PDA

View Full Version : 416 Rod Snapped!!?? went clank clank clank

400exredrider
04-04-2005, 06:43 PM
hey guys,,, just got the 416 done and 3rd ride and i adjusted the WB e series,, added plates,,, take it out pull a quick wheelie,, and boggs,, thenk clank clank clank clank until i stop,,, i was thinking cam chain but i opend up the valve adjust bolts and the cam sprocket and chain were still there,, i dunno if it could have been a valve get smacked or if it was the rod bearing or the rod it self but im leanin towards rod...:( about how much is a hardend rod and would you think the piston is messed up?? its hard for me to tell.. i assembled it all and ive done it before so no big deal but this thing put out tremendous power until so i know something gave on her,, let me know any guesses you guys may have on it and like i said, im not tearin back into it ill leave that to someone else for this,, anyone ever had a rod snap on a 416!? the setup is below.. tell me what you think

hoser 400ex
04-04-2005, 08:14 PM
send it to powroll and get it stroked!!!:devil:

markk
04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
OOHHHHHH i want my motor to do that lol!!!

That way I can stop racing for a few months and actully get my motor built to the 440stroker!!!!!!

Good luck with it, But i would recomend a 440/450 stroker!

400exredrider
04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
motor was fresh,,, so i dont wanna stroke it already,, i ahve to dig in tommorow and check to see if it was the rod for sure,, it didnt damage the case anywhere so i have second thoughts on it being the crank

crazyatvn
04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
If it was the rod you are going to have a big bill ahead of you.

400exredrider
04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
yeah im hoping its not the rod
it didnt send anything thru the case so im thinking it may be something else

TCracin440ex
04-05-2005, 12:15 AM
i dont think it was your rod because if it was your rod it woulda busted the case open...even at idol it woulda busted the case...i had a rod snap on my old honda recon and all it was doing was idoling...and busted clean thru the case

i think your valves fell dude...that happened to my old 92 250x i was ridding thru the woods and i heard clunk and the bike just stalled...took the topend appart and the valves had fell and embeded themselves in the piston....check your valves i honestly dont believe its the rod

04-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Usually when strain is put on a motor the weakest link will break. My guess would be that the rod is not broken in half, but it might be lose where it is attached to the crankshaft. If you open it up and pull the crankshaft make sure the rod is not able to move side to side. My old XR 80 had this problem.

04-05-2005, 12:44 PM
If you want to know if the piston is bad pull your spark plug and shine it with a flash light also check the plug for metal from it. Maybe it hit the valves?

400exredrider
04-05-2005, 02:00 PM
im tearin it all down tonigt, im thinkin it was one of the bearings or the valves im leanin towards valves because of what it sounds like when i crank it sounds like loose metal.. ill check it tonight when i get time and let you know who is right:)