PDA

View Full Version : plug or patch

rob-u/21
04-02-2005, 01:49 PM
what is a better fix, a plug or a patch. Wholes arent big just a couple of nails going through.

mx400
04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
plug will work till you can break down the tire off of the rim and patch it correctly.

Screamin440
04-03-2005, 04:41 AM
We have plug patches at the shop. They're great because you're combining the best of both worlds. I'm not sure if they're available at a retail parts store or not.

DeerNuts
04-03-2005, 08:54 PM
^^^ How does a plug-patch work? I am assuming it is a plug, of course, that mounts on the inside, that has a patch connected to it. Sorry if Im describing what I think incorrectly.

I think I know what you mean, and it sounds like they would definitely work very well.

marty
04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
The plug patch is a patch with a nipple that goes through the hole. You have to break the bead and patch the instde of the tire.
The stock rims are almost impossable to get a tire off of! I just bough new tires and had 2 shops(a atv store and a tire store) try to break the beads. 2 tires came off 2 did not and one rim got slightly bent. I had to cut them off the rims with a wizzer.
I had plugs in 2 tires for 2 years, I know how bad this is, but I even pluged a 1" gash in a front sidewall, it took 3 plugs, and it lasted 6 months. All 3 pluged tires still held air when I replaced them. Don't plug or pach sidewalls!
Paches are better, but I don't feel its worth the risk to your tire, or the work, to use patches with stock rims. Get good plugs and a small air pump and carry them on your quad and don't worry.

YFZCHAMP
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Plugs are not good, unreliable, patch, ??? Green slime put in a tire will do the work for you, and you don't have to worry about it leaving you high and dry.

For rec ridin doesn't matter, for racing SLIME