinations riding around preparing to race on Saturday.

Jack Ramsey and his Boy Jack Ramsey Jr headed to Rider Registration.

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
This Youth rider was all smiles with anticipation of tomorrow’s event.

Admin
04-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Kevin Johnston was out with his young one, but I don't think it will be long before we see another new racer hit the track for the 1st time.

As I finish up my race report this evening, the rain has once again picked up in intensity with more heavy rain showing up on radar, which is making this look like the 1st mud fest of the season.

Well that is it for today, but be sure to check back on Saturday for live updates from the track

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
As Forecasted, several inches of rain fell over night with high winds and chilly temperatures greeting the riders in the morning. The creek rose substantially overnight and started to wash away sections of a bridge racer productions built for the racers to cross from on side of the creek to another, but that wasn’t there only problem.

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
The section of the track that went under the bridge had filled up with several feet of water after the water rose above barrier that the racer production crew built yesterday to separate the creek from the track.

Jeff Russell drove his Utility quad into the water to test its depth after pumping out some of the water.

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Meanwhile, the crew was busy rebuilding the barrier to keep the creek from refilling the section.

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Many morning riders were up at the crack of dawn making adjustments to their machines before the 10AM start.

Doug Henke decided to switch to some Razr2 tires for the rear of his Brand new YFZ450 that he will be racing in the stock class for the remainder of the season.

Doug has been man handling the Utility machines to some impressive finishes the last few years, so I expect to see him do extremely well back on a sport machine.

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Mike Penland was also busy adding some addition mud stopping protection to his existing hand guards.

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:57 PM
By 10:00AM close to 250 riders were lined up and ready for the start of the race with clouds giving way to some blue skies and sunny conditions as the temps rose into the upper 50's.

Admin
04-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately, Erika Jones, wasn't going to be one of them this weekend after spending some time in the hospital for a medical procedure, which kept her from racing, but she still came out to show her support, and it was great to see her as usual.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Ashlie Whaley showed her enthusiasm to be on the line for another round of racing, especially since she is currently 5th in the class.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:04 PM
After watching her son race in the morning, Angela Mason geared up and heading to the line on her Polaris to try her hand against some of the fastest women in the country.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Jean Lovely had some exciting news to share as she has been selected to join the Team Safari Race Team and become Matt Smiley's teammate for 2005.

Jean Lovely won't be switching to a Predator, and she will remain on her Honda 450R, but will share the same sponsors as Team Safari, so congratulations Jean and you deserve it after finishing consistently in the top 5 each round.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:15 PM
With thousands of spectators gathered around the perimeter of the track and the completion of the morning prayer and National Anthem, the wave of the green flag by Ricky Towery kicked off the 4th Round of the Morning GNCC Series as the women fired up their machines.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Long time Rivals, Traci Cecco and Stepahanie Parton were side by side as they raced to the 1st turn leading the pack.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Alba Action's, Traci Cecco, held her inside line and put her YFZ out front with Team Suzuki, Stephanie Parton, going extra wide and loosing several positions as riders ducked to her inside.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
By the 2nd turn, Traci continued to lead the race with Stephanie Parton spinning sideways which allowed Angela Mason to get around her as Stephanie battle with Shanna Bradshaw, Ashlie Whaley, and Missie Legge for her position.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:24 PM
A large crowd also gathered around the infamous mud hole and under bridge water crossing.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:27 PM
One of the spectators was none other than, Bill Ballance, waiting to see which lines were the best for going under the bridge and through the mud in preparation for the afternoon race.

In these muddy and wet conditions, line choice could make the difference between victory and a DNF, so careful line selection is critical in getting to the finish line out front.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Stephanie Parton took the outside line under the bridge and slowed down her speed to avoid being covered in water and possibly stalling her machine.

By the end of the 1st lap, Stephanie Parton held the lead with her Suzuki with Traci Cecco right behind her as they went through the check point. Angel Atwell was 10 seconds back and remained with striking distance of the women leaders.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:36 PM
By the 2nd lap, Stephanie Parton remained in the lead, but Angel Atwell was able to pass Traci and move into 2nd place with the top three women within 10 seconds of each other.

