PDA

View Full Version : why honda, why?

zlam27
04-04-2005, 11:45 AM
im sure this has been posted and reposted but i just wanted to say that i am thoroughly dissatisfied with the fact that the 450R uses a kickstart.

unfortunately, yamaha had the right idea with the electric start which is easily changed over to kickstart if needed. this way, all rec. riders can buy it and leave it alone - the racers can sell the starter and buy the cheaper kickstart lever or kit.

they could have at least made it an option. i know it may seem trivial but its one of the biggest reasons that i will probably stick with my 400ex or possibly purchase a z400. the 450r seems to be a better xc or trail quad than racer anyway (or at least the yfz is more popular for mx and racing in general).

zach

JTRtrx250r
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
reliability!

That and they dont want their riders to have any right leg flab:blah: :D

Thump_It
04-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Quit being a Puss. They are easy to start. I can start mine while sitting down. People are so freakin lazy. To each his own I guess, but the kickstart excuse is getting old.:devil:

rollie
04-04-2005, 12:30 PM
they put a kick on it to loose weight...the battry and wires weight alot so kick is alot light...also its alot less to go wrong...i like the idea of a kick :cool:

represent618
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
kick-starters are for real men, maybe you should look into a barbie jeep??? :rolleyes: they are fully auto.

BLEEDRED
04-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Quit being a Puss. :mad:

I was wondering if I could convert my EX to a kick, I have no need for the battery and I have no problem with a kick.

zlam27, you have electric start on your snow machine, I know I don't...never had a problem.

baja_racer
04-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Ouch....

But they are all right...............electric start and reverse is for girly quads.

wilkin250r
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree completely, they should have made options both ways.

Me personally, I'm a big fan of electric start. Don't get me wrong, I like my 250r, and I'll trade performance for electric start any day. But if the performance is there, I would much rather have electric start, it's just so handy. If I ever buy a new 450, it will be the YFZ, and electric start is the main reason.

represent618
04-04-2005, 12:44 PM
i would suggest kotex double wings, sounds like you need alot of absorbency power.........

Matt37
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Electric start may be for "pusses" but some people do more than just ride on a track. Alot of people trail ride like me. Everytime i ride behind my house there is this kid wit a blaster and i laugh because i always see him getting off and pushing it and all that stuff.

04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Matt37
Everytime i ride behind my house there is this kid wit a blaster and i laugh because i always see him getting off and pushing it and all that stuff. blasters are made by yamaha...theres the reason he's always pushing it ;)

jacobw
04-04-2005, 12:57 PM
you guys are talking about kickstart being for pussies keep in mind mult-time gncc champ rides a yfz with and eletric start so I guess Bill Ballance is a ***** then according to your defenition of rider but he seems to kick arse hmmm........:confused: :ermm:

Sportrax10
04-04-2005, 01:04 PM
In any type of racing, or just rec riding... why is there any advantage to having e-start other then being lazy?

:confused:

JTRtrx250r
04-04-2005, 01:09 PM
its nothing but a personal preferance, I know I like to not have to worry about a charged battery and exess electrical to deal w/, but at the same time its nice to have .... especially when you kill the motor on a hill climb:D

no need to get any panties bunched in a wad over it, just be lucky you dont have to bump start em:blah:

Matt37
04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
blasters are made by yamaha...theres the reason he's always pushing it

LOL, That is what i think everytime i pass him. Stupid yamahas :D

theTman
04-04-2005, 02:03 PM
if you cant kick it over then your week...i can kick my moms BFs over fine

zedicus00
04-04-2005, 02:17 PM
i prefer the simplicity of kickstart. my shins dream of the day i go to an electric start setup.

armoks
04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
they put a kick on it to loose weight...the battry and wires weight alot so kick is alot light...also its alot less to go wrong...i like the idea of a kick :cool:

Not to start any thing.....but in the last ATV sport weighing them all the honda was HEAVIER then the Yammi :huh

But I can go either way on the kickstart issue, either way works as long as it starts the quad:D

nacs400ex
04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by zlam27
im sure this has been posted and reposted but i just wanted to say that i am thoroughly dissatisfied with the fact that the 450R uses a kickstart.

unfortunately, yamaha had the right idea with the electric start which is easily changed over to kickstart if needed. this way, all rec. riders can buy it and leave it alone - the racers can sell the starter and buy the cheaper kickstart lever or kit.

they could have at least made it an option. i know it may seem trivial but its one of the biggest reasons that i will probably stick with my 400ex or possibly purchase a z400. the 450r seems to be a better xc or trail quad than racer anyway (or at least the yfz is more popular for mx and racing in general).

zach

If you cant get used to kicking over a 450, then you should still be riding a 400ex.

