PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor question

Warnerade
04-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I bent my axle at a race recently, I could hear my brake squeking, like my rotor was bent as well. I took it to work with me and ran an indicator across it in a few sections on both sides. One side was warn pretty uneven, having a .010" difference across the braking section. the other end had just a .001 difference. the other side had a .002 and a .007 difference. My question is would this make my pads were quickly, or is it small enough it wont make a difference. also, if i took it to a surface grinder and ground it smooth all the way across, then ran an india stone across the braking surface, would it still work..or is their a limit as to how thin the rotor can be.

LazeR
04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
don't know about grinding it but im pretty sure with it even being bent a lil bit that it will cause your brake pads to wear prematurely (sp)

Warnerade
04-04-2005, 07:22 PM
not grinding it with a bench grinder...im talking about a surface grinder, it can get a perfectly smooth finish to an accuracy of .0005". Ive decided to just buy a new one, i dont like the fact of taking all that off of the rotor.

LazeR
04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
not grinding it with a bench grinder...im talking about a surface grinder, it can get a perfectly smooth finish to an accuracy of .0005". Ive decided to just buy a new one, i dont like the fact of taking all that off of the rotor.

yea thats prolly your best bet...and i knew it wasnt a bench grinder lol, just didnt want to say "surface grinder" im lazy. It would probably work but i dont know, i would say you buying a new one was the best choice

Warnerade
04-04-2005, 07:40 PM
ok, i wanst sure if you knew what that was...i figured a majority of the people here dont. I wouldnt leave the grinded surface...after i was gonna grind it i planned on spinning scotch brite around it, or take an india stone and rough it up a bit so the break pads seat.