PDA

View Full Version : PC4000 power cylinder

ZQ8Dude
04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
what do you guys think of this? for 950, its a bolt on 440 kit. the cylinder has the studs in deeper for extra strength

i was gonna go the 426 route, but a reliable 440 sounds more enticing. and the price is right...also the 450/465 kits sounds nice, but im leary of the "case machining required"

http://www.duncanracing.com/prod/322

cals400ex
04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
i would just put in a larger sleeve in your bike and heavy duty head studs. it would be quite a bit cheaper. also, you will want to at least check how the sleeve fits into the case. i run a tapered sleeve from LA performance and they claim you don't need to bore the case. my sleeve fit in the cases fine but i wasn't going to install it without smoothing a bit of the cases down. the sleeve can expand when it gets hot and you do need a bit of clearance in there. i was thinking 0.020" clearances is preferred (however, that is off the top of my head and i am not 100% positive). i just used a dremel tool and packed some paper towels and some spray insulation in there so nothing would get in the bottom end.

ZQ8Dude
04-05-2005, 12:26 AM
i guess i just like the idea of it being a bolt on kit. something i could throw together in a weekend. and the ability to go back to stock bore if i started having trouble with it.

as well as the fact that 950 is a bargain compared to other bolt on kits(like 1500 bucks)

cummingetit
04-05-2005, 01:47 PM
If you are going to go that route go with the 465, put a good rod in there when you have the case machined. Heck get it stroked at the same time. just depends on how far you want to take it.

ZQ8Dude
04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
what has to be machined exactly?

i was thinking 440 would be as far as i need. i just want to make it as fast/faster then my friends predator.

plus the 465 would be rather unreliable wouldnt it?

cummingetit
04-05-2005, 06:59 PM
The 465 will make more heat, so to be safe I added FDO's dual oil cooler setup to my 13:1 493.
There needs to be room for the sleeve to go into the cases.

Unreliable and 400ex is hard to use in the same sentence, IF you buy quality parts put together right and MAINTAINED it should be just as "reliable." You also need to look at the other parts that are effected by adding more power (tranny, crank, rod, starter, chain & sprokets, head studs.........) Just adding power is where I think most people go wrong. The 400 ex was designed to have about twenty somthing horse power.