PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250r rattle?

trailgoon
04-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I have a 1986 250r that has an engine rattle. The top end has been bored out to a 256 and some minor polishing done on the ports. When it was rebuilt it was rebuilt with a wiesco piston. The rattle sounds llike it is coming from the bottom end. Ive listened to other R's and Cr 250's and they have the same rattle. Does anybody know where this comes from? How to fix it? Does anybody else's R rattle? I just don't want to go down into a hole at the dunes and have the motor take a dump on me.

Tom TRX250R
04-03-2005, 06:15 PM
From the description it sounds like what my R was doing when the counterbalancer was shot. Is there quite a bit of vibration?

deathman53
04-03-2005, 07:10 PM
I know mine the kick starter rattles, as the kicker is loose and doens't stay in place(very common for most 250r's), the old spring and #8 ball bearing inside of the kicker wear over time.

outlaw#9
04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I know the rattle in whitch you speak of :chinese: i have been hearing it for years out of many 250rs ...dont sweat it to much

trailgoon
04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
There really isn't any vibration at all than what seems normal to me. The kick starter doesn't rattle that much. I think it got worse after I was riding one time and I thought I had it in neutral and I revved it up listening to it and all of the sudden it fell into gear making loud clicking noise while it was going in. But I am not sure that it actually got worse. I might just notice it more since we put an FMF Q on it so now their is a lot less exauhst noise. I am just worried that there might be a part in there going bad and then cause more trouble when it goes completely bad.

red33quad
04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Its probably nothing. 90% of all the R's you see have that sound. If your not sure pull the top end back off ,check your rod and wrist pin bearing. If no problems there, put it back together and run it..