PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter cover

JForestZ34
04-04-2005, 02:05 PM
When you guys change your oil on your 400ex after you put the new filter in and a new o-ring. When you tighten the bolts down and run the quad for a little bit do you guys ever have alittle bit of oil collect on the bottom of the filter cover on the outside. Did I tighten the bolts tight enough? I don't wnat to make it to tight. I've changed the oil before but I'm not really good at telling if the bolts are tight enough. Have you guys seen this oil collection before. It's not alot b;ut it concerns me that maybe dirt could get in.

James

PunkA$$
04-05-2005, 06:06 AM
What kind of condition is the o-ring in?

DeerNuts
04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Either your o-ring is blown (not sealing) or your cover is simply not tight enough.

Either way, there should be no oil AT ALL dripping out! Def. not a good thing. Get that fixed pronto.

JForestZ34
04-05-2005, 12:23 PM
The o-ring is brand new. Every time I change the oil I replace the o-ring when I change the filter. The oil doesn't really drip is just kind of hangs on the bottom of the cover. It might just be that I put oil on the new oring and that's what's running down. When would I know how tight the bolts are. I don't want to overtighten them. When I tighten them with my 1/4 in drive rachet I turn until it gets hard to turn with one hand. I think that should be good. I've read what the torque should be but I don't have a torque wrench that could read that low.

James

PunkA$$
04-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Don't tighten the bolts down any more. Over tightening the bolts will not help the o-ring seal better. The o-ring fits inside the housing, not against it.

Is it possible you got the wrong o-ring this time.

JForestZ34
04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't think so, it's whatever the parts guy gave me. I think it was just the oil that I put on the o-ring before I put the cover on, and the excess squished out. When would you now that the bolts are tight. Just snug them up right? Don't try to really tighten them just snug them up. Ok that sounds easy enough.

James

DeerNuts
04-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes just snug the bolts down and youll be fine. Too tight is broke; not tight enough can result in broke also though.

If youve done this before then why are you concerned. I dont have a torque wrench either. Just snug them puppies down and you'll be 100% fine. Its not that critical of a part; just make sure it holds on ok. As long as only a little oil came out, then of course it was just the excess.

Relax man, youre fine.

400exrider707
04-06-2005, 12:23 PM
How about you wipe the oil hanging off of it with a rag and then ride it to see if any more oil comes out, then you will know if it was just from the oil you "squished" out from tightening or if it is actually leaking.

JForestZ34
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Well I went for a ride today and so far so good. It's not leaking. But I did notice that there is just alittle oil on the bottom of the cover. Even after I wipe it. I'll give it a little time and see what happens

James