PDA

View Full Version : HELP w/300ex rocker arm removal?

DEWIE
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
This question is for those of you that have replaced your 300ex stock rocker arms with hardened rockers. How did you get the dowel pins out of the cylinder head cover so you could remove the stock rocker arms? Do I have to take it to the dealer to get them removed? The manual says that the dowel pin remover is not available in the USA. ??? Thank You for any help.

Lori

dork
04-04-2005, 11:55 PM
you can do it yourself. in the old 350x manual, (which has the same rocker setup as the 300ex) honda says to grind a notch in the bottom part of the dowel, and drive it out with a chisel or screw driver through the adjuster hole. but i take a vice grip, clamp it on good and tight as close to the cover as possible, and use a punch and hammer to drive it out, rotating it 180 degrees between hits. i stick the punch through the adjuster hole onto the vice grip anvil. this way i'm pounding on the vice grip, and if clamped enough it doesn't move and leave much marks.

Cody_300ex
04-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by DEWIE
This question is for those of you that have replaced your 300ex stock rocker arms with hardened rockers. How did you get the dowel pins out of the cylinder head cover so you could remove the stock rocker arms? Do I have to take it to the dealer to get them removed? The manual says that the dowel pin remover is not available in the USA. ??? Thank You for any help.

Lori

Yes, that is a MAJOR pain in the *****. I had to put the dowel pin in a press, then twist, pull, tug, pry on it before it would come off. I also heated it with a propane torch.

dirtmomma
04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
ahhhh it's a BIG OL PAIN IN THE *** :D:D

We tried & tried w/ ours & finally said heck w/ it & just used the valve cover my hardened ones came w/ :) yea we cheated LOL ;)

DEWIE
04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info dork. You explained it great. We did it this morning without too much prblem. :]

Lori