PDA

View Full Version : Burnin Oil

yellowWB400ex
04-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I took a ride yesterday and noticed after the ride oil didnt even touch the dipstick. It did like 3 days before that but now it doesnt. I run Valvoline atv oil non synthetic. So now my question what could be the problem would it be the rings or the cylindar walls. If the cylindar walls Im going to get a Wiseco .040 bore with a 11:1 comp and a hotcam and tusk or cosmetic gasket set. If I do this should I get a hotrod or stronger rod? or anything else to make it more reliable?

khen
04-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I personally wouldn't use the Tusk or Cheaper Cometic head gasket with the higher compression. Get the Cometic flexsteel head gasket. As far as rods go, results vary... seems to be a few stock rods that have broken lately which has me a bit spooked, but I think there are a lot of 11:1 and lower compression engines that haven't had a problem with the stock rod.

If I was you before I did anything I would try some better synthetic or semi-synthetic oil in a thicker weight like 15W-50. Mine burned some oil when I was using the conventional 10W-40 as well, but it's fine with the 15W-50 synthetic. That is unless you're looking for an excuse to go with a bigger/higher compression piston. ;)

duke416ex
04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I have used cometic and tusk gaskets and never had any trouble. I don't think that you will have any trouble with the rod either on a 11:1 comp. plus a new rod will require a lot more money to install(case splting) I run nothing but Honda gn4 in my bike, I haven't seen a 400 yet that doesn't burn a little oil, I would just keep watching it for a couple rides and go from there, if it burns a quart a ride, rebuild, if it burns 1/2 quart a month, don't worry bout it.

yellowWB400ex
04-05-2005, 05:57 PM
It burnt 1/2 qt.+ in about 2 or 3 rides. I run 10w 40 Valvoline. Will it be ok if I just keep addin oil or should I just rebuild? I havent noticed a power loss & I dont see smoke when I hammer on it.

duke416ex
04-05-2005, 07:18 PM
I would probably ride it a while and just keep checking it. Just start savin a little money til you have enough to build it like you want. Then when it happens, instead of just a piston and rings you can build it more and get more power:macho