PDA

View Full Version : 660r or 400ex?

T-were
04-01-2005, 09:06 AM
im looking for some input, a couple of my buddys each have a quad for sale, a 2001 400ex for $2,400, or a 2002 660r raptor for $2,300. both are mint but the raptor needs new rear bearings, what one do i go with. i love the reliabilty of the ex but, i hate to pass up the power of the 660. let me know what you think. thanks

jonc623
04-01-2005, 10:18 AM

04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
400...the craptors suck. please don't get me started. I have owned a 400ex and ridden the raptors for enough to know they are garbage.

Toyman220
04-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
400...the craptors suck. please don't get me started. I have owned a 400ex and ridden the raptors for enough to know they are garbage.

O.k. that is funny. The Raptor is a far superior quad. Nothing against the Honda, but it is just outdated. Yes, you can put money into a 400ex and make them pretty spunky, but why? Stock for stock, the raptor smokes the 400ex everywhere, plus has reverse as a bonus.

04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Toyman220
O.k. that is funny. The Raptor is a far superior quad. Nothing against the Honda, but it is just outdated. Yes, you can put money into a 400ex and make them pretty spunky, but why? Stock for stock, the raptor smokes the 400ex everywhere, plus has reverse as a bonus. :p thats news to me...how is a raptor going to be faster then a 400ex when you are working on it more than you ride it..raptor=money pit ...you dont get what you pay for. If I couldn't resell a raptor I wouldn't ever pay more than $2,000 for one brand new. Thats about all they are worth IMO

nobody1973
04-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
:p thats news to me...how is a raptor going to be faster then a 400ex when you are working on it more than you ride it..raptor=money pit ...you dont get what you pay for. If I couldn't resell a raptor I wouldn't ever pay more than $2,000 for one brand new. Thats about all they are worth IMO

Why is the Raptor such a money pit? Please fill me in on what all goes wrong with them will you? The only thing that I can think of is the 2001 trany prob. Other than that i would say they are a good ride.. I sold my 2002 400ex last year and bought a 2004 raptor and so far it's been a good all around ride. Anyway, I would have to say go with the Raptor.

Robin Hood
04-01-2005, 04:18 PM
You'll be satisfied with either...

Although I own a raptor, a lot of my friends ride ex's and i ride them all the time...

And as for what goes wrong with a raptor, its only the 01's, and i think the 400 ex owners only dis the raptor cause its that much better, and they pick out the 01 raptor problems and nag on them only. The newer raptors have no problems whatsoever.

2002+ raptor > 400ex

Toyman220
04-01-2005, 04:58 PM
It is a given that the 01 Raptor had tranny problems. After that though, I don't know what is wrong with them. I know alot of people that have owned raptors problem free for quite some time. Since the 01's, the only other complaint I hear from people about raptors is that they are too topheavy. I think that if you use body english when you ride them it pretty much eliminates the problem. The point is that you can get wheel spacers or a wider axle for the raptor to eliminate the top heavy feeling, but what would you have to spend to make the 400ex perform like the raptor?

jak1389
04-04-2005, 07:54 PM
get the ex, will save u in the long run

yo steve u gotta get ride of the rap and start ridin red bro:devil:

raptorrider686
04-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Raptors are way way way better then a 400EX. But 400EX are nice. It all depends on what condition they are in to. And what kind of riding you do.

Butters
04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
i would go with the raptor. i have a couple of friends that ride them and they both have pipes and they haul. but of course i ride a 300 so what doesn't haul.

04-08-2005, 12:51 PM
O.k. that is funny. The Raptor is a far superior quad. Nothing against the Honda, but it is just outdated. Yes, you can put money into a 400ex and make them pretty spunky, but why? Stock for stock, the raptor smokes the 400ex everywhere, plus has reverse as a bonus.

Who wants to use reverse? Raptors are nice, but heavy and there transmissions are ****! My little brother just had to replace his after two seasons of riding. When we took the bike to the shop the the guy told me its a known problem with the Raptor. Especialy when you start to build them, it can't handle the power. It all depends on how much you want to spend in the long run. If I were you I would spend the extra 1000.00 and get a reliable bike with some potential.

Toyman220
04-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by gotcam?
Who wants to use reverse? Raptors are nice, but heavy and there transmissions are ****! My little brother just had to replace his after two seasons of riding. When we took the bike to the shop the the guy told me its a known problem with the Raptor. Especialy when you start to build them, it can't handle the power. It all depends on how much you want to spend in the long run. If I were you I would spend the extra 1000.00 and get a reliable bike with some potential.

