PDA

View Full Version : 400ex starting trouble

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-03-2005, 10:55 AM
well yesterday i went riding and it was about 45 with rain. well it starts up pretty quick when its hot and dry out but yesterday when i tryed to start it up it would not start. after awhile the battery ran out and we had to push start it. could this be my jetting????

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-03-2005, 03:20 PM
bump

JOEX
04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
That's a possibility, what's your current jetting?

catman
04-04-2005, 06:55 AM
my 2 400ex are realy fussy about clean new plugs pretty often.
Try cleaning it or putin a new one in bet it starts right up.

Jonas
04-04-2005, 10:34 AM
A 400ex shouldn't go through alot of spark plugs unless something is wrong in my estimation. Do you keep your battery on a trickle charger when not in use for longer periods? Yes, is your jetting correct for the mods you have? and so on. More often than not, it is something that the owner is not doing right in my opinion and for my experiences.

scottwvu
11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Take apart the starter switch housing on the right handelbar (2 screws), then take a towel and wipe the water off the ground (gold plate that touches the handelbar). Start away......:ermm:

BSTURDIVANT
11-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Modified cdi boxes do the same thing! Won't start cold!

miller821
11-30-2005, 09:06 PM
My bros. and dads hadn't been started in a while and wouldn't start, so we bought plugs for theres and both fired straight up.

QuadJunkies
12-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Check your pilot as well

tprender
12-01-2005, 05:32 AM
If it was running and then would not start, it is not the jetting. I think that the rain did domething. See if it starts after it dries out you have a wiring problem. A 4 stroke should have the plugs changed about once a year when every thing is running correct. How long was it sitting from the last time that it was started? Did you try to start it after you pulled it?

400exstud
12-01-2005, 06:07 PM
A 400ex shouldn't go through alot of spark plugs unless something is wrong in my estimation.

The accelerator pump on 400ex carbs kills the plugs in a hurry. Unless you run your ex every week the plugs will go bad. Even if you do ride it often the plugs go bad in about a month.

12-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
The accelerator pump on 400ex carbs kills the plugs in a hurry. Unless you run your ex every week the plugs will go bad. Even if you do ride it often the plugs go bad in about a month.

i agree with that

lightning_2000
12-02-2005, 12:36 AM
mine was starting to have cold starting problems
thought it was the cdi box
turns out my positive battery cable was bad
redid it now she starts easy again

knelson
12-02-2005, 09:48 AM
as long as your jetting is on you will not have any sparkplug probs. the biggest reason sparkplug life is decreased on these machines is due to people jetting their bikes way larger than the bike needs to be. I have a 400ex that is stock and the only thing I have changed since 2000 is gas and oil (and filter), and it runs like the day I bought it. Now my 426 with a 39mm fcr carb goes about 3 or 4 months but I know its running on the rich side.

Brehmmotorsport
12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
its a 400ex thing. I have had three now and my buddy has had two. All have had different setups and they all suck starting unless it is nice and warm out.

QuadJunkies
12-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Brehmmotorsport
its a 400ex thing. I have had three now and my buddy has had two. All have had different setups and they all suck starting unless it is nice and warm out. Thats not totally True... IMO its not proplerly dialed in then cause I have VERY few times I have troubles with mine and I even run a CDI box

illusion450r
12-02-2005, 07:34 PM
I have that exact same problem, not starting in the cold. I've been injured and haven't been able to go riding since August and tonight I started prepping for tomorrow's ride and the 400 just does not want to start. I bump started it and it stayed on for about 2 minutes then shut off.

I'm guessing plug issue?
It's got the stock jetting on there so I know it can't be the jetting.

Help, please.

12-02-2005, 09:09 PM
mine did the same thing last spring...i was going through a plug every ride...the pilot was too lean, as was my main...it is fine now...unless i let it sit for a few weeks without starting it...then i will need to clean the plug off once or twice before she fires and stays running...

QuadJunkies
12-03-2005, 10:55 PM
I dont even have a choke and mine starts right up when the weather is cold or hot...!!!!

I just raced in 20 degree weather last wk end and had no issues. I also run a GT Thunder Rev box...

To me I believe its TOTALLY your pilot . You need to do a plug reading first. Find out how its performing , I find that sound and feel is better thna reading a plug sometimes IF you know your quad ;)

Start with your fuel screw ONE FULL TURN OUT and see if that helps any . Then if that doesnt help, go back one full turn and change your pilot one full size .Probelm should be solved.

Tina

QuadJunkies
12-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
A 400ex shouldn't go through alot of spark plugs unless something is wrong in my estimation. Do you keep your battery on a trickle charger when not in use for longer periods? Yes, is your jetting correct for the mods you have? and so on. More often than not, it is something that the owner is not doing right in my opinion and for my experiences. agreed!