PDA

View Full Version : Will the 450 do alrigt in tight slow trails?

lifesaver
04-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Cant decide if I want to 450r or the ex. How high is 1st gear on the R comapared to the ex? I heard that the R likes to fowl plugs, is that true? I dont think I will mind not having reverse. So would the R be ok for me?

jeepnrocks
04-03-2005, 03:41 PM
never had a problem with the plug. if your into tight trails throw a 13 tooth front on and you will be set.the 14 is a bit high for tight trails in stock form but the 13 works great

04-03-2005, 04:07 PM
ditto;) if u do get the r. get used to slipin the clutch a little in realy tech sactions so u don,t stall it. good luck:D

mike nash
04-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I used to dread tight tech spots on the trail but i got used to the r. Don't get offended but my wifes z400 is a pleasure in the thick stuff and more comfy, 05 is supposed to have new engine refinements. Suzuki 400 tops out pretty quick though. Good luck

dn1911
04-05-2005, 09:32 PM
when i bought my R i went with the standard 13T sproket. it helped but not enough for what i wanted. so i went with 13/39 gearing and this was very good with my pipe and filter kit. but later decided i wanted to try and get back some of my topend that all the gearing took away, so i added a +9 ounce flywheel from Trail Tech. this made it feel like a 400EX. i was able to go back to my 14T front with the 39T rear and still be way better than stock.

later i added beefier tires and wheels that measured 2 inches taller. this changed my overall gearing affect so i needed to put the 13T back on. also the tires where heavier then stock so we added a 13:1 JE piston for more power to move the tires.

now it is a perfect trail bike but will still run very well in the wide open. piped and jetted Z400's are no problem, pull them on a holeshot and just keep pullin.

it's funny i read this and think back to all the complaining my girlfriend has done about my modifications, but it sounds like they all for good reasons to me.

hope this helps

DirtDevilBT
04-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Is the Z not something you like? It's a great bike and an 04 would probably be at a great price too. I was looking into one of these myself and got to ride a friends quite often. I just needed a little more for the dunes and desert, don't get me wrong there is plenty of power from the Z to get into trouble.:D

2005 Z400, KFX400:

New front shocks
Clutch pack
Cam
Carberator
Colors
And prolly more I just don't know for sure.

Gregg C
04-08-2005, 09:34 AM
My 450R is perfect for the slow trails,
I am running a 12 / 40 and it works great.
Still plenty of speed for my needs and hill climbing is awesome !!

chad502ex
04-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by lifesaver
Cant decide if I want to 450r or the ex. How high is 1st gear on the R comapared to the ex? I heard that the R likes to fowl plugs, is that true? I dont think I will mind not having reverse. So would the R be ok for me?

the 450 is great for woods if you go down on front countershaft sprocket, change cam to crf 02' cam, and get pipe with jetting. Then you'll have no problem at all lugg'n through the woods if you want,..

the 400ex with reverse are for ppl who need to go backwards,....
LOL! i prefer to go forward only especially when i'm rid'n.

:D

dn1911
04-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Gregg C
My 450R is perfect for the slow trails,
I am running a 12 / 40 and it works great.
Still plenty of speed for my needs and hill climbing is awesome !!

that is extreme trail gearing. i ran 13/39 and was fine, you might wan't to try a 13 with that 40 rear and see how you like it. still lots of low but a lot more top