PDA

View Full Version : Help With 400ex Oil Change????????

whiteknuckle
05-12-2002, 09:59 PM
ok guys heres the thing "well two things"
1. i have emptied all my oil for my very first oil change today and i am letting it drain overnight like i heard someone here does to get a good drain! ive had it 5 weeks and the oil was black allready (i was shocked) anyway when i put the oil back in the tank tommorow the crankcase will be void of oil until the engine is started correct? is this the right way? there is no way of puttin oil in the crankcase as well i believe! so im guessing that it runs then the oil pump works fast ebough to not harm anything in the case correct? i am going to use mobil one mx-4t motorcycle synthetic oil! the oil change tech section here says to put in 1 and 4/5 quart into the resevoir then run it shut it off and top it off right?

2. from the first day i got my bike (5 weeks ago) it has made a ticking sound only at low "cold" idle not noticeable at higher rpms and not after warmed up and it comes from the bottom of the crankcase somewhere i believe! i have been told by two dealerships that this is normal and the one told me it would go away after my break in and first oil change? it did it just this morning before i let the oil out so im hoping it goes away with the new oil and filter! tell me someone else has heard this too?? anybody???

SORRY THIS IS SO LOOONNNGGGGG!!!

thorspapa
05-12-2002, 10:42 PM
Big Thumper33 answered you, go look at his post.

whiteknuckle
05-12-2002, 10:58 PM
if he awnsered me it would be here in this thread and i dont see anything by him anywhere else!

thorspapa
05-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Wrong forum, go to atvnews forum.

Dave400ex
05-14-2002, 05:15 PM
You put in about 1.5 Quarts and then Run the Motor. Put the other .5 in then. Run it for like 5 Minutes and Check the Oil. Done.

400exRacerX
05-18-2002, 06:58 AM
What I usually do is fill it up with the oil and put the kill switch on and crank the motor over a couple times before I fire it up. And the clicking is most likely a valve tap. Did you ever take your 400 in for its 10-15hour check up?

whiteknuckle
05-18-2002, 08:06 AM
ive never heard anything about a 10-15 hour checkup!

Dave400ex
05-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Well you take your 400 in to your Dealer and they Check everything over at 20 Hours.