PDA

View Full Version : Hard Numbers!

05-12-2002, 08:21 PM
Alright, I just got done grinding off my welds in my headpipe. I used dial calipers to find out exactly what the deal is. Here it is. I had anywhere from .900 to .975 in diameter with the welds. When I opened it up to the original inner diameter I got 1.155 in diameter strait thru now. Depending on how you do the math, its either a 18.5% increase in flow area or a 28.3% increase. Thats an average of 23.4% of flow area! I had one bead of weld that stuck out .075 of an inch past the majority of the rest of the weld! I will check back in with the seat of the pants results.:D

Nausty
05-12-2002, 11:00 PM
when you took it off was there any seals or anything that you need to replace?

spliffy
05-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Ive Heard Of This Before But How Do U Grind Them Off the Inside Of the Pipe... I Am Assuming You Are Talking About Right Before The Bend There Is A Weld On The Head Pipe.... I am Lost On How To Grind Inside Of that Though.

PsychoDave
05-13-2002, 12:44 PM
i used a drill as a grinder.......the grinding bit looked like a fat tapered finger. i just stuck it in the pipe and ground away. it took all of 1/2 hour including removal and installation. I used my finger to feel if the surface was smooth(ground off the weld)