PDA

View Full Version : Help take cam out of 400ex

191motocross
04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Anyone know how to take camshaft out of a 400ex. I am replacing the head gasket and I dont know what to do once I get to the cam. I can get two of the three nuts off but not the third. I don't want to hurt anything so I thought I would see if anyone could tell me how to do it?

Thanks

nopulse95
04-04-2005, 04:22 PM
If your talking about the cap nuts for the head, there are 4 of them. On is right in front of the spark plug. You may have been forgetting that one. There are only two bolts that hold the cam on. Using a 17mm socket, rotate the motor counter clockwise untill you can get to the allen bolt for the cam sprocket, remove both of those bolts, and the cam chain tensioner,if you haven't already. The remove the cam chain, tie a string to it so it doesn't drop into the motor. The cam will pull right up.

BLEEDRED
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM
It is possible that you are missing one of the acorn nuts because it is covered with oil on the side opposite the chain. Use an 8MM allen to remove the cam sprocket bolts. Account for the bearings on either end of the cam and the dowels that hold the bearings in place. Also account for the spring and plundger under the cam. And take note of the position of the lobes. They should be facing down when the piston is at TDC. It's a little trickey to get the chain off the sprocket so you can pull the cam out...an extra set of hand will come in handy. Good luck.

Make sure you use medium thread locker when installing the cam sprocket bolts. Also make sure the chain side bearing is installed with sealed side out and make sure your sprocket goes on the right way with the tick marks facing out and lined up over head.

191motocross
04-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Yea I found the 4th nut after I wrote. Thanks for your help.

BLEEDRED
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Was it the one outside the head near the spark plug or covered in oil?

191motocross
04-05-2005, 11:34 AM
the one covered up with oil.