PDA

View Full Version : ? on installing HD Rod

TC426EX
04-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Just wondering some details before I swap out the rod on my 400ex. Ive rebuilt this thing and split the cases over 3 times so Im capable of doing the work, except I have never messed with my crank before.

1) Will I have to split the cases to do this job or will I be able to have access to complete the job with just the top end removed?

2) Is a press or any other shop machinery required?

3) Will the crank have to be re-balanced after installing the rod, and if so what is required to do that? If it requires special machinery or expertise Ill probably take it somewhere to get this part done.

4) Any other parts I will need to get this job done...

Thanks alot in advance...

2muchquad
04-02-2005, 11:32 AM
yes you will have to split the cases.furthermore replacing a rod is a job i usually leave to the pros.they have a press to get the crank apart and install the new rod,not to mention setting up clearances etc on the thrust washers.Me personally i dont let another person or shop work on my stuff but a crank is different.you could install the crank assembly once youve had your rod replaced,thats easy enough:)

TC426EX
04-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Im gonna let a machine shop do the work. I contacted a dealership about it and they said they just farm the cranks out for this type of work to a machine shop and they were cool enough to give me the number to just go through them myself. Thanks...