PDA

View Full Version : How many trail riders have Elka shocks?

2000400EX
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I was just wondering how many of you guys that ride trails or woods have Elka shocks...? How do you like them? What series are they? Do you have the Elka conversion on the stock rear shock? I'm seriously looking at Elka's "recreational" series front shocks and getting my stock rear shock converted to SSD to match the fronts. Just looking for any comments or suggestions...:cool:

Thanks for any input! :p

http://www.elkasuspension.com/images/imgreplacebig.gif

300exOH
04-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I have Elka economy's up front and a works rear(converted to SSD) and they are awesome. They smooth out the trail nicely and make the quad lower and handles much better than stock. Also they help me to not tire out so quickly and my knees don't hurt as bad at the end of the day. If I had it to do over again I would buy the Elkas again in a heartbeat.

MAD400EX
04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I got fox shocks and they are awesome and handles better
than stock.

44oEX
04-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I have elka's triple rate with ssd. set up for mx. it's a little stiff but still alot better then stock. There is a big diffrence in the jumps in pits and stuff. really like them

wheeltrax
04-04-2005, 06:08 PM
You are talking about what i did. I bought the elka rec series and sent my rear shock for the elka conversion. I am waiting for my rear shock still and i cant wait to test out the whole setup once it dries up a bit more.

ZSK
04-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Elka triple rate piggys upfront and a dual spring ssd elka conversion in the back. Rides like a big ole stinking cadillac.:D If you can find some nice used ones go that route and just have them serviced. You'll save alot of money that way.

Vtr_Racing
04-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Elkas are great shocks. We have the quad rates long travel on the front. Quad rate with Elka link on the back and shocks were set up by Precision Concepts on the 450r we run. We use the bike for Dez racing and the rear has been a bit of an issue getting right. We think we have it down now.. Elka stands by their products and are a great company.

2000400EX
04-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Sounds good fella's!:blah: Keep the comments coming!

Originally posted by wheeltrax
You are talking about what i did. I bought the elka rec series and sent my rear shock for the elka conversion. I am waiting for my rear shock still and i cant wait to test out the whole setup once it dries up a bit more.

Where did you send your rear shock to be redone?

Zingnut
04-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Rode on my finished setup this weekend with all kinds of roots and whooped out trails. All I can say is out of 7 quads all 450's and my lil 400 (Stock), which everyone gave me crap over still riding a 400. I passed many of them through out the day and would end up waiting with a couple other guys for the rest to catch up. It was so smooth over the whoops and the roots. Instead of setting up and slowing down through a rooted out section. I just would pin it and it skated right over it while sticking the true line I was shooting. Could not be more satisfied with the final setup. All my shocks were bought used for less than half the cost of them new.

Fronts: SSD tripples with comp adj (setup XC 160 - 170# rider)
back:SSD full adj (setup MX 180#)

wheeltrax
04-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 2000400EX

Where did you send your rear shock to be redone?

The quadshop

2000400EX
04-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
The quadshop

Okay, thanks. I was either thinking of sending it there or to C&D Racing....not sure yet though. Let me know how you like the rebuild once you get it back. ;)

04-06-2005, 07:35 AM
i have elkas :macho

400exrider707
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I just bought those same elka fronts and bought a used 400ex rear shock with the dual-rate elka conversion already done. I cant freakin wait to try it out. Im like a kid waiting for christmas presents!:D Glad to hear you liked the setup zingnut!

Zingnut
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I had the Elka MacDaddy rebuild on my stocker. (With SSD) I really liked it but after I received my full rear Elka setup, it was very noticable difference. The sag was almost double with the Full Elka. My 400 really squats down now, but the rebuild was very nice and overall great for aggressive trail riding. Also check for great deals. I picked up the full rear for $350 shipped. Where the rebuilds are running around $250 to $350 in price. I also sold my rear rebuild to one of the guys on here for $290 shipped.

Hope this helps ~Jeff

2000400EX
04-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the input guys! Once I gather up enough $$$ I'll be ordering the front shocks and then sending my rear shock off to be redone/converted. Thanks again guys!;)

dixie1
04-08-2005, 07:27 AM
I got my C&D Racing rebuilds on yesterday...They are great....Really smooths out the rough straights & eliminates all the bouncing on the jump landings. around $600

Woodsrider
04-09-2005, 08:26 PM
I have Elka piggyback dualrate SSD's on the front and a revalved stocker on the back, and I love it. It's a great setup for the trails.

user101
04-10-2005, 08:10 PM
i have Elka triple rate economies up front and Elka dual rate rebuild on the rear and all i do is ride trails and some good sized natural jumps. they are awesome