PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with raptors?

nobody1973
04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I sure see alot of people on here saying raptors are high maintnce quads and fall apart really easy. What I would really like to know is why? What make you all say they are high maintnce? I would also like to know what part of this bike falls apart so easy. Please can someone help me out on this. Thanks...

04-04-2005, 04:31 PM
poorly built...would be easier to say what Isn't wrong with them (only thing I can think of is they look cool)...they pretty much are just the worst wanna-be high performance ATV out there...

04-04-2005, 05:31 PM
over sized....stupid lookin.....poorly built....to many more reasons

jak1389
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
well i no on the 01 the trannys, way to tippy for the amount of power it has, but with the right aftermarket parts they could be amazin.

dopeyferree
04-05-2005, 03:18 AM
I have done a few things to my Raptor that has made it alot better. I admit in stock form there are some issues, but the tippy problem is resolved with a good set of shocks. Only unreliable if you dont take care of them. The 01's did have some tranny problems but those were taken care of in the later years. With a couple mods the motor really makes alot of power.

raptorrider686
04-05-2005, 06:18 PM
You want to know the funny thing? I have a Raptor and not once has it broken down or given me problems.

Raptorride
04-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Sure are alot of raptor haters out there. I dont have a problem with mine.

jak1389
04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
well my friend has the 01 andhis tranny is goin, the timing chain damaged his piston valves and pron a whole lot more w dont no about yet, the rims bent, and his radiator leaked. it is a very problemed quad. hes looking at fixing it all up and getting something else.

festa171
04-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I have a raptor and know several people who also own one. They are not a quarter as bad as all these kids riding 300exs claim.

01s had tranny problems. Some people have also experienced problems with the starter. The tranny problem was fixed for 02 and later while the starter can be fixed with a one way replacement. Out of all the people I know, the only ones that replaced the one way did it as a precaution. From what I understand this has also been fixed in 03s and later. I have an 02 and not had any problem.

This is a pointless argument because the general opinion here is provided by people who never owned a raptor or must have known a friend who never maintained it.

One weak point I will mention is the upper a-arms. They are weak. If you don't want to go with extended arms, I would suggest ricky stator upper a-arms. Much stronger and are camber adjustable.

DirtDevilBT
04-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by jak1389
well my friend has the 01 andhis tranny is goin, the timing chain damaged his piston valves and pron a whole lot more w dont no about yet, the rims bent, and his radiator leaked. it is a very problemed quad. hes looking at fixing it all up and getting something else.

Sounds like someone doesn't know how to take care of their quad. "rims bending"===how dare those raptors, pieces of shiit. I'm with you festa, my cousin has an 03 raptor and runs the hell out of it. Crazy fast on the trails and desert, tipiness what tippiness? It does have tippy concerns but it's not bad for what it is.

The only problem with the quad period! is the carbs. Kind of screwy and not worth a damn. He has dual 35 FCR's now to help.:D

thomps6s
05-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Like someone stated above the 01's were full of problems. I beleive they have got allot better. Look at this post that I created last month after getting back from the dunes. The 03 raptor was going bigger and riding harder than anyone out there during the whole week we were there. I ride with him all the time and he has no issues. The real issue is that people out here hear from one or two people that they are crap and they just agree and start flaming people.
Everyone called his wheeler a "craptor" before we went to the dunes. When the week was over they all said that they could never call it that again because he rode it harder than anyone that went on the trip.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but seriously, the flaming of the raptor all the time is a little ridiculous. Especiallly if you have never ridden one or don't even own one.

http://www.akraix.com/cgi-bin/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=655

Eddiesanders250
05-05-2005, 04:20 PM
everything

DWT74
05-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I had a 03 LE and it leaked oil like crazy, And i could not keep a rear skid on that thing. Althought it run like a scalded dog i like my Z better, i did have starter problems with it also, the ground clearance sucks on a Raptor, if you run over a penny it scrubs

xx3003xrdrxx
05-10-2005, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by festa171
[B] They are not a quarter as bad as all these kids riding 300exs claim.

wtf that mean ! up yours

YFZ450Ridr
05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
myself, i think raptors are fine. yes they are a little top heavy and have a short axle. but once u get passed that its a great bike. raptors dont fall apart easy, its just the idiot owner doesnt take proper care of it. they have gobs of power and are good for all around use i think. most of you probablly disagree with me but oh well.

DirtDevilBT
05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by DWT74
I had a 03 LE and it leaked oil like crazy, And i could not keep a rear skid on that thing. Althought it run like a scalded dog i like my Z better, i did have starter problems with it also, the ground clearance sucks on a Raptor, if you run over a penny it scrubs

1st: where was it leaking oil?

2nd: every quad has the same ground clearance, if you needed more go with 22"s, otherwise you take a 20---half is 10---half or that is 5---most quads using 20" tires will run just under 5" and if you need anymore than that and don't want to get 22"s---take the skid plate off.:rolleyes:

DWT74
05-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Front sprocket inner seal, so i traded it for a CBR600RR. And as far as taking the skid off then i would be buying sprockets and disc and a swingarm, i live in the south and there are rocks everywhere. As far as the tire height it might bring it up a little but the Raptor has a low hung skid so its still gonna hit, i dont want a goofy lookin raptor with 25" tires on the back, if i wanted that i would have bought a Warrior. And as far as the leak goes it would dump all its oil on a 2 hr trip. I did replace the seal on the outside but i wasnt tearing down a new engine for that ill just get rid of it like i did and enjoy my Honda.

hardrider6976
05-18-2005, 03:21 PM
i HAD a friend that owned an 01' raptor. in stock form, it was top-heavy causing it to love wheelies and donuts. fun to play on but it had severe handling faults when trail riding. everything lasted fine for the 1st year. after that the starter system started to fail. i would literally have to kick the starter to get it to engage. around the same time the clutches went bad, no biggie cause its just maintenance items. i replaced(i'm certified mechanic) with barnett clutch system. they were fine until the idiot changed his clutch action feel(caused the plates to burnup). installed 2nd set EBC kevlor kit, those lasted a month. of course thats when he told me he changed the cable adjustment. the quad handled tons better when i installed works performance suspension(most important modification).

i'm not trying to rag on the raptor, most of the problems listed above were rider error. take the time to learn your machine and don't skimp out onusing quality parts.

TRXRacer1
06-03-2005, 02:31 PM
The craptor is a fair machine. It's a typical high power capable Yamaha. They like stuffing a high potential motor in a crappy chassis (Tri-Z, Banshee, Raptor). You CAN build them to handle a lot better but the fact still remains that any 400 or 450 is a better track and trail machine. The truth is any one you buy off the shelf now is going to be a good reliable machine but you wouldn't catch me buying one of those crappy handling things.

raptorrider686
06-27-2005, 10:06 AM
There is nothing wrong with Raptors. Well actually thats not true. I have a 01 Raptor. And guess what happened to it. The second gear fell out of place. So another typical transmission problem with the 01 Raptor. Other then that it runs like a dream.

HondaRacing23
07-24-2005, 07:33 AM
the raptor 700 looks sweet but its to much bike i think. i wouldnt buy one...