PDA

View Full Version : TWIST -THUMB Throttle

Joe400ex
04-03-2005, 11:08 PM
i was wondering what do u guys think is better a twist throttel or a thumb :(

jjohnst03
04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
its all about what you like. There isnt a better one IMO. it depends on your background and what is comfortable to you.

yfz450rider29
04-03-2005, 11:46 PM
I run a twist throttle and wouldn't have it ne other way. It takes some getting used to but reduces arm pump a ton.

04-04-2005, 12:49 AM
when he says it takes a bit to get used to it.. think about this..

when your riding, say up a hill, your arms are holding on to the bars.. now with a twist throttle, one arm is gonna be the weak link and its going to tend to want to "twist" the throttle, and well, guess what happens..

Thumb throttles are just fine.. people that say there thumb gets tired are really eaither super weak, or just sissys.

Jesse

JR3
04-04-2005, 04:33 AM
Yea same thing for woops i like to lean way back and double em and i rode a twist throttle and thru the woops i found myself giving it way more gas then i wanted to accidentaly and almost wrecking ill just stick to a thumb throttle theres a reason why quads come with them and not twists.

Jonas
04-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Why? I think I know why what is your opinion?

Joe400ex
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
i think i will stay with the thumb:devil:

yamablaster24
04-04-2005, 12:58 PM
I tried going to twist and ended up doing a supermarn off of a rythym section into a double, i hurt my elbow doing that so i went back to thumb throttle

huffdaddy_400EX
04-04-2005, 03:42 PM
I put a twist on and it lasted for only one ride. I went off a 6ft and the rear kicked sideways...when I landed I hit hard and a little out of shape...it caused me to over react and I turn the throttle..oops! I shot off the side of the track and rolled it. I was sore for a week...bruise...but ok.

Do whatever you like...but if you do go with a twist...take your time and get used to it

04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
i have never used a twist in my life untill i got my 400 this year. im never gonna go back to thumb. u just gotta take your time adn once you get used to them they are easy as cake

ryann mx68
04-04-2005, 04:28 PM
i was wondering the same thing. raced on 2 wheels my whole life, so when i got my 05 400ex, i had 2 problems- thumb throttle and trying to put my feet down. im kinda glad i didnt switch to a twist on my ex, it seems that the ex tries to rip out of your hands in certain situations, which if i had a twist- could be trouble. as for my feet, once in a while i still try out of habit. im jumping wheelieing and riding it like its my yz250, you couldnt tell my 1st ride on a 4 wheeler was 3 months ago, now all i need to do is bore-it, exhaust, intake and airbox mods, a-arms, axle,cut plastics, graphics kit, etc, etc, etc........................................i am having a blast on this thing, but the suspension is weak, im 5'-10" / 185 lbs, the rear isnt that bad, but the fronts arent good at all, add that to the list.:D

G Impala 63n70
04-04-2005, 05:44 PM
I love the twist on my 400ex, ive gotten so used to it that now i dont think ill go back to thumb:D

400exrider707
04-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
i was wondering the same thing. raced on 2 wheels my whole life, so when i got my 05 400ex, i had 2 problems- thumb throttle and trying to put my feet down. im kinda glad i didnt switch to a twist on my ex, it seems that the ex tries to rip out of your hands in certain situations, which if i had a twist- could be trouble. as for my feet, once in a while i still try out of habit. im jumping wheelieing and riding it like its my yz250, you couldnt tell my 1st ride on a 4 wheeler was 3 months ago, now all i need to do is bore-it, exhaust, intake and airbox mods, a-arms, axle,cut plastics, graphics kit, etc, etc, etc........................................i am having a blast on this thing, but the suspension is weak, im 5'-10" / 185 lbs, the rear isnt that bad, but the fronts arent good at all, add that to the list.:D

A set of nerfbars should cure that problem with putting your foot down.

ryann mx68
04-04-2005, 06:44 PM
yeah, i forgot those. it really a hard habit to break. i do some trail riding also, do the nerfs get in the way on the trails? get caught on stuff? just wondering. thanks

jjohnst03
04-04-2005, 06:48 PM
they shouldnt. they dont stick out past the tires.

Buster
04-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I had Tag bars and a twist on before I used the 1st tank of gas. I've rode bikes for years so it just feels more natural to me. I've had my honda foreman since 99 and I still don't like the thumb throttle on that.

shellz4sand
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
To me there is only twist throttle. I have put it on every quad I have owned.I put a Motion Pro on my 400ex, and I love it. I even have twist on my boys quads.Although they race dirt bikes so it is easier for them to go back and forth.I lasted one ride with my thumb throttle.It is natural if you came off a dirt bike, but beginners don't do well with it(a.k.a all my girl friends who don't ride).

ryann mx68
04-05-2005, 08:01 AM
i would like to try it, how much for the throttle tube and do you need a new cable also? or will the stock cable fit?

shellz4sand
04-05-2005, 08:40 AM
I always buy the whole Motion Pro conversation kit. I has everything in it including a new cable.You have to remove all your plastic's & your gas tank, and a few other parts to get the cover of the side to put the new throttle cable in.It's simple.You should love it!

CaliLifeStyle
04-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I have a twist and had trouble when I first started using it, but now it doesn't bother me when I ride. When I hit the whoops I just make sure I twist forward enough to throttle through each one. If you don't mind constantly adjusting your grip, the twist is great.

Thumb throttles are fine too. No matter what though, you have to feel comfortable with your ride.

muddy400EX
04-06-2005, 08:15 PM
i think it just depends on what your used to. i started on a 400ex, then got a dirtbike and the twist screwed me up! everytime i ramped i held it wide open on accident and on every bump to. but i got used to it, then i got the 400 i have now, personally i like thumb better, cuz you can hold a tight grip on the bars without holding it WFO

CaliLifeStyle
04-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Nothing comes with ease.

TCracin440ex
04-06-2005, 09:39 PM
there are pros and cons to each..

ive never had a twist throttle dont plan on getting 1...ive seen too many people bust their asses on quads b/c of a twist throttle...for instance ridding a wheelie get too far back and get a lil scared...and forget about the throttle and hold it wide open and on their *** they go

ive also heard that twist throttles will deteriate the cartilage in your wrist if you ride all the time because you constantly moving your wrist up and down....i dont know about that...but its what i heard

pros to a twist...less arm pump

i still prefer my thumb throttle over anything...ive never had problems with my thumb getting tired or anything...