PDA

View Full Version : houser or burgard for mx

400exracer511
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
are houser +2's or burgard+2's better for mx? i dont want +3 cause my shocks are already valved for +2 arms. i will probably be getting them from c&d racing and the housers are a little more expensive are they worth the extra money or are they both equally good?

Honda
04-04-2005, 12:24 AM
These Types of questions are easy to answer.

Look at both designs, compare the gusseting and quality of welds. The better designed parts will have gussets in the stress areas, poorer designs won't and will be more prone to breakage and failure. If it looks stout then it probably is stout, don't be fooled by companies that weld two pipes together and call it a steering stem, I won't mention names here but some of the stems, swingarms and front ends I have seen are a joke. These parts take a lot of abuse, and without the proper gussets they will begin to crack, bend more easily and even worse fail completly.

I have personally seen the Houser products and for the money there simply is no comparison. Roll Design also offers some awsome products, but the wait can be long and the Roll Stuff costs almost double compared to Houser.

The Houser stuff is welded proffessionally also. I have done a lot of research on the L/T front ends and Swingarms, not to mention the steering stems from many different manufactures, I chose the Houser Product for my 450R based on the quality, product delivery time and the very reasonable price of their products.

Roll would have been my first choice, but a 4-6 month wait, and almost double the price sent me in Houser's direction.

Walsh has some great looking parts also, though I have not seen them in person and the price is up there also.

One other thing, look for a company that offers replacement parts, and has good customer service to help with installation and to answer questions should you have any problems. Houser Offers a very informative Web Site that has links for installation instructions and replacement parts for their products, a nice touch indeed.

Hope this helps, good luck with your build!

Honda
04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Notice the lack of reinforcing on the Burgard parts. The Top of the Stem is just welded to the main tube with no reinforcing on the sides to prevent it from bending where the bars mount. The A-Arms don't have gussets around the shock mounts, it is just a tube welded in with some tabs for the shock mounts.
http://www.burgardcycle.com/Images/A-Arms-Side-Chrome275.jpg

http://www.burgardcycle.com/Images/Stem-250R-Coponents.jpg

The Houser Stem is Built Stout, Note the gussets around the top of the stem and the thick material around the bottom where the tie rods mount. The A-Arms are gusseted where the shocks mount, this is important in the prevention of breakage.
http://www.houser-racing.com/site_images/HONDA/TRX450R/TRX450R_pg02_LT_Arms/Trx_LT_Arms_1.jpg

http://www.houser-racing.com/site_images/HONDA/TRX450R/TRX450R_pg10_Sterring_Stems/Trx_Steering_Stems.jpg

TC426EX
04-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Aint even a comparison.... Houser

insaneracin2003
04-04-2005, 08:16 AM
:ermm: man i think i should have done some research. maybe i can send my Burgard stem to get gusseted and my a-arms too. im sure Pappy can gusset them since i have already bought them so i dont have to buy a new set......sheet

Zwanter
04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
yeah if i had thought about it i would have gusseted them before having them PC'd. oh well i'm sure they'll hold up for one more season. i'll probably have LT before its over with.

400exracer511
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
thanks for all the replies and info i will def. be goin with houser just waitin for my paycheck then ill have them ordered

450 Racer R
04-06-2005, 04:05 PM
The Houser's look just like the Burgard, except for a bar near where they bolt to the frame. I don't see any shock mount gussets in the pics on there website. Looks to me like you're comparing a standard travel set up to a long travel setup.
http://www.houser-racing.com/site_images/HONDA/TRX450R/TRX450R_pg03_RT_Arms/Trx_RT_Arms_1.jpg

Colby@C&DRacing
04-07-2005, 08:51 AM
The std travel houser arm are really similar to the burgard stuff. If you compare the burgard premium arms to the houser stuff you pictured they too have gussets. Both Houser and burgard make good products and they both stand behind them.

insaneracin2003
04-07-2005, 08:54 AM
my a-arms are not the ones im worried about.....its the stem,the way i like to case jumps :ermm: oh well,i dont plan on riding toooooo hard,just enough to get me around the track safely.plus,i already have it bolted up....

blue416ex
04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
i have houser regular travel aarms on mine at the back of the shock mount there are gussets hard to see in the pics though heres what im talking about ;)

blue416ex
04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
ok i dont think the pic worked :( this one might . . . you can slightly see the gusset in the aarm on the quads right lower aarm sort of behing the shock on the inner side towards the steering stem ...

Plante400
04-07-2005, 08:55 PM
i hate reading these posts after i just bought some burgards off of a member on the site haha

o weellll

Plante400
04-07-2005, 08:57 PM
PS

thanks c & d for making me feel better haha

Pappy
04-07-2005, 09:18 PM
in all my travels to burgards, and after picking up every piece i laying around thats been turned in for warranty, i can only think of seeing 1 lower arm that was bent in a way that a gusset may have helped it.

the other arm issue ive been involved with was a quad that had +2 arms with stock shocks and the kid flat bent them. he openly admitted jumping like crazy and bottoming out repeatedly for a long period of time. i geuss he was kind of glad the arm finally gave in instead of his frame.

i like the gussets myself, but i usually dont bend up too many parts so i dont let it worry me. i have run houser stuff and liked it very much. the stem actually seemed over built but all in all great quality.

Plante400
04-07-2005, 09:27 PM
sweeet.. so that means im going to have to get some new shocks up front for my +2's i boguht form a member that i am still waiting for in the mail. when i get them on ill see but im most likely going to need to get some shocks i guess

i member u told me pappy to look for some +1's bujt i cam across these +2's never ridden on for 375 shipped so...

Pappy
04-07-2005, 09:35 PM
im sure they will do fine for you.

shocks will be needed unless you weigh next to nothing:p

Plante400
04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
yeah well i way 170 and im 6 ft.. if thats next to nothing? i wish.. hah

i paid 375 for arms. now i gotta pay for new chain and sprockets

then my insurance payment at like 228... all this month

that like 750 bucks Just thismonth

im 17 haha my bank account will be probobly stooped down to like 1600 and thats all the money i got haha

and a pair of shocks is going to run me atleat 4..
maybe some used for 2

ahhh it never ends does it hah

blue416ex
04-08-2005, 08:08 AM
i would consider myself next to nothing im only like maybe 120 lbs and in on housers +1+1/2 aarms i run stock shocks all around and i do fine i have my fronts i think maybe on the 3rd click for the preload and my rear shock setup for my style as best i could and im hitting 25 foot step ups no problem and not bottoming out :devil:

04'400ex'er
04-08-2005, 12:43 PM
can someone post some prices for +2 burgard and houser standard travel a arms from C&D? I want the cheapest ones. Sorry, not trying to take over the post.

Plante400
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
yah.. well im mostly hitting 50+ foot gaps so im defnitly going to need suspension.. i dont think stock will hold up to the jumps on my new track...

Plante400
04-08-2005, 10:04 PM
just do a search for the burgard website

i think its burgardcyle.com or soemthing haha i dont member and im on my dads 56k internet so im not going to try it

lata

Plante400
04-08-2005, 10:05 PM
just do a search for the burgard website

i think its burgardcyle.com or soemthing haha i dont member and im on my dads 56k internet so im not going to try it

lata

ps. i believe a standard finish they are around 450 bucks

400exracer511
04-11-2005, 08:42 PM
can someone post some prices for +2 burgard and houser standard travel a arms from C&D?

i got a price quote from them and if i remember right the burgards were 450 shipped and the housers were 490