PDA

View Full Version : 400 racer on budget

hitzme
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I have a chance to buy a completely stock 400ex and I would like to race MX with it.How many mods will I have to do and what mods would you suggest on a budget.

04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
First thing I would do is research some different pipes try to find one that will best suit you. You will feel a big difference with a the stock motor by just adding a pipe, jets, and an air filter. Another cheap mod would be to add a performance CDI. I recently put one on my 400 and it lets you get a little more out of each gear. As far as suspension goes I would probably worry about that before I started to buid the motor because you will definetly need it for racing. The stock suspension is okay for recreational riding, but not too good on the track.

hitzme
04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
As far as suspension goes does it need new shocks or just a revalve for MX?

04-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I would go with new shocks and wider A-Arms. It will better your handiling, but its totaly up to you. If you like the way the bike feels right now leave it alone. The only reason you would upgrade is to handle a faster or highly modified motor. If your motor is stock and your comfortable ride it and have fun. But if you plan on building the motor I would definetly suggest getting suspension first. I use to always buid my motor first and when it came time to ride I was loving the power, but close to hurting my self a couple of times because of the suspension. Just pipe and jet your bike and make sure to get a good air filter. You will love the way the 400 comes to life when you allow the motor to breathe. When I put a pipe my 400 it was awesome to finally be able to float the front wheels in the first three gears.

Joe400ex
04-04-2005, 12:16 PM
i really like gncc type racing u know like woods stuff is there any suggs on what i should do next:confused:

04-04-2005, 12:54 PM
It all depends on what your looking for. Looking at your Mods you might want to look into a performance CDI. It will give the stock motor a little more of an aggressive feel. I have a Big Gun CDI on my bike. The biggest thing I noticed when adding it was it got rid of the rev limiter. My bike use to rev out real quick and now I can hold each gear a little longer which allows me to accelerate more into each gear. It made my bike feel like the powerband is there from start to finish all the way through 4th gear. I don't really feel any difference in 5th, but how often are you going to be topped out in 5th gear while racing?

Joe400ex
04-04-2005, 03:20 PM
can u send me a link to see the cdi from biggun and how much do they cost
:)

04-04-2005, 03:28 PM
I got mine from the link below.
http://www.on-dunes.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=24

Joe400ex
04-04-2005, 03:31 PM
are they easy to install

04-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Yes its located under the front lights on the frame. Its about the size of a pack of cigaretts. Make sure your key is out or set to the off position. Take the old one out by uncliping the two wiring harnesses and then plug in the new one and hook it back up to the frame. Then start up your bike and take for a little test drive. If you get one don't be afraid to wind out each gear a little more than normal. You will be amazed at how much more acceloration you will have in the bottom of 2nd and 3rd gear. Before I bought the CDI I use to have to wait until halfway through 2nd to feel the acceloration, but not anymore.

04-11-2005, 09:50 PM
pipe, jets, filter, cam, porting, suspension

markk
04-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by hitzme
As far as suspension goes does it need new shocks or just a revalve for MX?

A 400ex uses like a strut for the front shocks, and the rear shock is rebuildable. For MX i would buy suspension that will make u quicker than anything u could ever imagain. Then i would buy a slip on pipe, and do a few motor mods. Also setup your bars the way u like them first.