Kickstarts are far more reliable, lighter, faster to start IMO. MX Bikes dont have electric start so why do quads "categorized by the manufacturer" as a race quad. If you wanna put around and push a button buy a 400ex.

FoxRacing81
04-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I like kickstart...on 450r, it's a nice feature I think...cept when it kicksback...man oh man does that hurt...hey least its better then 250r. My 250r snapped back everytime I'd ride it...and the pipe!!! oh man...I had a huge 1st degree burn on my leg from wearing shorts and riding it...hurt like a *****...had a big big big nice and black mark on my leg for about a month...it started peeling which made it hurt even more...Pretty soon I couldn't stand it so one day I just grab a piece of it, pushed my teeth together, closed my eyes, and pulled as hard as I could....felt better once I got it off....

anyway...kickstart=nice feature IMO...although you kinda have to be a lil strong or weigh a lil to kick it...my friend can stand on one of the kickers on a 450 and it wont move.

-Mx

chucked
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Well everyone is putting out their opinions, here's mine: It will not be a factor when I am deciding on my next quad.

Honda400exrox
04-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Suck it up and get kickin, i have a kickstart on my bike and im ok with it

wilkin250r
04-04-2005, 03:15 PM
I like electric start for cold mornings. My 250r will fire, but won't rev, and won't idle properly until slightly warm. I usually have to start it three or four times before it will stay running.

I've killed it on a hill many occasions, electric start would have been nice.

Kicking a high-compression 340cc engine isn't always easy. On occasion at the dunes, I'm riding with a passenger (spare me the lecture), and we often stop to chat. I have to make the passenger get off whenever I kick the beast. Electric start would allow the passenger to stay on while starting.

My girlfriend is a good rider, and loves to ride my quad, but she can't start it very well, especially if it's cold. Electric start would allow us to trade back and forth more easily.

When sharing my quad with new riders (usually my 250X), I need to be sure they can start it on their own if they accidently kill the engine, as beginners will often do. Electric start would be handy.

If it's just racing, or I'm riding alone, I don't really care either way. But most of my riding is in a group, with frequent stops to chat, check scenery, or discuss our destination options. Also, I'm frequently riding with a passenger at the dunes. Laziness, pussiness, call it whatever you want. For my type of riding, electric start would be really convenient, and would certainly outweigh the disadvantage of added weight from the battery and starter.

jdwxv3
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I am actually getting rid of my YFZ b/c I want a kick start. My YFZ has had numrous Electric Problems over and over. I cant wait to kick on the 450R. My younger BRO has one and he is top 3 in the holeshot everytime he races. I will admit the elec is nice if it works.

04-04-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p94b6c540f5bda58d42a8bc37560c87e1/f84d6cf0.jpg e-start RULES! :rolleyes:

Quad18star
04-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Good thing I don't have a kicker on my YFZ , or else I'd really be up chit creek . I can't imagine being able to kick over a 450cc quad with a busted leg .

I read a few people safe it's lighter ... but don't the Honda and YFZ weigh in at the same thing ?? Hrmmm !!! Next time you see someone stall their 450 half way through a race ... and they nearly kill themself trying to kick it over , think about the racer that stalls his quad ... doesn't have to kill himself kicking a quad over .. instead he pushes a button and doesn't lose 10 positions !!!:D

yellow400ex05
04-04-2005, 05:03 PM
The good thing about electric start is that if your racing in a race and crash and you have kick start it is very critical that u get ur machine running again. But when you have kick start it takes a while to start it again in most cases. On the other hand electric start will get you up and running quicker.

IMO I prefer both!:macho

I guess you can call me a sissyguy beacause I prefer elctric start and kick?:confused:

jdwxv3
04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
A guy I race with named Darrin Polack's YFZ burnt to the Ground at Kahoka Last year. Yamaha did not stand behind it and he was out a 2004 YFZ.

Punk'd
04-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Very easy to start:blah:

chucked
04-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p94b6c540f5bda58d42a8bc37560c87e1/f84d6cf0.jpg e-start RULES! :rolleyes:

holy snap!

