PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use GPS out there?

kick
04-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Any of you ladies and gents use GPS when you're out there exploring in the middle of nowhere? I'm thinking it would be cool to get a portable GPS receiver, and I'm looking at the Magellan "Meridian Gold".

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=90

I'm wondering if common trails and fire roads are typically listed? Or is it all just paved roads and highways?

2000400EX
04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Yup, sure do!:D I use a Garmin Rhino 120 ans I like it alot. I use the Mapsource Topo software with it and it shows alot of two-tracks, forest roads, some "trails", roads, major highways, etc. It also has a 2-way radio function that can communicate with CB radios or other handheld 2-way radios (FRS & GMRS). It's ain't the best one out there, but it works pretty good and has some good features on it. I also use it snowmobiling.

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/graphics/rino120Big.jpg

ballisticpb
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
in all the years i have been ordering GPS units for customers i have to say that the ease of use on a GARMIN system is outstanding. i have yet to have one issue on any that i have sold

kick
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, that Garmin does look good. :cool: Thanks for the advice so far, guys :)

04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
i use a garmin etrex legend, and im debating on where to sitck a mount on the 400.. that will hold up to some jumping/whoops.. and i use it mainly for a speedo..

Jesse

TRFOXX
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and i bought a holder for it off ebay for like 10.00 just velcro it around your handle bars. Stays put and keeps it protected from mud and dirt!.

Quad18star
04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I have an older Magellan here at home . I even have the video on how to use it ... yet I've never used it . We paid over $400 CND for it also . I'm gunna have to learn it one day . :ermm:

Lgnrider424
04-04-2005, 11:10 PM
they are real handy when were out on the sleds in the bush. sometimes when its snowing you cant see ****, its our only way back. and we dont ride trails at all (we all ride long tracks) so its not like we can stop at the next bar and ask for directions.

boystoys
04-05-2005, 04:41 AM
i have one to install on my 400ex.. i got the cheepst one i could find that had features i wanted... i picked up a used Etrex on ebay for 40 or 50 bucks... and RAM Mounts makes a bar mount for bikes that i am going to use and i would also like to figure a way to hard wire it to my EX so i dont burn through batteries....

there are pictures on here somewhere, thats were i got the idea... do a search for Garman, or GPS

2000400EX
04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I haven't tried to mount mine to the handlebar's yet, I usually just wear a back pack and keep it in there....works fine. Even though it is water "proof" (to an extent) I don't want to get it all muddy. I would like to find a good way to mount it to my sled though....:ermm:

http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album878/100_0936.sized.jpg

jesshamner
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
We used them when we went out to glamis. I guess they are a must out there. The problem I had with the one I was using is that the jarring around kept shutting it off. I guess there is supposed to be some springs to install near the batteries to keep them from bouncing around. One of the guys with us had it hardwired to his cannondale. He rigged up a power point like the cigarette lighter in a car. Then he just plugged it in with the car adapter so it could still use it for other applications.

TRFOXX
04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Thats sweet i thought about doing that, but with my trail tec light system i didnt know if it would run my battery down?

kick
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
:D You guys with the snowmobiles are making me wish I lived in a place where it snows!!! That looks awesome.

Oh dang... jesshamner I didn't think of that.

Is vibration and bouncing around a typical problem with these? I'd hate to buy the wrong one and have it end up breaking on me as soon as I take it out.

jesshamner
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
It isn't a problem if you have the springs in there. Another guy had a Garmin too with the springs in and never had a problem. I just had to actually stop to see where I was and where I need to go.

armoks
04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I was out at Glamis with jess also and I was using a Garmin GPS 5.
For quad riding they give you the springs in the handlebar mount kit. I didn't think I needed them until I rode around for a while and it kept going dead. After I put the springs in (which go in between the batteries) it never died on me again.

jesshamner
04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by armoks
I was out at Glamis with jess also and I was using a Garmin GPS 5.
For quad riding they give you the springs in the handlebar mount kit. I didn't think I needed them until I rode around for a while and it kept going dead. After I put the springs in (which go in between the batteries) it never died on me again.

You're going to get banned with that avatar. LMAO.

2000400EX
04-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by kick
:D You guys with the snowmobiles are making me wish I lived in a place where it snows!!! That looks awesome.

It IS awesome!! It flat hauls *** for a 600cc motor! Plus it pounds through the whoops like they aren't even there! I actually like riding it more than my quad!:eek: I logged 2,300 miles on it this winter.

http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album1197/100_1438.sized.jpg