PDA

View Full Version : exaust mods

05-12-2002, 07:55 PM
hey can i do anything worth while other than grinding the welds on my 400ex exaust to give it more power like take out the spark arrestor or something?

05-12-2002, 08:08 PM
I dont think you are gonna notice the difference without the arrestor. Thats pretty much all you can do to open it up, besides going with a larger diameter pipe, which will only increase top end and reduce low end.:D

05-13-2002, 04:55 AM
bump I saw a post about this a while back about drilling it out but I couldnt find it. Any one that could give some info it would be a big help.

05-13-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey!

One of my buddies got a stock exhaust off someone really cheap because the guy bought an aftermarket pipe.

We found some post on another site about modding the stock exhaust so we figured we'd try it with the spare pipe.

The pipe is split into 3 sections, the pipe runs to the middle, then another pipe runs from the middle middle section back to the front, and then another pipe runs all the way to the back where it goes through the spark arrestor and out. What we did was basically eliminate the first baffle. I've attach a quick drawing.

We opened the pipe up at the front weld, you have to saw through the first pipe to open it up. From there, we took an air hammer and fully removed the first pipe. So basically the exhaust can now run into the pipe and straight back to the spark arrestor. However, if you REALLY want to open up the pipe, take the three bolts out at the back of the pipe, remove the spark arrest and drill a large hole into the center section. We didn't do this because we wanted the pipe to remain quiet yet flow better. Without drilling the hole at the back, the pipe was slightly louder but still MUCH quieter than any aftermarket pipe I've heard. It's not on my machine but I'm being told that his machine definitely has more snap now.

It's a fair bit of work, and you need a welder to put it back together, but it was fun...

Lil90man!!
05-13-2002, 01:34 PM
i know like 10 people around here that have done this, they just take out the spark arrestor and drilled 3 3/8 inch holes in it they swear it made it run alot better and drag racing it will keep right with a bike with an white bro's e-series that's been rejetted soo??? it makes the bike alot louder too/though makes it REALLY throaty

VegasEx'r
05-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Do a search for "Gabe Mod", that's what you're looking for.