Mxjunkie
04-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I like kick start for riding, but dead starts in gncc's and hare scrambles eletric start is nice, but its too easy lol, I'd rather have the challenge of kicking it instead of pushing a button.

I think honda did a REALLY good thing making it a kick start, Less bs to mess with and you can run them alot longer, no batterys and such, Its just a really good design!

All I gotta say is, if you are scared to kick it dont buy the fricking thing, they arent even that bad, I'm 140 and I can kick em, quit being a baby about it jesus lol, Its like those guys that put cup holders and chit on there quads :rolleyes:

04-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jdwxv3
A guy I race with named Darrin Polack's YFZ burnt to the Ground at Kahoka Last year. Yamaha did not stand behind it and he was out a 2004 YFZ. typical yamaha customer service...they refuse to stand behind their product because they know they suck...my friends craptor blew up like 2 months after he bought it and they refused to help whatsoever.

Mxjunkie
04-04-2005, 06:57 PM
typical yamaha customer service...they refuse to stand behind their product because they know they suck...my friends craptor blew up like 2 months after he bought it and they refused to help whatsoever.

I dont even think Yamaha has a serivce yamaha type thing like Honda does, If they do anyone that knows let me know! I need some stuff for my banchit :)

roostin_dale
04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
I didnt read any of this thread but my opinion is that I love kick start. I race youth production and i just switched form a 250x to a 300ex and hate the electric start...too much trouble. Also osld the yfz to get a 450r...

"real racers kick start their bikes" -Tim farr

hondardr4life
04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I really wish my 300ex had a kicker. I think 450r's are really easy to kick over. A kicker is just less that you have to worry about, no starters, batteries, wires, cylonoids. Theres just less to go wrong.

People ride red because of reliability. The yamaha may be faster, but I would NEVER consider buying one over a 450R.

sloppyjoe
04-04-2005, 08:31 PM
the thing is HILL CLIMBING, if u stall going up a really steep hill, like i like to do, then electric start is going to save u'r ***. i'd like to see someone kick start one when u'r holding all brakes and leaning forward just to stay on. JMO i'd like to see the 450r with electric start!!

roostin_dale
04-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by sloppyjoe
the thing is HILL CLIMBING, if u stall going up a really steep hill, like i like to do, then electric start is going to save u'r ***. i'd like to see someone kick start one when u'r holding all brakes and leaning forward just to stay on. JMO i'd like to see the 450r with electric start!!

learn to ride and not kill it then...!;)

markk
04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by zlam27

zach

Have u talked to your Gynecologist latley, CUZ YOUR A P^$$Y!!!!!!!!!!

SRH
04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
hahah thats such bs yamaha will help way more than honda , ive owned both, if your motor goes in your yfz take it to dealer let one of there mehcanics tear it down yamaha helps with cost, honda has nothing to lose and tells you to **** off basically, you know why? honda is known as reliable and its not going to hurt them 1 bit if your pissed there reputation will always stand

as far as yfzs burning down i dont care who you are, if you say duuuuuuuuuur im gonan save 3 ounces hack off all these wires and switches then im gonna hook a tether like this without knowing what your doing your asking for it, i can gurantee if left stock that wouldnt of burnt to the ground, if you dont like it throw a kicker on for backup its inexpensive

yeah kick is reliable but it sucks ...you know why? mx/sx you dont have time to re kick your bike and get it going your gonan lose positions, with my 400ex and yfz ive stalled it and restarted and never skipped a beat, with kickstart i would of been screwed, so you real men and racers can stick with kicking

tim farr gets paid to make up excuses for honda stupidity of not adding a magic button , forward kick is also awkward, especially with high comp motors

450rs are nice quads im sure, but i know there not on par with a yfz until you have some big dollars into them, and from what ive seen from 450rs my yfz is just as reliable and the frame stands up better , as far as motors both of them go, face it quad guys cant maintain there stuff like bike riders do because half the recreational riders are buying race quads with no idea how to maintain them, that doesnt happen in the bike world

SRH
04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
typical yamaha customer service...they refuse to stand behind their product because they know they suck...my friends craptor blew up like 2 months after he bought it and they refused to help whatsoever.

they have a 6 month warranty it sounds like your freind is a bit abusive and caused the damage or the dealer is screwing you around, call yamaha and talk to them...i think yamaha was or is the nly manufactuer to offer a warranty on mx bikes

JTRtrx250r
04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by sloppyjoe
the thing is HILL CLIMBING, i'd like to see someone kick start one when u'r holding all brakes and leaning forward just to stay on. been doin' it for yrs... thats if I dont make it:D