Apparently alot of people want reverse, because even the 400ex went to reverse now. The only year of raptor that I have really heard complaints about is the 01. I have several friends that have Raptors from stock like mine, to raptors with stroker kits. The only one that has had tranny problems is the 01. They seem like a very reliable quad as long as you maintain them. I don't know that there are a lot f 4 strokers out there with more potential then the raptor. It has alot more potential then the yfz.

Flynbryan19
04-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Aside from the 01' tranny issues(I had an 01' :( ), ALL the model years also have a VERY weak design for a one-way bearing, and a joke of an airfilter setup. They also have a very low rear-end that hangs on everything for wood riding. They can be made to handle pretty well, but you will be putting aftermarket a-arms, rear axle, and aftermarket shocks to get there. Although I will say no one has ever questioned they're horsepower potential.

They aren't a terrible quad by any stretch, but if you want handling get an ex...... If you want horsepower, get a raptor.

akraptor
04-08-2005, 02:01 PM
where are you going to mainly ride at? MX or trails? 400ex makes a much nicer mx ride stock thent he raptor stuck. unless you don't mind putting 800+ bucks in new a-arms suspension and rear axle on the raptor. i have a friend with an 04 400ex and it is alot easier to go around the track then my raptor. i would say go with the raptor if you are going to do more trail riding. but go with the 400 ex if you want to do mainly mx

MadDog56
04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
They aren't a terrible quad by any stretch, but if you want handling get an ex...... If you want horsepower, get a raptor.
I was waiting for this response from someone. Its obvious that these two bikes each have their strong points and neither is necessarily better than the other. You just need to look a the type of riding you plan on doing and decide which best fits your needs, not just now but what you will want in the future as well.

As for the comments about shoddy raptors, dont get too far off base. The 2001 MY was the only with trans problems and of those a very large number are still running strong. Most of the 01 raptors with trans problems were not piped trail bikes but moderate to highly modified machines pushing 50% or more hp than stock. The one way design is definately weak, but there are preventative measures you can take and as of 04 the problem is supposed to be fixed.

2004400exa
04-21-2005, 07:34 PM
i currently own a 04 400ex that id just bought and all i have on it is a uni airfilter and nerfbars and one i my cusins own one that is bran new out of the shop so i raced it in a feild and beat it from the start for a while then after a while he cought up to me and passed me and my dad works at the yamaha dealer and he said it would be good to have a raptor cause of the bigger motor but also a 400ex would be better cause ive herd they lasted a long time and there suspension is very good also. so basicly its what kind of riding that person does so if u r trail riding in a woods a 400 would be better

400exc
04-23-2005, 04:27 PM
To me, preferebly, since i have riddin both many times, and i own a 400ex, I would go wiotht the raptor. The power is needed for any particular reason, and is a nice quad to ride around on and be proud of. I am very proud of my 400ex, i have no complaints, but i would say the 660 is a all round better quad. It could beat the 400 at about any thing you put it up too. I know i am making the 400's look bad, even though i have one, i wouls still go witht the 660, they are better at trail riding with the reverse, dunes because of all the power, and wheelies because of speed and power. Look in "Dirt Wheels Magazine" and read about the raptors in their shootouts. It can keep up with the other ones, and beat alot of them.

onefast400ex
08-09-2005, 09:20 PM
get the 400 it will save u in the long run

DvxDirtSlinger
08-10-2005, 11:52 PM
where you at and whats wrong witht he rappy that the guy only wants $2300 for it?? has it been beat to piss or what

prepracing
08-28-2005, 05:01 AM

yeah raptors are the best, thats why you see so many people racing them :confused: the only thing a raptor will beat a 400ex on is a dead straight drag race, if you have to turn or anything on the raptor you would be screwed. 400ex is more reliable and much easier to maintain and work on, although I doubt it would ever tear up:D

slamdak8782
08-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Dude I have a400ex and I would rather the Raptor too . That bike is just badass and you can build it to womp on about any bike. And hey it might save you in the long run but who cares. I love it when stuff breaks on my bike because then I have a reason to buy expensive stuff for it. End of discussion. Buy the Raptor or I will lol

lzyga05
08-29-2005, 12:17 PM
there both good but i would go with the rap
they only suck becsue the owers suck and dont take care of them... so thats idea

TRXRacer1
08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Handling = 400ex

Power Potential = Rappy

It's real easy to make a 400ex push 40hp, it's not as easy to make a rappy handle like a 400ex. Some have suggested buying the more expensive rappy and spending more to get it to handle better, I say get the less expencive 400ex and then put a little money in for power. You'll be ahead in the long run.