Traci Cecco crosses the creek where the land bridge was submerged underwater from all the heavy rain.

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Stefanie Verkade was running a terrific race after two laps and remained within 36 seconds of the top three women, but her race would end before the completion of the third lap :(

Admin
04-05-2005, 02:48 PM
By the 3rd lap, Stephanie Parton's Suzuki shut off with Traci and Angel right behind her in the mix with Will Cashion and Harlen Foley. Will Cashioin pushed Stephanie's quad off the track with his front bumper after Stephanie yelled at him to "PUSH ME." This allowed Traci to take the lead.

Stephanie Parton discovered that her key some how was turned off, which prevented it from starting it, so she turned the key and restarted her machine and return to the race.

By the end of the lap, Traci Cecco was in the lead, but Angel was able to make the pass as Traci pitted.

, but a pit stop before the end of the lap by Traci would allow Angel Atwell to slip by and move into 1st place.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Stephanie Parton would put her head down and charge to within a few seconds of the Angel and Traci early in the last lap. With Angel Atwell out front of Traci Cecco and only Harlen Foley in-between as they raced tire to tire, Angel goes off the track and into the woods on a line she obviously discovered while walking the track because no one else had taken the line by the last lap.

Harlen and Traci remained on the track and found that Angel had passed five lapped riders by the time we saw her again. Angel would go on to win the race by over four minutes as Traci would get stuck in a bottleneck and Stephanie Parton was able to get around her and finish in 2nd place behind Angel.

I must say that from following Angel for several miles that race she was riding the best that I have ever seen her ride before and I was impressed, but her super creative line choice went well beyond the 25’ limit which has the women’s class under protest.

Angel Atwell honorably admitted to using the line and didn’t intend to break the rules, but it was obvious that the line was outside the allowable limits unless there was a bottleneck, so Racer Productions will access a penalty upon Angel for going beyond the allowable limits of the marked track. The penalty is yet to be determined, so the results are unofficial, but this should serve as a wakeup call to those that search for alternative short cut lines that they better make sure they are within the limits because Racer Productions is cracking down.

Angel Atwell blasting through the water under the bridge.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Shanna Bradshaw rode to a 4th place finish ahead of Jean Lovely who finished 5th for the 3rd time this season.

Jean Lovely on her Team Safari, Honda 450R

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Super Senior

There are many father and son racers in the GNCC Series amazingly, and with the Youth Series, the amount has probably tripled this year, but none are more recognizable than this dynamic pair (John and Johnny Gallagher).

They have been actively involved in ATV racing for years and both of them have put together an impressive resume over the years, and it great to have guys like these involved in our sport.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
As I already mentioned, their are several Father and Son combos, and Ken and Cory Vickerd is one of the many. They travel from upstate New York to attend the GNCC Series together, and their are countless other father's and son's that make the long trips together even if they both don't race.

It brings me great pleasure each race to spend the weekend with my father as he helps me prepare for each race and even helps with photos during the morning race. He also looks forward to talking with the riders and other father's that come to help their children.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:40 PM
With the Start of the Super Seniors, Ken Vickerd put his Honda out front early

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Johnny Gallagher didn't take long to power his Hybrid YFZ/R around Vickerd and take over the lead where he would remain.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
John Gallagher would go on to win his 4th race of the season, but this wasn't almost the case when mud began to claim riders on the last lap and he took almost 40 minutes to finish the lap which allowed Thomas move within 2.5 minutes of John before the end of the race with Ken Vickerd finishing in 3rd

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Jim Clester rode his way to his 3rd 4th place finish this season and was the last Super Senior to finish 4 laps.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Jay Condon only managed one lap this race and finished in last place :(

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Stock Class

After Billy Good, Will Cashion, Harlen Foley, Michael Sroka, and Mark Rhodes dominated the Stock Class last season. There are several new appearing out front this season that makes this class even more competitive.

Chris Neal finished the last race with a Podium performance and is back again for some action and watching his son race in the Youth ATV Race

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Jarrod McClure also has made his presence know after finishing on the Podium the 1st two races of the season, but a poor start kept him off the Podium in Georgia, but it didn’t stop him for charging his way from 30th to finish in 6th place by the end of the race.

