PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Covers

QuadJunkies
04-03-2005, 07:29 PM
We have Nationals in three weeks and found this wk end that we have a cracked Clutch Cover.I need to find the best bang for the buck considering we have to save up for three riders in my house that are racing. Any Ideas???I only have seen one for sale on Ebay(chrome one) and you have to send in your old one first . IS everyone like that to where you have to exchange out the old one first? Is there safe way to maybe JB Weld the old one?.. What kind of metal is it made from?? Thinking of having ours welded if need be.. thanks for your help guys !! :)

QuadJunkies
04-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Dont matter now.. Found out we have ANOTHER grenaded motor:mad: :(

Mitch_McComb
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Sorry about your loss.
I'd try this product called alumiweld. Looks pretty cool.
do a search for it and see what you can find. We've used it for misc. items around the garage.

QuadJunkies
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks Mitch for the info, but unfortunaly we are Done with the Predator :( Ill be parting it out soon probably....

TheBigNasty
04-06-2005, 12:38 PM
if you do part out i would be interested in yoshi exhaust.

or if any one knows were to get GOOD deal on one

QuadJunkies
04-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TheBigNasty

or if any one knows were to get GOOD deal on one

The Yoshi is on my honda, not the Predator;) We have a Trinity on the Predator.. :)

QuadJunkies
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by TheBigNasty

or if any one knows were to get GOOD deal on one You might want to email Tyler25, I have his Yoshi sitting in my Garage right now , I was going to test it vs. the Trinity until the motor blew.:( He is looking for another pipe and wants to sell his .

JDiablo
04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
how did the motor blow?

QuadJunkies
04-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
how did the motor blow? dunno, other than a bolt off the crank backed off.... :( We will be assessing the damage more this wk end... :ermm: Cross your fingers its salvagable...

440exnacsracer
04-07-2005, 09:02 PM
ive heard about this crank nut thing, please let us know what happened, id like to go ahead and fix it on mine so i dont risk it. hope it works out for the best:ermm: , and ill take the vortex if you wont be needing it:D

QuadJunkies
04-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
ive heard about this crank nut thing, please let us know what happened, id like to go ahead and fix it on mine so i dont risk it. hope it works out for the best:ermm: , and ill take the vortex if you wont be needing it:D lol.. thanks Ill be in touch either way .... :p ;)

QuadJunkies
04-09-2005, 12:18 AM
update~~~
The motor didnt grenade, THANK GOODNESS!! But, I still do need a case and a new Basket, anyone know of any good deals anywhere???

Predator38
04-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Great news QJ....I'm really happy for you guys.......:D

SS predator
04-09-2005, 04:24 PM
QJ, I got Doug to replace my basket with a Hinson. He should still have my old one.<maybe 20hrs on it> I never received it back with my motor. Part of the credit deal he gave me. Could probley get it for next to nothing. Who knows.

SS predator
04-09-2005, 04:25 PM
PS, maybe 20hrs on it.

QuadJunkies
04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by SS predator
QJ, I got Doug to replace my basket with a Hinson. He should still have my old one.<maybe 20hrs on it> I never received it back with my motor. Part of the credit deal he gave me. Could probley get it for next to nothing. Who knows. thanks for Ill send him an email!! I know he doesnt have nay Clutch covers thoug . Ill drop him an email tonight, the only problem is he hasnt been returning calls lately. :ermm:

440exnacsracer
04-09-2005, 07:40 PM
i would try jb weld on the case as a temporary fix. my friend and i did it on his warrior around the front sprocket, and it held for a while, i would think it would be ok in such a low stress area.:confused:

QuadJunkies
04-09-2005, 08:02 PM
i would try jb weld on the case as a temporary fix. my friend and i did it on his warrior around the front sprocket, and it held for a while, i would think it would be ok in such a low stress area.:confused: IT was STRONGLY reccomend NOT to do, Troy said its too damaged to use ...:( ;)

440exnacsracer
04-09-2005, 08:38 PM
:ermm: :ermm: sounds like you got a pretty big break. o well, ill call around this week and see if i can get one around here.

QuadJunkies
04-09-2005, 09:07 PM
:ermm: :ermm: sounds like you got a pretty big break. o well, ill call around this week and see if i can get one around here. thank you VERY much!! :)

Mitch_McComb
04-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Not sure if it's an option or not (not knowing where the break is), but what about the rath clutch cover mod? I'm not even sure what the price of a clutch cover is... Just throwing out ideas.

QuadJunkies
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Mitch_McComb
Not sure if it's an option or not (not knowing where the break is), but what about the rath clutch cover mod? I'm not even sure what the price of a clutch cover is... Just throwing out ideas. thats BIG bucks we dont have right now and I think you have to do a Core exchange,sincd ours is so damaged, you cant do a trade in on one :(

Bradracer18
04-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Tina.......my pred currently has a cracked clutch cover(up by the bolts, kinda above the filter).........also cracked back into my case(motor).......I haven't had time or want to look at it yet.........does this sound similar to your problems??? If so, tell me what you need, and a estimate on cost.......

PS.........I jb welded it for about 15 hrs of riding, it held up well, but still leaked a little.......not enough to matter, but to make a mess........so jb weld works, but isn't your best fix.

predatorkick@$$
04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Bradracer you should check out predatorowners before your banned!!

Bradracer18
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
banned........who was going to ban me?? I would think if they were going to ban me, they would atleast contact me to see my side of the story.........either way, check out the post again......I replied finally!!!

