PDA

View Full Version : Axle Removal

1krazyquadridr
05-13-2002, 10:00 AM
I need to take my old axle off to put my new LSR that is coming in. Does anyone have the directions to take the old one off. I've got everything off except for the stuff near the carrier. Any help?

Razorback
05-13-2002, 10:08 AM
unhook your brake caliper and take one side of the components completely off, for example, the left tire, left hub, and sprocket. the old axle should slid out. if you're not replacing the bearings or the bearing carrier, be sure to lube it up real good.

Quadfather
05-13-2002, 01:53 PM
If you plan on riding in the next few weeks, don't tear into it yet. Lonestar axles are on backorder. I'm waiting on one too.

Moto92
05-13-2002, 10:02 PM
I heard that axles only come out in one direction, which way is it?

1krazyquadridr
05-14-2002, 09:37 AM
Ok how do I get the hub that the sprocket is attached to off? That is the only thing I have left to take off the left hand side.

Razorback
05-14-2002, 10:09 AM
i've not taken the axle out of a 400ex, only other quads, which the hub just slipped off the splines, but it took some wd-40 and tapping with a hammer to get it off. i don't know if the 400's sprocket hub comes out or not. in my directions above, i just assumed it does. it may be easier to take the brake rotor off. i'm sure there are many people on this board who have done this on the 400 who can tell you.

all that being said, i just checked the diagrams on ronnies.com and it shows the sprocket hub already installed, so maybe it's not supposed to come off. hopefully, someone else can help.

05-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Kurt you don't need to take the sprocket hub off,,the new one will have one on it..plus the hub is put on with a press,,good luck tryin to get one off,,I did and I didn't even budge it I believe they use like a 10 ton press to get the sprocket hubs on:eek: .

If your lookin at the rear end of the quad the axle slides out to the left..take off everything you see on the rearend,,the axle-nut is the hardest part of changing an axle,,I can do a complet axle swap in about 30 minutes....PS..buy an aftermarket axle nut..:D

Crowdog
05-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Can I use my stock axle nut?

Crowdog

05-15-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Crowdog
Can I use my stock axle nut?

Crowdog

YEs you can,,but you wanna use an aftermarket one,,the stocker will keep coming loose unless you weld it on there..:eek:

Crowdog
05-15-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico

YEs you can,,but you wanna use an aftermarket one,,the stocker will keep coming loose unless you weld it on there..:eek:

Oh. That's not good.

Can anyone give me a quick step by step on how to do the swap?

Thanks,

Crowdog