PDA

View Full Version : tuning

707trx250r
04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I have a 87r it is ported and polished, it has a ptr midrange race pipe, fat boy, boyesen rad valve, and open kandn filter.

I have the stock carb with a 162 main jet.

Does this sound like a good choice?

I am new to the atv scene and could use any help.

I also run at low elevation.

Eddiesanders250
04-03-2005, 10:35 PM
sounds good. maybe get a bigger carb like a 38 mm air stryker. itll make that engine come alive. low elevation like the coast?

707trx250r
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
I mean like pismo, but I live by Sanfrancisco CA.

I was also wondering what plugs to run. I am currently running the BR8EG.

But I ordered some br9es plugs. I am running premimun pump gas.

Thanks for the help it is greatly apperciated!:D

wilkin250r
04-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Do you know what the porting specs are, or the general porting type (midrange, hi-rev)?

An aftermarket head and higher compression can be a benifit. Also, a larger carb. I don't know if I would go as large as 38mm on a stock bore, but it would all depend on your riding style.

Do a bit of research on plug heat ranges and it will tell you the difference between BR8 and BR9. If you want to get fancy, you can get an iridium plug, but it's not a necessity.

As long as your porting matches your pipe, and there's nothing terribly goofy about your engine (like a 4mm squish or something similarly weird and out of the ordinary) then you're good. I would recommend synthetic oil, it's worth the cost.

If your motor is good, I would spend money in suspension upgrades before any more motor upgrades.