Jarrod McClure attends many of the races with his biggest supporter, his father, Jarrod McClure and Mechanic John Bowers.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Doug Henke will also be a contender for the podium with each race on his YFZ, and I was impressed by his creative hand guards (Gallon Jugs).

Hey, what ever works, and you might get sponsored by Deer Park water or possibly a Milk Company, lol :D

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't think James Godley realized what class he signed up for when he registered for the Stock Class with his Warrior, but he was out to have some fun. Unfortunately, he would only finish one lap.

I hope he wasn’t deterred by his finish, but I think the Sport Class is calling his name because that class seriously needs some more riders.

Admin
04-05-2005, 03:59 PM
The Stock Class rounded the 1st turn with Will Cashion as the crowd cheered.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
With 28 Stock Class riders heading through the 1st turn, there was plenty of grass and dirt being sprayed high into the air.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
By the 2nd Turn, Andy Derrick and Brian Toney had taken over the lead after building momentum from going wide around the 1st turn with Will Cashion dropping back several spots.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Mid Pack, Doug Henke lead Harlen Foley and Tim Lenig into the woods with Tim making the pass on Harlen on the inside line.

The three would begin to pick off rider and after rider as they started their charge to the front, but Doug's charge ended half way through the 1st lap when he lost it on a off chamber turn and slide down the hill.

Tim Lenig and Harlen Foley would continue their charge as they swapped position a few times during the race with both of them working their way into the top three early in the last lap.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
The highly agressive, Matt Hanna rode his way up to 2nd place by the end of the 1st lap, but fell back to for the start for the start of the third lap, which he never completed and finished in 25th.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Billy Good was on a roller coaster ride as he worked his way up from 5th to 1st and dropped back to 5th after making several mistakes on the track by pushing his limits early in the race.

Meanwhile, Tim Lenig continued to ride smart and consistent as he worked his way from 8th after the 1st lap to 3rd Overall by the beginning of the last lap in his 1st race back since last year and his first race in the Stock Class aboard his Cannondale.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Harlen Foley worked his way up to 9th by the end of the 1st lap right behind Leing and they were running back to back in the last lap when Harlen's rear sprocket fell off after all the bolts came lose:(

Once again, I lost my chance for the podium in the last lap. When my sprocket fell off, I heard a loud bang and the chain bound up on the front sprocket, so I knew I was done. Traci Cecco was right behind me, so I jumped off my quad and pushed her backwards until she had a clean line to get around. Meanwhile, Billy Good had caught back up and chased after Traci as they both took off together chasing after the leaders in their class.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Chris Neal also got off to a slow start and also began his charge to the front as he caught up to Billy Good and moved into the top five after I broke.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Will Cashion would go on to finish the race in 8th place.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Jamie Bougher rode his way to a 26th Overall finish which was his 2nd best this season.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Doug Henke didn't have the Stock Class Debut he was looking for after dropping back to 22nd after the 1st lap, but I am sure he will be back strong as ever at Big Buck.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Robert Melton aboard his Honda 450R

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Tim Lenig would go on to Win the Overall which would make the 3rd person in the Lenig Family to win a Morning Overall in the GNCC Series (Traci, Tyler, and Tim)

This is definitely a family of racers, and they prove that have what it takes to win races.

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Jarrod McClure would once again finish literally right behind Billy Good for his 3rd Podium appereance this season. The High School Senior has proven to everyone that he is a threat to the championship this season and many, many more to come.

Congrats Jarrod:macho

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:51 PM
The Stock Riders dominated the podium for the 4th time this season and Tim Lenig celebrated his victory by actually spraying the champagne (Hey Billy, take lessons, if you win again, you better spray the champagne :D it makes for a better photo).

Admin
04-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, I will let Pappy take over from here, so I can start preparing the Afternoon Coverage :D

Pappy
04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
First I would like to thank Tim Lenig, the champagne tasted great!:D More proof that I will go to any length, and bare any burden to bring you closer to the action!

