PDA

View Full Version : Engine is missing CDI or Valves

elw38
04-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I had to hotwire my machine this weekend and it ran fine for a while then started missing on the low end. I changed plugs and it made no diffrence. The manual says the CDI could be bad or I have a stuck valve. Any ideas? I am leaning towards the CDI since I messed with the ignition wires.

What do you think?

Thanks, E

Jonas
04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Did it run fine before you hot-wired it?

elw38
04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Jonas
Did it run fine before you hot-wired it?

It did, It also ran fine for a few hours after. It got progressivly worse so that is why I am asking if it is a valve vs. the CDI.

Thanks, E

Jonas
04-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Can you tell us the full history of this bike???? Why did you hot-wire it? You bought it brand new....................It has has run great for years now............????

elw38
04-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I have owned it since Oct. It is my first 4-stroke and this was only the second time out. The valves tapped some so I checked and set the valve clearance before going out this weekend. I forgot my damn key and had the manual there so I simply cut the wires and shorted R and B when wanting to go for a ride. I unhooked the wires when not riding. Can a CDI be damaged by not having all four connections open and sitting idle? Would the CDI be dammage by riding with a poor ignition connection?

I would think the a CDI would just simply go out not weaken or cause a problem that gets progressively worse.

Thanks, Eric

Jonas
04-04-2005, 10:50 AM
The first time out, the bike started and ran great? First, can you wire the bike back to its original state? It goes without saying that you probably have done something wrong to it if it ran great on your first trip out.

Just curious, have any other aftermarket mods been done to this machine that you know of or is it totally stock? And what do you mean by missed on the low end?

elw38
04-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Yep, I will have to try it out tonight. She is pretty much stock except the previous owner did the choke mod and installed a K&N filter.
I mean it misfires or hesitates.

Jonas
04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Also, what elevation do you live at and did the previous owner jet it properly for the elevation that you are riding at? Not sure if this is your problem, but I am just trying to get the full story to help.

Your answer to the "did it run great the first time" question was yes right?? If is was, was it at a similar elevation. I thought I saw that you live in Utah and this may contribute to the "missing" problem.