TheFontMaster
04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
I hated having an electric start on my 300ex. For the 2 1/2 years I had it, half if not more of the time I was having problems with the wiering. That's one of the reosons I decided to go with a 250r over any other quad.

wheeltrax
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
I like the convenience of the electric start on my 400, but if it was kick start i wouldnt really mind much. I had kick on my 250x and it always started in 2-3 kicks. The only machine i ever hated the kick start on was a 85/86 Suzuki LT230s and thats becuase the kick start lever snapped in half and went into my leg.. leaving me with many stiches and an extremely sore leg. It went into the muscle.. not fun.

Quad18star
04-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by SRH
hahah thats such bs yamaha will help way more than honda , ive owned both, if your motor goes in your yfz take it to dealer let one of there mehcanics tear it down yamaha helps with cost, honda has nothing to lose and tells you to **** off basically, you know why? honda is known as reliable and its not going to hurt them 1 bit if your pissed there reputation will always stand

as far as yfzs burning down i dont care who you are, if you say duuuuuuuuuur im gonan save 3 ounces hack off all these wires and switches then im gonna hook a tether like this without knowing what your doing your asking for it, i can gurantee if left stock that wouldnt of burnt to the ground, if you dont like it throw a kicker on for backup its inexpensive

yeah kick is reliable but it sucks ...you know why? mx/sx you dont have time to re kick your bike and get it going your gonan lose positions, with my 400ex and yfz ive stalled it and restarted and never skipped a beat, with kickstart i would of been screwed, so you real men and racers can stick with kicking

tim farr gets paid to make up excuses for honda stupidity of not adding a magic button , forward kick is also awkward, especially with high comp motors

450rs are nice quads im sure, but i know there not on par with a yfz until you have some big dollars into them, and from what ive seen from 450rs my yfz is just as reliable and the frame stands up better , as far as motors both of them go, face it quad guys cant maintain there stuff like bike riders do because half the recreational riders are buying race quads with no idea how to maintain them, that doesnt happen in the bike world

I agree with you . It's amazing at how many people can screw up installing things . All it takes is a bad hack job on wires and things start sparking ... which lead to fires .

As far as reliability ... I had my problems with my YFZ battery . Yamaha sells a fix for $50 .... on the other hand ... I've seen one 450r with a broken case because something screwed up with the kicker ... and I've also seen 2 other 450rs with frames that were destroyed after a few MX races . Maybe they were lemons ( just like every company has) .... but it sure made me look differently at the "reliability" of Honda's NEW machines .

I'm not brand biased either .... I've owned a Suzuki LT 250r ... I own an 86 Honda TRX 250 and I own a Yamaha YFZ . The TRX has been through hell and back and works great ... The Suzuki was a FAST bike ... And the YFZ handles like a dream .

zlam27
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
first of all, a special thanks to wilkin250r for backing me up and providing more examples and reasoning than i cared to put in my original post. thanks to those who also reasoned with me that electric start is nice.

next, i dont race so why not have the convenience of a kick start. the one time i did race, i got the holeshot with my electric start 400ex. if you know how to ride and launch, either one can be quick.

also, i guess im a ***** because i want electric start on my quad. i really didnt think name-calling was necessary to express an opinion but to each his own i guess. trust me guys, strength is not an issue. to all you naysayers, i owned a banshee before my 400ex so i dont need to listen to all of you who want to be an *** about your opinion. if you want to kickstart you quad, you dont hear me calling you morons for buying a honda that weighs the same or slightly more than a YFZ that can somehow come with elec. start. you are so concerned about weight savings, well the yammy somehow managed to be light and still offer the elec. start.

for all of you comparing yamaha elec. start problems to the honda, that is not a comparison. we are all well aware that the HONDA is the better product. yamahas come with all sorts of electrical crap so the elec. start is not necessarily at fault there (remember, i had a banshee - i actually know first hand).

wilkin is right on with the passenger thing, and also with the stopping to chat or for scenery. if i was fat and lazy you could all tell me to quit being lazy, but thats not the case. i just like the convenience factor.

i totally agree with the weight savings aspect of the kickstart. sure you dont have battery problems and the other electrical stuff, but if im not racing then why would i care so much? i guess we should all buy the YFZ because its lighter than the honda. also, every quad made should come with a kickstart because its such a pain and its so heavy. someone should tell warn to quit making lighter winches for sport quads because heaven forbid we add any GD weight to our ATV.