Utility Unlimited

Kevin Schmitt gets ready for the start. He managed to finish 14th aboard his Polaris.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Ron Moore hadn't raced a GNCC since the opening round, but at Steele Creek he was all business and took home a solid 6th place finish!

Pappy
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
John Ribley grabbed the holeshot and raced hard, hard enough to earn himself a 3rd place. Consistancy is paying off as John is leading the points in Utility Unlimited.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Mark Rambo wasn't out of the picture at Steele Creek, he was in full focus driving hard on his V Force. Mark took the 13th spot.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Utility Stock

Utility Stock rider Micheal Swift rode a solid race finishing 2nd in his class. He is currently the points leader after 4 rounds. With 2 wins under his belt this season, he is well on his way for 2005!

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Mike Penland and Ken Robey ham it up for ATVriders.com before the start.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Mike Penland on the gas as usual!

Mike currently is only 1 point behind class leader Micheal Swift. He finished 1st at Steele Creek giving him 4 top 5 finishes on the season.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Micheal Swift chasing down Penland. I can only imagine what he and Penland are thinking when they are within sight of each other on the course!

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Utility Modified

After missing the Texas round, Brock Parker has been on a roll. Finishing in the top 3 for the last 3 rounds has him moving up to 6th in the class.

Here he is shown on his way to a 2nd place finish.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
After grabbing a commanding holeshot, Jim Stack kept up a blistering race but fell short of his goal of a win. Jim finished 4th at Steele Creek and holds the 4th spot in this class.

Riding such a large quad has to be a handfull but Jim seems to have it all under control.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Brandon Lockhart and Tim White battle early in the race.

Tim White finished 5th in class.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Brandon Lockhart finished 6th after battling his share of a mud and rut filled track!

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
C Class 16-21

Brent Foltz riding hard to secure himself a 2nd place class finish. After the first 4 rounds, he holds the class points lead.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Mason Stephens made the trip from his home in Wayne West Virginia to due battle at Steele Creek. This was his 2nd GNCC event this season finishing 14th at the General but a DNF at Steele Creek:(

Pappy
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
C Class 29-34

Mr Cardio Stack Jason Bougher was looking sharp before the start. Jason improved his finish over the last round and took home the 5th position at Steele Creek!

Pappy
04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Jason gives a tug on his roll-offs and checks out his machine in an open section of track.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
C Class 35+

Alan Copeland aka "GUMP" rode to the 9th spot in his class.

Pappy
04-05-2005, 09:08 PM
First Year Racer 16-24

Richard Edwards provided me with the best shot of the morning as he hammers across the creek section. Richard finished 6th in his class, quite an improvement over his 38th place at the General!

Pappy
04-05-2005, 09:15 PM
An unidentified rider sends up a roll of murky Steele Creek water as he emerges from under the bridge!

That wraps up our AM coverage. I hope everyone made it home safe with the severe weather that settled in the area.

See you all at the next round!

gump
04-05-2005, 11:42 PM
here's one of me when i was clean.. :D

cliq20
04-06-2005, 08:37 AM
is penland back on a prairie?

jcsact
04-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I think he is running both the BF and the Prairie this year.

Good Job Harlen. I think you might need to invest in a case of Lock-tite. Good luck in S.C. it will come around for you. Have you ever thought you might just have too many irons in the fire at once.:D

Traindog71
04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
that is me on the Team Green Brute Force

TLC
04-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Admin
Harlen Foley worked his way up to 9th by the end of the 1st lap right behind Leing and they were running back to back in the last lap when Harlen's rear sprocket fell off after all the bolts came lose:(

Once again, I lost my chance for the podium in the last lap. When my sprocket fell off, I heard a loud bang and the chain bound up on the front sprocket, so I knew I was done. Traci Cecco was right behind me, so I jumped off my quad and pushed her backwards until she had a clean line to get around. Meanwhile, Billy Good had caught back up and chased after Traci as they both took off together chasing after the leaders in their class.

Harlen Thanks again for your speedy reactions:)

Meat
04-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Congrats to Tim Lenig on his win !! Again proving that the fastest quad racers come from the Shamokin, Treverton and Sunbury PA triangle !!:cool:

TheJaspMan
04-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Nice coverage!