PDA

View Full Version : kfx or ex

kfxriderirv
04-03-2005, 08:26 PM
what is a better quad i have a 05 kfx an i would take it over my best friends 400ex any day it jus doesnt have the balls mine does over both stock we run the same speed an every thing jus the handleing to me is odd. what do yall think is a better quad?

cds
04-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm going to chime in since nobody else has...

It depends on what you want.
According to Dirtwheels magazine, the Z / KFX is better.

IMO, it is the typical Honda vs. Kawi, Zuk, Yammie battle.

Hondas are built to be sturdy and reliable.
This is done at the cost of a little bit of speed and weight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The ex definitely has a heavier steering feel than the Z / KFX.
Personally, I like the Z's handling better in the dunes and the ex's handling better in the woods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, I'm a pretty diehard Honda fan, but I would probably pick the Z if I had to choose between the 05 models of both.

The snappy feeling power of the Z / KFX is just too much fun!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
still wishing for a 450r,
cd

Quadman250R
04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
when you say snappy power what do you mean bye that? we just got a new z400 and it doesnt seem to have any low end power, it has to be way up in the revs to even do anything. my bro's 400ex seems to be more powerful, yet i heard the z was supposed to have more power. is this typical of the z/kfx?

nemesis
04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Quadman250R
when you say snappy power what do you mean bye that? we just got a new z400 and it doesnt seem to have any low end power, it has to be way up in the revs to even do anything. my bro's 400ex seems to be more powerful, yet i heard the z was supposed to have more power. is this typical of the z/kfx?
That is weird. When mine was stock and me and my buddy(same 04 as me) would drag race from a roll I would beat him by a little every time. I was shifting a little early and he has taking it right near the rev limiter but not to it.

I think the best part of the Z's powerband is right in the middle. If you come out of a turn in too high of a gear you may have a little lag but you shouldn't be coming out in that gear anyway.

I don't like the hadling feel of the 400ex but that is just my preference.

cds
04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Quadman, you raise an excellent point!

My definition of Snappy power is probably different than the way most other people use the word.

My definition of Snappy power-The quad accelerates strongly when the engine RPM gets up into the "powerband."

------------------------------------------------------------------
What you describe is typical of the Z / KFX. It can take some getting used to, but it is not nearly like a 2-stroke. The engine RPM on the Z / KFX has to be up off idle, but just below what I would term 'midrange' RPM to make strong power.

The 400ex has lots of power right off idle. It does not have as much power at high RPM as the Z / KFX.
My ex starts making what I call "Honda noise" in the high RPM range well before it hits the rev limiter.

My brother's Z sounds smooth at high RPM.

In a ~200yd drag race, my brother's Z will beat my 400ex by only a few (probably 3-5) quad lengths. This happens when we switch quads, too.
HTH,
cd

cds
04-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Sorry Quadman,

I just realized that you have a 2-stroke in your signature.

cd

Punk'd
04-10-2005, 09:24 PM
depends.. Honda IMO is more reliable and the suzuki/kawasaki has the more recent and updated sport quad it really all depends on how you look at that question.

redrunner
04-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Quadman250R

Most guy's change to the a 13 tooth anyway, that really helps.

Joe400ex
04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
well i am not saying all this becuz i have a 400ex. But i know that i had more torque when i was stock compared to my buddys kfx400. I wouldnt get a z/or a kfx cuz the frames are week.also the axle is not strong. the only thing the z/and kfx has to 400ex riders is the reverse. but hey the z and the kfx are nice quads

RIDE RED:devil:

skitstvdotcom
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Joe400ex
well i am not saying all this becuz i have a 400ex. But i know that i had more torque when i was stock compared to my buddys kfx400. I wouldnt get a z/or a kfx cuz the frames are week.also the axle is not strong. the only thing the z/and kfx has to 400ex riders is the reverse. but hey the z and the kfx are nice quads

RIDE RED:devil:

when my bike was stock I couldnt keep the front end down in first or second... so I dont know how much more torque people think they need...

frame was fixed in 04...

axles are not weak...

reverse is awesome.. and the suspension blows away the ex for a stock quad...

both are GREAT bikes, you will not be dissapointed in either

Joe400ex
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
u drive that thing its like ur on a caddi:)