my 400ex hasnt had any electrical issues, am i the only one that realizes that honda makes a good product and electical problems arent always the problem. i guess that entitles me to say that you all need to quit being such pussies and learn to actually fix your atv's when they have an electrical issue. everything is going electric these days, i guess you all support carburated vehicle engines and slide rules too huh..... sure its easier to diagnose problems with a kickstart, but its also harder to start if the jetting isnt dialed in almost perfect.

i was merely expressing my wish that honda would at least maybe make electric start an option just as yamaha did. sheesh, you people are professionals at blowing things out of proportion. i guess me and 1 million other recreational riders are pussies because we like electric start on our RECREATIONAL quads. i suppose we should also ride a polaris because then we wouldnt have to be man enough to shift either.

please people, get a life and quit bashing others for their opinion. a simple "i like the kickstart on the honda" or "that would have been a nice option" was all that was needed.

let the flaming begin....

zach

sampleez
04-04-2005, 10:58 PM
typical yamaha customer service...they refuse to stand behind their product because they know they suck

is that so.... i guess that's why they warranted a bent stock axle, when the dealer knew i ride mx. yeah that's some pretty $hitty service right there

i guess i'm just not a man. :( but id rather not ride a slow ugly 450r just for the MANLY kicker. :rolleyes:

04-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by sampleez
is that so.... i guess that's why they warranted a bent stock axle, when the dealer knew i ride mx. yeah that's some pretty $hitty service right there

i guess i'm just not a man. :( but id rather not ride a slow ugly 450r just for the MANLY kicker. :rolleyes: u took it with no lube for that axle huh? :rolleyes:

JTRtrx250r
04-05-2005, 07:04 AM
buncha damn crybabys....:rolleyes: :ermm: :uhoh: :tired:

zlam27
04-05-2005, 09:32 AM
please keep the smart remarks and pointless comments to yourself.

i love how almost every post ends up in someone flaming because they refuse to look at something from any other standpoint or cant accept another opinion. its easy to talk smack and criticize others on an internet forum, but would you ever think of saying this to someone in person? i know the internet makes you feel tough but people please, can you just contribute to a discussion or else not post at all.

if all you do is tax the forums with wasteful posts and camp out in the open forum and contribute nothing to the site, then please dont waste everyone's time. i know your post count is precious, but it doesnt mean squat if its all garbage.....

im sorry if i blew this out of proportion, but im just tired of seeing this BS all over the boards (not just this thread). please dont fire back at my posts, lets get back on topic....

zach

04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
WOW! Remember Honda patrons denial is a horrible thing!

Let me get the facts straight:

They put a kicker on the 450R to save weight?
YFZ 350lbs
450R 350lbs

And the YFZ is faster stock to stock. Come on guys you are going to have to come up with some better arguments than that.

The great thing about it is you could always adda back-up kicker and keep the e-start, and still be faster than the R! Thats gotta hurt!!:devil:

04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
maybe someone else said this... i didnt read the whole thread.. but i think that honda put a kickstart because yamaha had their electric start pattented.....

so as the piston and head... thats why yamaha is more reliable and lasts longer.....

i don know!! maybe im wrong.

zlam27
04-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by tony_jackass
maybe someone else said this... i didnt read the whole thread.. but i think that honda put a kickstart because yamaha had their electric start pattented.....

so as the piston and head... thats why yamaha is more reliable and lasts longer.....

i don know!! maybe im wrong.

i dont know if the YFZ is more reliable, i guess time will tell. i know of a local who already broke the connecting rod and might have toasted the bearings - good thing he had 3 days left on the warranty. although, it happened in the winter when he started his YFZ and took off like a banshee without any warmup time. thats never good on anything :eek2:

zach

markk
04-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by sinister450
WOW! Remember Honda patrons denial is a horrible thing!

Let me get the facts straight:

They put a kicker on the 450R to save weight?
YFZ 350lbs
450R 350lbs

And the YFZ is faster stock to stock. Come on guys you are going to have to come up with some better arguments than that.

The great thing about it is you could always adda back-up kicker and keep the e-start, and still be faster than the R! Thats gotta hurt!!:devil:

How many people really race stock quads? (besides stock class) Its not about who is faster in the feild, Its all about rider skills,!

