PDA

View Full Version : 450R.... stuck the piston after 10mins??????

QCquad83
04-02-2005, 08:56 PM
aight got mly 450R today and i went out to the track and was breaking it in. they preped it and when i got there i took another 45 mins to look over everything myself. then i did the usually let it warm up then rode it around. never opened it up all the way just short little burts just like i always have. while i was riding it it stalled out i went to kick it and i could stand on the kickstarted. wouldn't budge!!!! call the deal and took it back. i told him that it was manufacture defect and he agreed with me and i told him that i wanted the other one sitting in the showroom floor. he told me i couldn't cause of warrenty reasons. i told him that i did not want the motor that stuck back. i told him i wanted another one because there was something obviously wrong with that and honda needs to find out what it is. he was telling me that he didn't think honda would do that for me. i told him that it wasn't right or fair that it stuck after 10 mins. he said they'll fix it under warrenty. That is a bunch of BS!!!! What do u guys think? has anyone dealt with that? what should i do? but he had a used one in there so at least he let me take that home for the weekend until he finds out what is going to happen. at least i didn't drive home all the way for college on the weekend and didn't get to ride

shamisc
04-02-2005, 09:47 PM
I heard they were having problems with main bearings!:( I hope mine will be OK!:o

Martin Blair
04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
the bearing problem only seems to affect 05s though, yours is a 04?

shamisc
04-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Nope, it's an '05:grr: :ermm:

houdy450ex
04-03-2005, 09:14 AM
I was told late 04`s and early 05`s

houdy450ex
04-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Right crank bearing installed improperly.

QCquad83
04-03-2005, 04:47 PM
so will honda give me a new quad or motor

houdy450ex
04-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Wont get new quad, but either new motor or fix old one,but if the bearing went they would probably have to replace everything.

QCquad83
04-03-2005, 06:21 PM
yeah thats what i ment..... i told the dealer that i did not want that motor back.... there is obviously something wrong with that motor. its a lemon. there is no way a piston should stick after 10 mins of break in time.... i just hope my dealer pushes the issue. i dont think he will. when i was talking to him he was acting like there wasn't anything he could do. he even said that i could call honda and talk to them. yeah right like i'll be able to talk to anyone that can do anything for me.... i don't know i just hope i don't get screwed on this deal. i have been loayal to honda forever and i love all of them. i still feel the 450R is an excelent quad and is so fast and has the same honda ability feel. i just don't want to get a motor back that has been trashed already. :confused: :huh

Ralph
04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
if they fix it then it will be good as new,

if they can fix it then u will not get a new one, but if they fix it it will be good as any other and they will make sure of that because they dont want to pay double if you had to come back and get it done again.

twisted threads
04-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
if they fix it then it will be good as new,

if they can fix it then u will not get a new one, but if they fix it it will be good as any other and they will make sure of that because they dont want to pay double if you had to come back and get it done again.

I agree. If they fix your old motor it will be good as new when it returns.:cool:

QCquad83
04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
they should want the motor back to see excatly the problem was to fix it for the future

Ralph
04-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by QCquad83
they should want the motor back to see excatly the problem was to fix it for the future

they know already, have them fix it and be done with it.

QCquad83
04-03-2005, 08:01 PM
i know i'm just on stand by until he even talks to them it sucks

2MuchChi450R
04-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Call Honda and ask them if there is something they can do, if your dealer is nice, they should give you Honda's customer support phone number. Everything is made because there are people who ask. You don't need to be mad at Honda, it's just something that happens. The dealership didn't know that you were going to have a problem with your R, nor did Honda themselves. They weren't sceming that you were going to get a certain bike that they wanted to go wrong. I haven't heard or read anything on Honda's dealer site or service messages that report main bearings going bad. It's a rumor that's going around. Honda will work with you, just be patient.

QCquad83
04-04-2005, 08:57 AM
yep thats what i thought........i'm not outraged with anyone i just am upset just like anyone would be. i just want to know what is going on and i dont' want to have bad ties. i just want a good running machine that won't have problems in the future due to this one. but thanks for your imputs

Martin Blair
04-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Im glad I got a 04, it was manufactured in febuary 04 so hopefully it still got the better bearings.

hsr
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
Im glad I got a 04, it was manufactured in febuary 04 so hopefully it still got the better bearings.

How do you know when it was manufactured?

