PDA

View Full Version : No Spark---- Multimeter Q's

onebad450r
04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
My 450 was running fine then all the sudden there is no spark. I was looking at getting a fluke multimeter to test peak voltages. The question I have is there are so many models available I don't know which one to get? I just want it to do some electrical troubleshooting on my R and other projects that come up. I difinitaly need one that is capable of reading peak voltages. I currently have a cheapy that reads nothing when I try to test some of the components. I figured that I will buy a better unit for when the time occurs I will have it.....

Any help would be apreciated

rowlrag
04-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Really any of the Fluke meter's are good, they make good stuff. But I can think of noway you will read any kind of voltage on the R, because it has to be running, however you can read ohms, and resistance for sure, which are probly the 2 most used forms of testing for a non runner. Have you tried a different plug? and hold the plug against the engine while kicking, they have to be grounded.

onebad450r
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
I have to disagree with you. You should be able to kick the engine over and get voltage off of the ignition coil, exciter coil, and the ignition pulse generator if they are in good working condition.... I have seen ignition components checked for resistance test good, but still not work. The only for sure way that I know for testing these items is for peak/minimum voltage, but you have to have a good multimeter to get a reading because the current is not steady, it spikes.

middleman102002
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah hes right you will get voltage from just kicking it it may not be much but it will happen
i was installing my tether killswitch and was touching the wires holding them on to see if it would start and it shocked the crap out of me like a dog shock collar
also think of it this way it has to have some voltage to create a spark to start the engine
im not trying to argue i just dont think youve thought about it enough
thanks

rowlrag
04-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Let me rephrase my post, You will not see any voltage unless the bike is running, OR cranking it. And you are right IF they are in working condition, process of elimination. :D