Also since your a big yami fan, Look around at the next GNCC, I see more YFZ stoped on the side of a trail than any other bikes combined!

markk
04-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
been doin' it for yrs... thats if I dont make it:D

(not picking on u, the guy u quoted)

If your climbing a hill, and u can stop on it, WELL this it isnt really a HILL now is it??

I think kickstart is actully better, As soon as your *** hits that seat your letting go of that clutch to take off, and Puting that traction down, Look at the 250r no complaints!

RED/BLUE who cares!!!!!

BLEEDRED
04-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Also since your a big yami fan, Look around at the next GNCC, I see more YFZ stoped on the side of a trail than any other bikes combined!

I'm not piling on here just wanted to ask a questoin. Is it possible that there are more YFZ's stopped on the side of the trail because there are more YFZ's on the course to begin with? Law of averages? I know the typical response, YAMAHA SUCKS, of course they break down all the time!! Just trying to be logical, besides you see my screenname, you know which way I lean.

Quad18star
04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
I'm not piling on here just wanted to ask a questoin. Is it possible that there are more YFZ's stopped on the side of the trail because there are more YFZ's on the course to begin with? Law of averages? I know the typical response, YAMAHA SUCKS, of course they break down all the time!! Just trying to be logical, besides you see my screenname, you know which way I lean.

^^^ Correct !!!!

I hear everyone saying ... " Oh Electric Start is for p***ies " , but half of you guys that now own a TRX 450r , owned a 400ex before . If I remember correctly , wasn't the 400ex an e-start ?? The 400ex was also one of the most reliable ATVs ever made .... I guess that e-start caused a lot of problems .

What I like about the Yamaha , is that they looked at a wide range of riders .... they put the electric start on the quad for those everyday riders , and have an option to add a kicker if you are a serious racer and NEED it .

Honda opted for the kicker , but to my knowledge , you can't add an e-start . I guess Honda's main focus with the 450r was not the average rider , but more the racer . But then again ... the YFZ is a race machine also . Hrmm

Sure I'd be able to kick over a 450r ( if I didn't have a busted leg) ... but what I like about the YFZ , is that I can hop on it and ride ... then get off and let my 56 year old father get on , push a button and take off with it . Could you imagine seeing a 56 year old man try and kick over a bike that's been run hard for 25 minutes and is a pig to start ?? Hell he'd probably get hurt .

Personally I think Honda lost MANY potential buyers because their quad is a kickstart . You'd be amazed at how many people don't have enough strength in their leg to be able to kick over a big 4 stroke because of knee surgery , ankle surgery or leg surgery .

sampleez
04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
u took it with no lube for that axle huh? :rolleyes:

huh???

i see ur from nashville. why don't u and some people come up to West KY MX in Lowes, KY. i think it's only about 2 hrs away. were having an open prepped practice this weekend, saturday from 10-4 and sunday 10-6.

it's my uncles track, so i'll prolly be there both days, and a few of my buddies should be there sunday

04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
[B Could you imagine seeing a 56 year old man try and kick over a bike that's been run hard for 25 minutes and is a pig to start ?? Hell he'd probably get hurt .

[/B] then maybe he should stay on the YFZ if he will get hurt on a real quad ;)

04-05-2005, 12:39 PM
huh???

i see ur from nashville. why don't u and some people come up to West KY MX in Lowes, KY. i think it's only about 2 hrs away. were having an open prepped practice this weekend, saturday from 10-4 and sunday 10-6.

it's my uncles track, so i'll prolly be there both days, and a few of my buddies should be there sunday never done MX before...I could ride trails and everything else though

04-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Same exact thing I was going to say but these guys are in plain denial. The TRX is a great quad no doubt, but the YFZ does edge it outeverywhere, except in comfort. I do know that the R has a more comfortable seat. But in performance, COME ON!!

04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by sinister450
Same exact thing I was going to say but these guys are in plain denial. The TRX is a great quad no doubt, but the YFZ does edge it outeverywhere, except in comfort. I do know that the R has a more comfortable seat. But in performance, COME ON!! seems like YOU are the one in plain denial that the YFZ isn't all that much better than the TRX...then you see its a yamaha. case closed

04-05-2005, 01:10 PM
the YFZ isn't all that much better than the TRX....

:D :D :D

ESrider
04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I like the e-start on my YFZ, because I have stalled on a hill and it was pretty nice to push that button and take off again, but I would just as soon have a kick only so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery, switch, relay, etc.. Honda did at least design the kick start to move in the right direction, instead of like a dirt bike.

wilkin250r
04-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe some people are lacking in certain areas, and thus feel the need to prove their manliness with a kick-start.