QuadJunkies
04-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
Tina.......my pred currently has a cracked clutch cover(up by the bolts, kinda above the filter).........also cracked back into my case(motor).......I haven't had time or want to look at it yet.........does this sound similar to your problems??? If so, tell me what you need, and a estimate on cost.......

PS.........I jb welded it for about 15 hrs of riding, it held up well, but still leaked a little.......not enough to matter, but to make a mess........so jb weld works, but isn't your best fix.
Ill ask TRoy about this but that dont sound GOOD! :eek2: Ours isnt that bad the casing is fine and the top end on ours is clean the filter done a good job of keeping out any metal. Ill ask Troy about this and get back with ya! ;)

QuadJunkies
04-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by predatorkick@$$
Bradracer you should check out predatorowners before your banned!!
I guess I should get a heads up on any banning over there?? :eek: :huh LOL

Bradracer18
04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
lol thanks Tina.......yeah I'll tell ya my situation.......

We just had the clutch cover off(might have just over tightened the bolts, but I doubt it.......the cover is broken it two pieces around the bolt flanges, pretty much near the top(or over the oil filter cover)......and one of them is cracked back into the case(motor).........however the crack is only about about 1/2" long and isn't real deep........and mean while, while I was riding my pred, I couldn't shift into 4th or 5th gear while under a great load(drag racing).......I could shift into them when just normal riding though......

So.........does my clutch need adjusted(never done it, pred is 03)........and we just happened to over tighten the bolts..........OR.....is there some scary ***** going on inside there.........??..........

I'll take any advice/opinions.........

Boys are Nicholas Cycle said it could have been some nut that fell off........but with me not messing with anything in there ever, I would have thought it would have fell off before now.........

polaris bob
04-15-2005, 02:17 AM
You could have a couple of things going on with the motor.

Unfortunately the only real way to find out is to do a little investigation. Which means that you are going to have to take some things apart.:huh :eek:

With the clutch cover off look to see if you can see any evidence of something striking the back side of the cover, that might cause it to crack. If it cracked from the inside out there should be some tell tale sign.

Very carefully strain the oil you drained out and look for any metal shavings, also look in the filter.

What you find in these locations will lead you on the next step of your investigation.

Let me know what you find out.

QuadJunkies
04-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Troy said that his thoughts were that the same thing MIGHT have happened to you that happened to his, the 18 mm nut at the end of the crank backed off,and started eating a hole threw the clutch covers sending pieces of Magnesium over the top of the clutch pack and in between the case, cracking it . You sohuld be able to tell from just simply draining your oil. Troy had 1/2 inch shavings resting at the bottom of the case by the drain :eek: . Best way to tell though is to just pull it off, the clutch cover it if indeed is just cracked from overtightening, you can get it welded we found out , but if your having issues sihfting and such ,chances are its not JUST A CRACK. We ended up having to replace the Cover, clutch basket,
The worst part about it though is if that nut backed off, it could have destroyed the threads at the end of the crank, we got VERY lucky, it only slightly damaged three threads. Let us know what you find out and if you have any questions your welcome to call us, Troys had to do alot of his own work so hes familiar with it ;)

Were taking a thread chaser to the end of the crank and that should clean up our issue...

SS predator
04-15-2005, 07:04 PM
QJ, just curious how many hours on the motor since you guys last had it apart<approx> I have 3 hrs on my motor & on my 7th oil change. I keep finding small shavings in my filter. I wouldn't think the nut would back off that quick.

QuadJunkies
04-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SS predator
QJ, just curious how many hours on the motor since you guys last had it apart<approx> I have 3 hrs on my motor & on my 7th oil change. I keep finding small shavings in my filter. I wouldn't think the nut would back off that quick. Its been roughly 15 hours of hard riding , Ive got the nut thats stripped out and I took a pic that proves thats exactly what happened, but my Camera is a POS so it is all blurry to post:o .This is not the first time IVe heard of this happening either. Troy found a few more surpises in the bottom end thats should not have been there , but Im not at liberaty to talk about it at this time. Its all cleaned up and put back together tonight. I hope she runs good for the worcs race next week! :macho

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:12 PM
well, ya wanna see something that REALLY was rather upsetting??Here is what Troy found in the bottom end .This is a tooth off one of the oil pump gears from when the motor grenaded the FIRST time !!! Had we not found this, it would have have taken out another motor!!! This could have been avoided Ill post the proof of what mainly done most of the damage . We took it out yesteday and ran it and everything seems to run fine now .this first picture is a blur, sorry POS scamera... lol That is the tooth in hand
A little damage can and will go along ways ,glad we found it in time

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:12 PM
and here is the tooth compared next to the oil pump gear ,the one installed is the good one .

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:13 PM
another angle shot of it..

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Here is a shot of where we found the tooth. It had lodged in the back side of the clutch gear and was luckily stuck there for now , it looked liek it had come out a time or tow prior and we think thats what done most of the damage to the Case and the Clutch basket. :(

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
another pic of a gouge mark, sorry for the blur.

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Heres a picture of the Basket,you can see where the tooth rolled up over the top of the clutch basket and this is where it cracked the case .Check out those grooves!! You can also see some nice gouges from where it embedded itself a fw times in the clutch gear.

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
after all that expense, its all fixed( knock on wood!) ad much as we have torn into it , I think we will try and do most of the work ourselves from now on