PDA

View Full Version : cammod vs change out cams

dogmanjayx
04-01-2005, 03:55 PM
my question is if i do the cam mod then decide later to change out the cams to better 1's will this effect anything i have not done anything yet but soon i will but i need to do more research

ketchup
04-02-2005, 01:36 AM
First, you need to pay more attention in english class.

After that, you can change your cams out for an increase in performance over the cam. mod.

Freestylemxr
04-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by ketchup
After that, you can change your cams out for an increase in performance over the cam. mod.

hhmm I have a feeling he knew that much already.. :p

But the new cams over stock cams are machined differently and give you much more top end, as the cam mod is just advancing the timing and will give you a little top end, the new cams advance timing and are groved differently to give you better top end

And by the way if you are looking for bottom end power, cams wouldn't be the best choice, they give mostly all top end

ketchup
04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Well this guy doesn't know what he's talkin' about either. The cam. mod. will move your powerband further up the RPM range, adding top end. As for aftermarket cams, your choices are...

Hotcams- One grind which is a top end, race grind, no core charge. An good, reliable, economic choice.

Web Cams- Come in more than one grind. They have a torque grind for low and mid power and a race grind for top-end power. There are 2 versions of the race cam that I know of, the 187 2.5's and the 187 5's. The +5's are pretty hard to come by though. Web's are kind of expensive and require a core.

Crower Cams- the Gen. 1 is a low-mid cam, probably the best on the market for low-end power. Requires a core.

Crower Cams- Gen. 2 is a top-end cam suitable for drag races but I'm not sure if it's officially in production yet. No core charge as they are billet.

Ron Woods cams- Very pricey but Ron Woods makes great products so I bet they're worth every penny. I believe they are a top end race cam as well and require a core.

I believe there are other companies selling cams but all that I am aware of are one of or at least a variation of the above.

Freestylemxr
04-02-2005, 10:03 PM
take it easy killer! Just saying that most cams are put it for top end power, and thats what most cams are! notice i didnt say all cams are top end...

ketchup
04-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Freestylemxr

And by the way if you are looking for bottom end power, cams wouldn't be the best choice, they give mostly all top end

What you said was...

Cams are not a good choice if you want to improve your low-midrange power because cams make mostly top end power. Cams are one of the best mods you can do to an engine to increase power ANYWHERE in the powerband. I'm not jumpin' on your ****, but if you're going to provide info., make sure it's accurate so you're not misleading someone.

EvilJester400EX
04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
The Crower Gen1 cam is a low to midrange power cam.

Kennethyfz450
04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Well this guy doesn't know what he's talkin' about either. The cam. mod. will move your powerband further up the RPM range, adding top end. As for aftermarket cams, your choices are...

Hotcams- One grind which is a top end, race grind, no core charge. An good, reliable, economic choice.

Web Cams- Come in more than one grind. They have a torque grind for low and mid power and a race grind for top-end power. There are 2 versions of the race cam that I know of, the 187 2.5's and the 187 5's. The +5's are pretty hard to come by though. Web's are kind of expensive and require a core.

Crower Cams- the Gen. 1 is a low-mid cam, probably the best on the market for low-end power. Requires a core.

Crower Cams- Gen. 2 is a top-end cam suitable for drag races but I'm not sure if it's officially in production yet. No core charge as they are billet.

Ron Woods cams- Very pricey but Ron Woods makes great products so I bet they're worth every penny. I believe they are a top end race cam as well and require a core.

I believe there are other companies selling cams but all that I am aware of are one of or at least a variation of the above.

crower cams are junk
the gen 1 was a gimmick
i'll try to find some dyno runs

the web cam race grind is the most liked on central and its a little expensive

ron woods has some serious top end only cams, and they are high dollar, and i dont believe you can buy them yet.

the yzf timing is the best thing you can do on the yfz it spreads powr out everywhere.
i will try to find a dyno

hotcams lost a 2-3 horses all the way to 9oooRpm's and then gained 2 horses
ill try to find dyno

you can find all of these mentioned at trx450r.org

ml450r
04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Nobody knows what they are talking about, I took both my cams out and it is twice as fast, lighter too.......

everyone has their own opinions and the companies have sales pitches. good luck....
Merrill Crose

ketchup
04-12-2005, 12:39 AM
crower cams are junk
the gen 1 was a gimmick
i'll try to find some dyno runs

the web cam race grind is the most liked on central and its a little expensive

ron woods has some serious top end only cams, and they are high dollar, and i dont believe you can buy them yet.

the yzf timing is the best thing you can do on the yfz it spreads powr out everywhere.
i will try to find a dyno

hotcams lost a 2-3 horses all the way to 9oooRpm's and then gained 2 horses
ill try to find dyno

you can find all of these mentioned at trx450r.org

yzf timing is NOT the best thing you can do to your yfz. Yeah, it's free and it improves your powerband. Far from the best mod. A bike with ANY aftermarket cams will be faster. And as far as Crower being junk...again, you don't know what you're talkin' about.

I've run stock cams, cam. mod., hotcams intake with stock exhaust cam. modded., both hotcams, crower cams...I have first hand experience with these cams. My bike is faster with the Crower than it was with any other set-up. I haven't had a chance to test the webs yet or race a bike equipped with them so I'm not gonna comment on their performance.