I'm not afraid of a kickstart, nor do I think it's too hard. I just find that e-start so damn convenient...

7mmeth
04-05-2005, 04:50 PM
If you were to stall in a race do you want to have to mess with a kickstart while all the Yamies pull farther away or would you rather push a button because you are on a quad with better perf. a little lighter, even with a heavy battery and starter.I have rode both and own a yfz,,,, there is no comparison, on paper or on the track. But thats my opinion......

Quad18star
04-05-2005, 07:54 PM
then maybe he should stay on the YFZ if he will get hurt on a real quad ;)

"seems like YOU are the one in plain denial that the YFZ isn't all that much better than the TRX...then you see its a yamaha. case closed"

^^^ Which one do you think is true ?? Come on , you're contradicting yourself .

:cool:

SRH
04-05-2005, 08:40 PM
i dont know why but the last few batches of 450rs and 400ex have had a connecting rod problems as well

the yz is a much longer lasting motor than a crf, i dunno if the trx has the same traits as the crf

also quad riders cant maintain there ****, they hack , there lazy, there ignorant both the trx and yfz should have there oil changed at least every 3 hours of riding, you know the sticker on the yfz? yeah that means 91 pump minium, not 87 if you run out of gas, alot of the rod bearing failures are connected with cheap *** recreational riders who wont put the right gas in, you alos must realize the yfz comes with 12:1 compression ratio and the trx is what 10.8:1? thats alot less strain a stock motor but you sacrifice performance

mixmaster i dont know how you can justify your comments, unless you spend alot on motor it will be hard to edge out the yfz motor characteristics for mx use, the yfz has a edge over it everyway but a big pocketbook can cure that, but i really would rather have a quad, that i just do work to the chassis and leave the motor alone

markk
04-05-2005, 09:07 PM

I dont agree with u exaclty! I said i see more of them broken than ANY OTHER BIKE COMBINED! But!!!!!!!!!!

shellz4sand
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Both the kick start and electric serve there purpose which is riding right? I have both a LT250 which is hard to kick(used to ride a banshee which I miss) and the power of the two stroke made up for the fact you have to kick it.The reason I bought a fourstroke was for riding with my kids.If I am going drag in the sand, I would say no pain no gain.Give me my stroker Banshee back I'll kick it all the way to the finish line.

roostin_dale
04-05-2005, 09:42 PM
well i dont want to start anything, because i personally love both quads and dont favor either one of them. But so far this GNC season...HONDA has won 6 motos and YAMAHA has only won 2 motos..

Yes the yfz's motor has a much more powerfull yank..and the hondas motor is more mellow and easier to control. Your gunna have to be on the gas alot more if your riding the honda.

and the kick start, a good racer isnt going to kill their bike in a race. Get a holeshot, stay out of trouble, avoid pile-ups and your good to go, but yes, everyone is going to kill it sometime in thier racing career.

lol
04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I love e-start my quad now has one.....but i would still take the R, every single honda i have owned has not had one major problem, they all have been amazing to me, i went from a TRX70 to a 250ex, then to a 400ex, so you could tell, i love hondas. That is why my next quad will be a 450r, i can live through a kick, for hondas reliability:)

I do notice, all honda dealers I have been to have been real a**h**** to me, my local dealer wouldnt let me see the 450r because he said i was too young:grr:

sampleez
04-06-2005, 07:46 PM
i think it's pretty irrelevant to compare the pro's results to which is the better quad. i mean come on, a z400 won last year! their bikes are so close in performance that it's only up to the rider and luck.

now i know ur gonna say "ur just sayin that cause the yammi isn't winnin races" well, natalie had a lot of good finishes last year, and he says he's in alot better shape this year, so i don't think it's cause he's on a different bike.

roostin_dale
04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
it's only up to the rider and luck.

I doubt the pros rely on luck...lol

But seriosuly, i dont favor either bike, i love them both...

SRH
04-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale

But seriosuly, i dont favor either bike, i love them both...

liar:eek:

roostin_dale
04-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by SRH
liar:eek:

haha..I do like the yank of the yfz's motor better than the 450r...

WOracing
04-07-2005, 08:21 AM

"real racers kick start their bikes" -Tim farr

i have that page from the magazine on my wall in my room:cool:

sampleez
04-07-2005, 11:35 AM

i don't think they rely on luck. i mean just who has good or bad luck each weekend and all year.

