PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Carillo rod?

TC426EX
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
As I posted recently, my bike is blown up from a thrown rod. I just got a complete 2003 bottom end on the way and definitely need to replace the rod with a HD unit before rebuilding it.

I cant find Carillo rods anywhere on a net search, so I was wondering if anyone knows where to get one and how much they run. I was looking at the Sparks rod but thats like 220 bucks and Im trying to spend under 200 if possible. Any information would be appreciated. If you know any other good reputable HD rods please list some info as well including price and where to get em. I really appreciate the help, as soon as I get this info I can order this thing and start the major surgery required to have a running bike again...

2muchquad
04-01-2005, 06:02 PM
i think you can get a hd rod from Vesrah.i know dennis kirk sells them.you could look around online.good luck:)

MXRACER86
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Go to www.carrilloind.com ;) Call them up!

TC426EX
04-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks alot, Ill contact them and see if I can direct order from them or get a list of distributors. I contacted C+D about it too so Ill see if they get back to me in the next few days before I place an order...

Looks like Ill be spending about 225 no matter how I slice it. I thought the Carillos were like 180 but they mustve raised it.

Dave400ex
04-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I thought getting it through Carillo direct was actually cheaper then going through Sparks...

mx400
04-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Carrilo rods are very very nice. Sparks rods are nice too. If you are on the skimp w/ money why not just get your rod shot peened and chryoed. only cost ya maybe 150.

TC426EX
04-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but even though Im a little short on cash Im gonna go with a reputable aftermarket rod. I dont plan on chintzing again on the part that just caused me the major failure. This is the Last time I want to end up splitting these cases and doing this work for a long long time.

hetrick425ex
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
i see you have JB stuff already...
you could get one through him, us (hetrick racing), baldwin motorsports etc...
please do not hesitate to spend some $$$ on the rod...
check this out...
http://www.hetrickracing.com/400rodopps1.jpg
this is what happens...
have fun

TC426EX
04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
That link looks EXACTLY like my engine now... Im such a dumb***** for not installing one in the first place... Now that Ill have a good rod, Im gonna go to a 13:1 piston kit. I got it apart and there is MAJOR damage. Cylinder is trashed, piston skirt is damaged, rod snapped, bottom end is in total carnage. Only thing Im happy for is that all the major modified parts like my Head and cam werent damaged. Luckily I was able to find a complete bottom end and new cylinder for not too much money and Ill still have the same engine I got now when Im done rebuilding it except more reliable and higher compression. Its costing me around 5-600 bucks total to fix everything not inculding what its gonna cost for the crank work to replace the rod, so all in all its not TOO bad... could be worse I guess, I figured Id be spending well over a grand...

Dave400ex
04-03-2005, 10:15 PM
13:1 is pretty high even with all the heavy duty stuff. I think I would want like a 12:1 just to keep it more reliable, not to mention cooler...

TC426EX
04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
12:1 is what I just had in there.... With the HD rod/trued+welded crank, HD Head studs and 426 sleeve instead of boring the stock one, I think Ill be alright uppin it. I know of a couple people who have 13:1 440's that've ran great for years with the HD equipment. I have the external Micky Dunlap cooler and a temp. guage on my oil dipstick to both help with cooling and let me keep track of my temp. to rest it when necessary. I also tear at least the top end down at the end of every season to replace anything that needs it and inspect the engine.

Turns out Im gonna have more spare parts than I need now. I have that complete 2003 bottom coming and a new cylinder + rod, but I just found another great deal. My one friend who doesnt ride very much anymore is parting out his 400ex and wants to sell me his entire motor with the carb for 350. Its a 2001 so Im gonna snag it up before his non-computer using ***** figures out what its really worth haha. Thanks though for the help Dave I appreciate it...

Dave400ex
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
$350 is a steal! :eek2: Good luck with the rebuild, I'm sure that TC motor is a strong one.