QCquad83
04-04-2005, 05:28 PM
well got word from my honda dealer today. he said something was wrong with the clutch. his mechanic came out and said that honda is aware of what is wrong with it. he said that the crank bearing was messed up. so just like u guys said. my dealer is going to talk to his rep tomarrow.

hsr
04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by QCquad83
well got word from my honda dealer today. he said something was wrong with the clutch. his mechanic came out and said that honda is aware of what is wrong with it. he said that the crank bearing was messed up. so just like u guys said. my dealer is going to talk to his rep tomarrow.

If you dont mind me asking what are the last 10 digits of your VIN number, all of this crank bearing BS is getting me paranoid.

QCquad83
04-05-2005, 08:04 AM
sorry. not sure. the 450 is at the dealer and i'm at college. i wrote it down but it is at home.

Martin Blair
04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by hsr
How do you know when it was manufactured?

the vin #

ct310
04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
thats absolute bull sh#t!! im going down to put your Honda rep in a freakin headlock. either your gettin a new motor,a new quad, or im a gonna pop his head off & stuff it in his ***** wish me luck (wish Him luck) $^**^$#@*&%$^&*%#$^&*^$$(:mad: :devil: :D :grr:

400exrider707
04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
I dont understand why anyone would get a new quad??? At MOST they will just replace the entire engine. I cant believe they even gave you a used one to take home and ride for the weekend!!! HOLY CRAP:eek2: You should be glad you got that man. I totally agree though I know I would be upset if this happened to me, but lets be realisitc, they are not going to trade you for a new one.

ct310
04-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I dont understand why anyone would get a new quad??? At MOST they will just replace the entire engine. I cant believe they even gave you a used one to take home and ride for the weekend!!! HOLY CRAP:eek2: You should be glad you got that man. I totally agree though I know I would be upset if this happened to me, but lets be realisitc, they are not going to trade you for a new one. WANNA BET ?

QCquad83
04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
:) :D :muscle: :D

powerslider
04-09-2005, 06:34 AM
What's to say a new engine or quad won't have the same problem? If your dealer has a good technition I wouldn't hesitate one bit to have them repair it, at least you'll know then it was assembled correctly and not by some assembly line that may not care as much......

QCquad83
04-09-2005, 10:33 AM
true but what about all those metal shavings in the engine? thats wear and tear already on everything else

powerslider
04-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Anything with obvious damage gets replaced along with other parts that may be questionable, again I would rather have my engine assembled by one person rather than a dozen or more individuals. You get better quality in the long run providing you have a tech that takes pride in his work.

k&k_400ex_82
04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
bet he gets a brand new one

400exredrider
04-10-2005, 12:30 AM
about the metal shavings,,, they have to split the cases anyway to replace the bearing,, so they would clean it out well.. if they fix it i would be satisfied because if it happens again you have on record that it happend once and the second time you pry will get a new engine,, but like i said,, if they fix it itll be good, if they replace the engine thats fine too but i doubt they will.

chad502ex
04-10-2005, 06:29 AM
just because the engine is new from factory does not excuse it from being built incorrectly.

a friend of mine has a new 450r engine with a wrist pin clip stuck in the one way oil reed valve in the bottom of the case. Both clips were installed in the piston too!

it's like honda dropped a clip in accidentally or something,...

:confused:

awj8074
04-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Mine had the right crank bearing go after about 45-50 hours. Dealer replaced every peice of the motor at no cost to me. I've only rode it once since then but its running great. Just have to break it in agian.

chad502ex
04-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by awj8074
Mine had the right crank bearing go after about 45-50 hours. Dealer replaced every peice of the motor at no cost to me. I've only rode it once since then but its running great. Just have to break it in agian.

50hours of run time seems like a long time to me...

wonder why it takes so long to go bad..

:confused:

awj8074
04-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
50hours of run time seems like a long time to me...

wonder why it takes so long to go bad..

:confused: i think mine was going for a while but i never noticed then i did alot of cold weather rides in the snow and i think the day it went i just started it in -5 degree weather and jumped on and went for a ride without letting it warm up :o

team_450_88
05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Mine crank gave out on me this weekend....but i have had the bike for a little while...i wish honda would give me a new crank and bearings:(

shamisc
05-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by team_450_88
Mine crank gave out on me this weekend....but i have had the bike for a little while...i wish honda would give me a new crank and bearings:(

Wouldn't hurt to call them!

QCquad83
05-26-2005, 06:57 PM
They Qcquad83 a brand new 04 that was at the dealership HONDA! There good People