PDA

View Full Version : JE 11.5 to 1 piston

Blown 331
04-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Just want some input on this piston, I tried a search but JE is too short to come up. I want it to be as reliable as stock and run on pump gas. I think I heard some JE's were breaking, anyone else here that? Anyone have another suggestion? I found a good deal on this one is why I'm asking. What about the number of rings? Don't some pistons have less rings than others? What kind of difference can I expect? I thought the HRC kit made a huge difference and also thought the pipe made another huge difference.

Blown 331
04-05-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking this is a better buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4539715597&category=43977&sspagename=WDVW

Blown 331
04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
OK, me and my buddy are each buying these unless I get some bad feedback on them. 12 to 1 should be ok on 93 octane right? The YFZ is 11.9 and I think it requires 91 octane if I remember right. And I'm pretty sure the CRF is 12 to 1 also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=4540660949&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

1BAD4HUNDI
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
With an 11.5:1 I'm not sure how much of a gain you'll see, I have the 13.5:1 JE in mine and the increase is UNBELIVABLE!! I haven't heard of anyones JE breaking, I know 3 or 4 people with them and no problems yet. As far as pump gas goes, the 11.5:1 you'll definitly be able to run pump gas, if you get the HRC kit and a 13:1 you should be able to run 94( if you have access) This only works with the HRCh cam, due to the overlap in the cam. I've ridden a 450r with the 13:1 and the HRC kit, again the difference is unreal! The 13:1 is a 3 ringer where as the 13.5:1 is a 2 ring piston. The 11.5:1 should also be a 3 ring piston. If you have acess to good gas, get the higher comp., you won't regret it.

Blown 331
04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the HRC kit with a Yosh TRS full system. I have easy access to 110 leaded gas, it's $4 per gallon. Not a bad price I know but I want to run 93 octane. Every gas station has that.
So with the HRC kit and a 12 to 1 Wiesco I should be fine? You cant hardly beat a 12 to 1 piston with gaskets, rings, pin and clip for $173.

RedRacer44
04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
You can get the JE 13:1 piston for like $150 from JH Racing and it comes piston/rings/c-clip/pin.......maybe gasket too. Cant remember because they did the installation for me.

Ex_Rider43
04-05-2005, 08:34 PM
how about a 13:1 JE with CRF 2002 cam ??? is pump gas possible? 91 ?

RedRacer44
04-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Unless you have your cylinder coated, you cant run pump gas with the JE 13:1 piston. Well, you can but it'll start to "ping" and thats not good. I run 50/50 pump and race fuel at the dunes to save some $$$ but I run it straight at the MX races. The bike will also run like crap with the 91 or 93 octane. You cant half-***** it with a hi-comp piston. My cousin tried to on his 426EX w/ a 13.5:1 piston and it ate head-gaskets all the time because it was detonating right.

jeepnrocks
04-05-2005, 09:34 PM
the octane requirement also depends on the cam. I believe the more overlap a cam has the lower the dynamic compression. the hrc has alot of overlap so its dynamic compression is lower. I'm not saying that you don't need high quality fuel with the hrc cam and a HC piston by any means though. But I aam pretty sure you would need less octane with the hrc and hc piston as opposed to stock cam and hc piston
JE 13:1 piston 150 dollars shipped (http://****************.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=375)

DirtDevilBT
04-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Bad4 and Redracer, where is most of the powerband on a Hot Cams S2 with 12 or 13:1 piston? I have the 02 crf cam and some other mods, I like where the power is A LOT!!! But I want more without sacrificing reliability, ridability, and bottom-mid range PUNCH. <<<Stressing the bottom/mid power>>>Opinions welcome...

DirtDevilBT
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey Bad4 and Redracer, where is most of the powerband on a Hot Cams S2 with 12 or 13:1 piston? I have the 02 crf cam and some other mods, I like where the power is A LOT!!! But I want more without sacrificing reliability, ridability, and bottom-mid range PUNCH. <Stressing the bottom/mid power>Opinions welcome...

RedRacer44
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM
The power with my bike comes on from the bottom and pulls all the way to the rev limiter. The high comp. piston makes all the bottom end power and then the cam really starts ripping in 3rd and 4th gear in the high RPMs. The power is very usable, I raced my bike in XC race once and it was very managable in the woods (Mind you my bike is a MX race quad). Great power, great reliability, and pure fun to ride :D

dober250R
04-06-2005, 05:09 PM
JE piston =junk. Do a search on this website. Somebody started a thread, and the thing split right down the middle. I'm a wiseco guy myself, it's all user preference when it comes down to it. Under the right circumstances, any piece of equipment can and will eventually fail. I don't care how good the engineering is for a product. That's my opinion.

DirtDevilBT
04-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by dober250R
JE piston =junk. Do a search on this website. Somebody started a thread, and the thing split right down the middle. I'm a wiseco guy myself, it's all user preference when it comes down to it. Under the right circumstances, any piece of equipment can and will eventually fail. I don't care how good the engineering is for a product. That's my opinion.

Sounds a little condescending if you ask me. Making statements like JE pistons suck because one guy posted it is just wrong. My warrior has a good 60 hours on it's JE piston and WEB cam. JE and CP is all my cousin uses now when building decent dollar street/strip motors. I don't know the story and I wish someone could elaborate but I believe there to have been a time where wiseco had some ring problems? Something about the ring and ring groves not machined right, went on pissing people off for a while there. Not sure what the story is but like you said after the "JE=junk" statement, (and I'm paraphrasing) "they all have their lows".

RedRacer44
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
JE = Junk? I dont know about all that. I used Wiseco pistons in my 250R religiously and had no problems with them. Since switching to the 4-stroke, its been all JE pistons and have not had a problem yet. All my buddies are using them in their quads too and have nothing but great things to say about the performance/reliability. It's all user preference like ya said but there's no need to say someone's stuff is junk.

I'm guessing you've had some bad experiences with JE pistons? If not, I dont understand the statement? But hey, to each his own :rolleyes: