PDA

View Full Version : Starter cable

Toadz400
04-03-2005, 08:38 PM
A few days ago I was riding my 400ex and I stopped for awhile and went to start it back up and it didn't do anything. I pop started it and rode it back to the house and while I was washing it I noticed a thick wire hanging down that had been torn apart. I found out that it was the wire coming from the starter to the little cylinder-shaped box next to the battery. I believe the cylinder-shaped box is called the Switch Assembly, but here's my main problem...the picture of the battery setup on Service Honda only halfway loads, so I can't see the parts that I need to replace. The Switch Assembly (I believe) has been causing me problems lately, sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. If it's not working, thus nothing happens when I push the starter button, I usually have to get it a few taps (or punches) and it'll start up. Can someone please tell me the name of the parts that I need to replace so I can order them?

REF426
04-03-2005, 10:46 PM
You can go to yamahaoftroy.com, they have same schematic as servicehonda. The part is call a switch assy. it cost $60.00.

2muchquad
04-04-2005, 10:32 AM
that would be the starter solenoid,also called the starter relay.its inline fromthe battery positive to the starter.it has 2 small wires coming off it that when the starter button is activated,it'll close the contacts interally completing the circuit which will in turn energize the starter.i got one off a 77 suxzuki gs750 streebike and wired it in.almost any will work as they do the same job.cheaper than OEM part.necessity is the mother of invention..:)

panteramatt
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I have 1 Ill sell ya for $20 shipped, let me know.

Toadz400
04-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I thought it was called the Solenoid but they don't have that part name on the page. I also need the starter cable, anyone know what the exact name of that is? Need to order this stuff soon because I might be selling the EX but it's not going to happen if it won't start:D .

panteramatt - Why are you selling your solenoid?