PDA

View Full Version : used z400 ad

400exrules
04-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Just saw this in the cycle trader, tell me wut u guys think.

2003 SUZUKI LTZ400, very low hours, black powdercoated wheels, very clean bike, as good as new, must sell. $2900.

It looks completely stock in the picture except for the powdercoated wheels. Its a black and white 03. i might go look at it next weekend. Wut do u guys think?

and wut years had frame issues, are the 03's crap or is this a deal?

04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I'd check everything over thorougly. Looks like a good deal. Ask when in 03' he bought it. If it was after august-spetember you should be good.

gyt-r450
04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
sounds like a good deal to me:chinese: take a look it wont hurt. my friend got a '03 Z for X-mas and the frame is fine but i did hear the 03 have frame probs:eek:

400exrules
04-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by gyt-r450
sounds like a good deal to me:chinese: take a look it wont hurt. my friend got a '03 Z for X-mas and the frame is fine but i did hear the 03 have frame probs:eek:

wut do u mean by frame probs. All ill be doin is prob trail ridin, and just messin around, mabye small jumps. I wont be hittin big jumps tho, just small stuff to get off the ground every now and then. Would the frame still have problems?

kickerkfx444: wuts the difference between august-sept. and not aug.-sept?

parkers30
04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
when he bought it doesnt matter its when it was made, you can still buy 04's if you find someone who couldn't sell all of theirs.

from what I hear you shouldn't have problems, my dad's 03 is all gusseted though

gyt-r450
04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
well in dirt wheels they said when the Z frist came out they had probs with the frame cracking by the seat.they fixed it in '04.but if your just riding trail and small jumps youll be ok but if you do a 65 table you mite have probs:macho

400exrules
04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
well in dirt wheels they said when the Z frist came out they had probs with the frame cracking by the seat.they fixed it in '04.but if your just riding trail and small jumps youll be ok but if you do a 65 table you mite have probs:macho

thats wut im sayin, i doubt i would do over a 20', because i havent jumped much and idk, i just like trail riding better, but when i feel like jumpin i guarantee(sp?) it wont be over 15' prob. So i should be fine right?

and wut do i need to look for, or check when me and my dad go to look at it next weekend

04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
why buy a z if your not gonna be jumping it? get a 300ex then

gyt-r450
04-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
thats wut im sayin, i doubt i would do over a 20', because i havent jumped much and idk, i just like trail riding better, but when i feel like jumpin i guarantee(sp?) it wont be over 15' prob. So i should be fine right?

and wut do i need to look for, or check when me and my dad go to look at it next weekend

ill look for the dirt wheels it said right where they were cracking.
if i cant find it just look all over by the seat:D

dpizz450
04-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by kickerkfx444
why buy a z if your not gonna be jumping it? get a 300ex then

i think i am now dumber for reading that post. i mean geez you might as well not even buy a quad unless your gonna be doing backflips on it all day long. :rolleyes:

zlam27
04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
the frame will crack right above the front shock mount. my friend has an 03' (i think) KFX and his cracked. he is a VERY agressive trail rider though. they are also weak where the frame comes up in front of the gas tank. if you just get it gusseted by someone it will be fine. i think better front shocks would also help fix the prob (get a set off an 04' or 05' with the piggyback rezzies).

zach

Cody_300ex
04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I would go for it! Might wanna set it on the grab bar to check for a bent frame.

MichaelS693
04-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by zlam27
the frame will crack right above the front shock mount. my friend has an 03' (i think) KFX and his cracked. he is a VERY agressive trail rider though. they are also weak where the frame comes up in front of the gas tank. if you just get it gusseted by someone it will be fine. i think better front shocks would also help fix the prob (get a set off an 04' or 05' with the piggyback rezzies).

zach

2003 SUZUKI LTZ400...... what does that KFX have anything to do with this Z400 he is asking about??:confused:

ohski
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
2003 SUZUKI LTZ400...... what does that KFX have anything to do with this Z400 he is asking about??:confused:

Because the Suzuki LTZ-400, Kawi KFX-400, and the Arctic Cat DVX-400 are all the same quad (for the most part).

Wade

ohski
04-03-2005, 10:47 PM

zach

The new style shocks came on the 2005's.

popo
04-04-2005, 05:47 AM

Who cares what Dirt Wheels says..... All frames break

zlam27
04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ohski
The new style shocks came on the 2005's.

alright, i wasnt 100% sure if they started in 04' or 05'. thanks for the correction.

sure all frames crack, but the weaker or poorer designed ones will definitely have more problems. my 400ex is an 01' and the frame is fine, my friends 03' KFX cracked within 2 years.

zach

400exrules
04-04-2005, 01:43 PM
my 400ex is an 01' and the frame is fine, my friends 03' KFX cracked within 2 years.

zach

but wut kind of riding does he do?

i just want to know, will the frame still be a problem for the type of riding i will be doing, ill be doing fast/some what agressive trail riding......i wont be hittin 60' double's or anything.

400exrules
04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
i also found 2 adds for 400ex's, a 99' and a 00' i belive, i dont have it with me but the 99 has just like hmf exhaust, jet, tires, renthal bars and thats about it, but he 00' says it has a rebuild, some kind of exhaust, and some other stuff, looks like it was raced.

wut do u guys think?

my dads callin the guy thursday, to see if we can come look at the z400 friday

wheeltrax
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
my friend has a first year, first run Z400, and the frame cracked above the shock mounts, and in one other spot the first weekend he had it, he didnt ride it hard either becuase he was breaking it in. He also managed to tweak the rear axle a bit. He then got the frame redone under warrenty, but after alot of talking with suzuki. The place that did the frame did an *** job on it and ran the wires in all bad spots and managed to get locktite all over the carb which caused his choke to jam up. As of recent, he has yet to have a problem with it. I like it. I would just check the frame over. Its worth a try, you could have a great deal on your hands.

400exrules
04-04-2005, 10:07 PM
wut year did the Z400 come out?

and how can i tell if its a crack in the frame or not cuz ive never seen one....will their be small jagged like marks or will it be like an open split in the frame. and wut other things do i need to look for? like where to look for rust, etc....just basically things that tell how its been treated?

DeerNuts
04-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Well, you are most certainly going to notice rust on the bottom of the a-arms; of course, the amount of rust will depend on the amount of riding he did.

Grab bar will most likely be scratched to hell, at least mine is. Side cases will have wear marks. This is just obvious stuff that happens from riding.

Take Popo's advice; ALL frames can crack. Of course, some are more susceptible to it, but as long as you dont trash the bike, you should have no problems.

At least when you go to buy it, make sure to ride it for a bit, and not let the exitement of getting a nice bike cloud your judgment. $2900 is a very good deal for a 03; see if you can talk him down a bit. But because its so cheap, be very careful if you are going to buy it. A crack will almost never be very noticeable, hairline cracks can be very hard to see--- especially if it's all dirty.

Just use your head and make sure you are getting what you are paying for--if there is something wrong with it, the guy may not tell you and you'll ride away on your bike with a sore arse.