MY450R
04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
why are there so many damn responces??\
im sure there is a lot of arguing going on right?
i didnt bother reading it but all i have to say is that whoever complains about kicking the 450r must be a bunch of girls because its the easiest to get going and it only takes one kick 99% of the time!
we are all men here so quit acting like a bunch of babies if you dont want to kick it buy a freakin yfz and quit complaining!

PeeWee21
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
^^^ Correct !!!!

I hear everyone saying ... " Oh Electric Start is for p***ies " , but half of you guys that now own a TRX 450r , owned a 400ex before . If I remember correctly , wasn't the 400ex an e-start ?? The 400ex was also one of the most reliable ATVs ever made .... I guess that e-start caused a lot of problems .

What I like about the Yamaha , is that they looked at a wide range of riders .... they put the electric start on the quad for those everyday riders , and have an option to add a kicker if you are a serious racer and NEED it .

Honda opted for the kicker , but to my knowledge , you can't add an e-start . I guess Honda's main focus with the 450r was not the average rider , but more the racer . But then again ... the YFZ is a race machine also . Hrmm

Sure I'd be able to kick over a 450r ( if I didn't have a busted leg) ... but what I like about the YFZ , is that I can hop on it and ride ... then get off and let my 56 year old father get on , push a button and take off with it . Could you imagine seeing a 56 year old man try and kick over a bike that's been run hard for 25 minutes and is a pig to start ?? Hell he'd probably get hurt .

Personally I think Honda lost MANY potential buyers because their quad is a kickstart . You'd be amazed at how many people don't have enough strength in their leg to be able to kick over a big 4 stroke because of knee surgery , ankle surgery or leg surgery .

My ankle is the only reason i have'nt bought one, i've got 4 screws and 2 pins and it would hurt like hell to kickstart anything. That's why i'm hoping that next year they offer e-start as an option. I like the YFZ but i see to many around and not very many 450R's. This is just my .02. H*ll i'm just glad we have race inspired quads to argue about, remember when we did'nt?

nacs400ex
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
A good rule my father always told me "If you can't start it, then dont ride it"

I have always remembered talking about race inspired quads. Ever since Honda dropped the bomb with the 250r. Since then they havent been able to out do themselves.

E-start is a luxury item IMO, you dont need it at all for the type of riding the quads were built for.

E-start theres more things to worry about, and thats the truth. Why need unnecessary weight, parts, money and time.

wilkin250r
04-07-2005, 03:08 PM
"Real men kickstart, blah blah blah" And then people support their opinion claiming that electric start is just one more area to have a problem.

WTF?!?

Starter motors go bad if you sit there and crank on them. They are designed for occasional use, a few seconds at a time. If you crank on them for three minutes solid, it will overheat and burn out.

Batteries need occasional recharging if they are sitting unused.

I have seen very few solenoid failures that weren't due to some other problem. This doesn't apply to only ATV's, I have seen LOTS of solenoids.

In my opinion, a real "man" knows how to maintain his equipment.

zlam27
04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
darn right wilkin.... i dont think anyone is reading our justifications and instead they are just posting that everone is a wuss if they would rather have electric start.

if they cant maintain their quad and fix any small problems that arise, maybe THEY arent real men.

i just wish it would have been an option, thats all. i had a banshee, i can kickstart a quad. most women could probably kickstart quads, its just the fact that for RECREATIONAL riding i would prefer the elec. start for many reasons (many of which wilkin already touched upon).

if i want a good sport quad with electric start, i shouldnt have to look to another brand, will you all agree with that?

offering elec. start just like the YFZ would be a win-win situation for EVERYONE. kickstart available for those who insist that it makes them MEN, and electric start for everyone who is apparently gender confused :rolleyes: ....

i guess we should all ride a polaris because we arent man enough to shift either....

roostin_dale
04-07-2005, 07:58 PM
just remember, all you guys quoting my comment "real racers kick start thier bikes"...i did not say that, that was a Tim Farr quote, just dont want anyone getting on me for it.

I kick start my 50 a few times a day:o

wilkin250r
04-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Performance is my primary choice, and I'll would much rather kickstart my quad any day than compromise performance. But if given the choice on comparable performance, such as the YFZ and 450R, I'll take the electric start any day.

I'm confident my riding abilities can easily make up for any 6lb weight difference on the track. I don't need to prove my manliness on the starting line, the podium will be proof enough. :cool: