View Full Version : Buying used shocks

DeerNuts
04-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, as Im sure it has, but I am interested in buying a front set of either Works or Elkas, preferably the Works (well, thats what the wallet prefers anyway).

I have seen used Works up on Ebay that sell for around 200 or so, sometimes more, sometimes less.

What is all your opinions about doing this? I am not an expert on suspension by any measure, and cannot afford brand new shocks right now. I am simply looking for a decent upgrade to the stock shocks.

So, is it a good idea or not to buy them used, or is it that much better of an idea to simply buy them new?
A shock that is worn out can simply be re-valved, correct?

(BTW, I am looking for triple-rate Works preferably).
Thanks.

peckerheadracin
04-03-2005, 09:20 PM
i would spend the extra money on the elkas because they are just awesome. i race mx and have friends that have works shocks and wish they would have spent the extra money on the elkas. the answer to your second question is yes shocks can be rebuilt how much it runs depends on who you send them to.

elka triple rate shocks front and rear
itp t-9 rims up front with 20" holeshot mx tires
douglas beadlocks in rear with 18" holeshot mx tires
uni comp filter with vented airbox
hmf slip-on
moose racing handlebars
ac pro-peg nerf bars
ac stadium bumper
ceet flames graphic kit with seat cover

DeerNuts
04-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by peckerheadracin
i would spend the extra money on the elkas because they are just awesome

Oh I agree with you 100%, but I wont do that for two reasons:
1) I cannot afford them. Even used they are often very pricey.
2) I have no "need" for Elkas, at least I dont think so. I will not be racing MX, and I just run the bike on local trails, back roads, and my little track we have out back of the house. The biggest jump we have is maybe a 30' double, so even the stock shocks will handle that OK.

But if Elkas are absolutely that MUCH better that it is practical to buy them, then I will consider it.
Like I said, I feel I have no reason to have top of the line suspension, as I am not a good enough rider to go huge so that I will need them.

Thanks for the input.:)

JOEX
04-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I was in the same situation awhile back. I had planned on getting Works because I don't really race and the price is much more reasonable.

I came across a set of used PEP's that were set up for my weight and a-arms and about the price of new Works, when I got them I had to crank up the compression nearly all the way to keep from bottoming out and I don't jump big at all. But they are a whole lot better than stock and saved me from a few miscues;)

Once I get them redone, wether it be just revalving or completely rebuilt, i'm not sure if they will be more cost effective than a set of new Works set up correctly from the beginning for my type of riding.

From my experience and what your riding conditions are i'd say new Works will be the best value.

DeerNuts
04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the advise Joex. I think I will take it. Sounds like a good idea.

What is the best price you have come across for Works? Im assuming C+D racing will be a good place to start.

Dumb question: do triple-rate shocks need to be set up for weight? I assume they do; I guess what I mean is can I do that myself or is that something a shop needs to do?

Also, I want to stick with stock A-arms for now. Would it be a good idea to do all this now, or can I wait? I think running the Works with the stock a-arms will still be better than with the stock shocks.