PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Overflow tube leaking Fuel???

wes37
04-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I had all my plastic and fuel tankoff to do some cleaning, when i put it all back togthere an turned the fuel on and rode it down the road. When i stoped fuel was leaking full stream out the over flow tube. I started it up and ran it, fuel was still leaking full stream out the tube. the only way fuel will stop is if i turn the fuel vavle off. I check the bottom srew that drains the carb.. and it was tight. Do anyone have any ideas for me. Oh i runs just fine with all the fuel leaking out the over flow tube.
Thanks Wes

duke416ex
04-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Did you take the carb apart, maybe something fell out. Or if you moved it around while cleaning maybe you knocked something loose.

LazeR
04-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Did you put the clamps back on from the fuel tank to the carb hose ? I broke one of mine, and just put the hose on and it would leak out the overflow, then i put a clamp on it and it stopped leaking.

397ccEX
04-04-2005, 08:11 PM
float stickin?

kilabeez0
04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
haha, i thought my float was stuck, so after spending $22 on a new float needle, about 4 separate cleanings, and then a final 4 hour totall disassembly and soak in heavy duty carb cleaner it still poured gas out the overflow tube. i was totally stumped. the overflow screw was balls tight so i didn't understand.

anyway, i ended up taking the screw all the way out and letting gas pour out the vent tube and the screw hole, and then turned the gas off. then i put the screw back in and snugged it up good but not balls tight. i couldn't believe it, it fixed the problem :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

wes37
04-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah i never took the carb apart. But i will try the couple of things everyone has suggest with the screw at the bottom and the clamp on the hose. Thanks Wes

wes37
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I tried the couple of suggestion and still leaking pretty bad!!! Do you think i should check the floats?? Could pressure washing it caused any problem??

kilabeez0
04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
take the carb apart and clean it good, make sure you remove the float needle and spray down where it sits with carb cleaner. the needle is getting stuck.

racers
04-09-2005, 12:51 AM
check your fuel valve . take it apart and look carefully at all the parts (gasket o ring and fuel sock .If ok then take your jets out and the needle and seat and blow them out with low air pres. in both directions a couple of times and re assemble. Something is hanging the needle valve open .

400exredrider
04-10-2005, 12:23 AM
theres been alot of people having this problem lately,, its all because of one thing,, its the needle, the needle is either worn out or its dirty and its sticking

kilabeez0
04-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by 400exredrider
theres been alot of people having this problem lately,, its all because of one thing,, its the needle, the needle is either worn out or its dirty and its sticking

really? that wasn't my problem:rolleyes:

400exredrider
04-10-2005, 11:19 AM
you just said it was in the post before, i was just saying how most of it has been because of the needle..

Destructo
04-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Mine did this, disassembled the fuel bowl, cleaned it out real good made sure the float needle was working properly. Put it back together, still leaked. Rode the piss out of it, and then it stopped, hasn't done it since.

I guarantee you its the float needle has a peice of trash or something in it, or is worn out. Thats what my problem was, it just so happens I must have loosened it up enough that running hard dislodged it.

MR.BIG
04-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Your floats are stuck, you can tap on the bowl with a screw driver handle and sometimes they will release. Otherwise take it off and clean it.

wes37
04-15-2005, 10:50 PM
thanks every one i took it apart and cleaned the floats, float needle also bottom of the carb it finally quit leaking after the second time i took it apart.
Wes

7t9cbx
04-22-2005, 05:36 AM
I had this happen on a riding mower once. I took the float bowl , float and needle out. Then I took a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and cleaned the needle seat (?) out. Then I installed an inline filter never happened again. J.W.

toejamr1
05-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Cleaned my bowl and float/needle. Installed a filter and no problems so far. Alot of crap gets in the fuel tank and keeps on clogging the float needle.