PDA

View Full Version : 300ex stock setup?

fasterblaster09
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
i was wondering if anyone knows about what a 300ex stock setup (stock a-arms and shocks) can take..i realy dont have $800 to buy aftermarket,and i dont do 15 foot jumps.i was just going to make me a few little hills,maybe 5 feet at the most (im new at jumping),and i was wondering if stock would hold up good.and i dont think i would need a landing ramp for such a small jump(or do i?). and also-i have my frotn stock rims turned around to change my offset to make my front end wider,and was wondering if it will be strong anough to hold up little jumps..

any info would be great,thanx neil

300ex73
04-03-2005, 08:36 AM
From what I've read, flipping your rims can actually make the handling worse. So first thing I'd do is turn them back around. As for jumping on your stock suspension, it all depends on how high you'll be getting. If you're wanting to get about 5 high when you're jumping, that might be a bit much for the stock suspension. I was getting about 3 feet and snapped a front shock. One thing you could do is look through the for sale section for people selling used 300 parts. Especially the front suspension. the a-arms could prolly hold up, but I'd try and get a set of decent shocks.

If you're not wanting to completely break the bank, try getting a set of Works AT Steelers for the front. They're relatively cheap. You could prolly get a set from EBay for $500 or less. Also, if you can find one, try to get a rear shock from a 2001 Yamaha Raptor. Only the 2001 shocks will fit, as they have a remote reservoir. Any other year has a piggyback reservoir and will not fit.

Another thing to look into, especially if you're going to be jumping, is a set of nerf bars. DG makes a set that would work great, and have a good price tag on them.

I know that all of the parts I've mentioned cost a good bit of money, but are all well worth the cost. And I'd say it's a pretty good idea to get the shocks on the front now, befoer you end up breaking something, or bottoming out and having a nasty wreck. Trust me, I've found out what happens when you bottom out really hard. It sucks.

fasterblaster09
04-03-2005, 11:41 AM
well i already have dg nerfs...and i still dont have $500..any other stock shocks that work better will fit a 300ex? (stock shocks from a different bike)

Birddogg
04-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Flipping your rims around will wear out your ball joints and puts more leverage against your stock shocks.