PDA

View Full Version : 300ex not running well

Jake250ex
04-05-2005, 10:37 AM
I have a mostly stock 2000 300ex and I cant find out what wrong with it. It sometimes is hard to start and sputters out and dies in the middle of riding often, especially when doing wheelies. My friend was riding it and the problem occourded istantly. It has also lost alot of power.

My first suspision is that the valves need adjusted, but that doesnt explain why it would die while wheelying

also, i figured there would be dirt in the carb, but then I dont think it woul run at all...

can anyone help me?

duke416ex
04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
It could run with some dirt in the carb, I would clean and readjust the carb first and see what that does.

Trevor
04-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I had that problem with my 300ex this fall. I bet if you take you gas tank off and drain it you'll find dirt and water in the bottom of it and it gets stured up when you wheele or jump it . Also take the fuel filter out of the shut off valve and clean it. That should fix your problem. Also clean the carb why you have the tank off!

budlack
04-05-2005, 12:08 PM
hey there....i have a 96 300ex.......and i cant figure out why honda used a metal gas tank on the 300ex but they do..........well i had the exact same issue about 3 years ago.....it was the tank, it had rusted inside and kept getting crap in the carb........i put a new Clark tank on there....plastic of coarse and hav never had the problem again.......do yourself a favor and get rid of the stock crap metal gas tank:)

good luck

Trevor
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
How much was your tank?

budlack
04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I wanna say it was around 100 bones......maybe as much as 125.00
but very worth it when you consider the damage all the rust could do to the carb and engine if it get in the oil.......
www.clarkemfg.com

Jake250ex
04-25-2005, 10:22 AM
well guys....

so far I have

cleaned out the carb, cleaned out the tank and petcock, recharged the battery, put in a new spark plug, put in premiuim gas, put a complete curtis sparks pipe (i dont think its gonna hel pit make it run better, but it may have changed the jetting)

AND IT STILL RUNS LIKE HELL!!!!

The only things I could think of is...

a) the valves need adjusted... I still cant think of why it would sputter and die while wheelying

b) when I last changed the oil and put on a new oil filter, I mixed 2 brands of oil

please help me!!

xx3003xrdrxx
04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
ill tell you exactly whats wrong with it . that curtis sparks screwed up you jettin , a buddy of mine just put one on his and it was running like heck to

budlack
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
well thats sucks.......i would bet that maybe a jetting issue, but it could be an electrical problem too.........try rejetting, it could be clogged with just a small peice of crap........and choking out

if that does not work, then start checking all your connections and reverse switch and coil and plug connection...

i had a problem with a coil on my old 300ex a while ago and it ran like crap, replaced coil and plug wire then it ran great.....

good luck.......

oh, and i dont think it could be the valves at all.

Johnny B
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Check your compression. if the rings on the piston are fryed it will still run but it will not run good. you said so your self it has lost power and stuff.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
rejett it or clean out the carb. hope i helped a bit

tolson
04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
check the timing. i had the same problem and it was electrical. have you messed with anything? sounds like something shorting when you ride that position. does it do it on the flat?

hondardr4life
04-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Im am the kids friend who just put a sparks pipe on mine. You will definetly need to rejet with that pipe, or it will run wayyy to lean. I think mine is running lean right now, because I will sometimes sputter or backfire when you get on the throttle hard. I would check my plug but xx3003xrdrxx has my tool kit. Chris- I need that toolkit back.

Jake250ex
04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Re jetting isnt the problem. It still ran bad with the stock exhaust and it ran perfect when I got it.