Raptor runner
09-18-2005, 05:12 AM
Ok I have both machines, and raptor and a ex 400... The ex is a ok machine, it is a bit out dated, yet it is also a time proven machine... raptors are far more powerfull, and wiegh like 3 lbs more than a Ex... My raptor has never broken down once, niether has my EX... Basicaly I always ride the raptor, and let my unexperinced friends or, girl friend ride the EX... The raptor will out perform the EX in everything, except the ex might have slightly better steering, not handling, steering. Not to mention the raptor is liquid cooled, and has reverse... I know if I could only have one machine it would be the Raptor hands down. Im not down on the EX, if I didnt think it was a good machine, I wouldnt own one... But outdated is outdated, and thats what the EX is.

tits
09-18-2005, 09:38 AM
prepracing have you ever even driven a raptor i have an 03 with a wider axle and itp rims that are offset and id like to see somebody on a 400 ex take me on a track

TRXRacer1
09-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by tits
prepracing have you ever even driven a raptor i have an 03 with a wider axle and itp rims that are offset and id like to see somebody on a 400 ex take me on a track So you admit that it was crappy to begin with, that's cool.

bmurray
01-20-2006, 10:13 PM
EX is the way to go. Not only tranny issues with the Craptors, but how about the cracked swingarms and ****ed carriers?. My buddy just bought one at the great advice of two Craptor owning brothers. Well the long time Honda owner (now Yami owner) is really second guessing his desision.

When I was younger, I had an 87 TRX250r and some of my buddies had Hondas and some had Yamas. After a while we Honda guys stopped asking the Yami dudes to go riding. They always broke or just had sh*t fall off, and we would spend the day towing them back and working on their quads. This is from experience.

I think Yamaha has come a long way, but still not a Honda. I know any bike can break, but it happens a lot more with the Yamis. That's something that can't be proven wrong!

LTandRaptorider
01-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by bmurray
EX is the way to go. Not only tranny issues with the Craptors, but how about the cracked swingarms and ****ed carriers?. My buddy just bought one at the great advice of two Craptor owning brothers. Well the long time Honda owner (now Yami owner) is really second guessing his desision.

When I was younger, I had an 87 TRX250r and some of my buddies had Hondas and some had Yamas. After a while we Honda guys stopped asking the Yami dudes to go riding. They always broke or just had sh*t fall off, and we would spend the day towing them back and working on their quads. This is from experience.

I think Yamaha has come a long way, but still not a Honda. I know any bike can break, but it happens a lot more with the Yamis. That's something that can't be proven wrong!

Well, I just de-bunked your post on LT's... I might as well do the same on your post about Raptors! You aren't related to mixmastermike, are you? :confused: :rolleyes:

Yes, the 01 Rappy had tranny issues. Mine is an 01, thankfully I haven't had any tranny issues. Now you ******ing about swing-arms and carriers.. WTF? As far as carriers... If you don't do regular maintenance and lube/ replace bearings, you WILL have prpobs with the carrier. I've heard no probs about the swingarm. My Raptor "crapped" out twice due to a dead battery, once requiring an embarrassing tow from a bud on his 400... Hardly the fault of Yamaha. :rolleyes: Yes, they are taller and narrower... especially compared to my low and wide LT, which I am used to. I put wheel extenders on all four wheels, which IMO helped handling out greatly. My "Craptor" handles just fine after that against the 400 EX... :D

bmurray
01-21-2006, 09:41 PM
it still a Yamaha. They just freaking SUCK! They go out and put big, fast motors in the quads and 1/2 *ss everything else. Just another example, hell even the racks on thier utility quads can't be fixed-welded due to the thin cheap sh*t they call steel tubing. They should change the name to Yamakozamoto or something, after those cheap *** Chinese crap bikes. They are a little better than those. Yamaha should just stick with outboards and electric organs!

tits
02-11-2006, 08:42 PM
man you dont have any idea what you are talking about so just shut up

bmurray
02-11-2006, 09:12 PM
I had Yamahas, and they sucked, so blow me!

Groundworx
02-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I owned an 02 Raptor and an 02 400ex at the same time. I prefered the 400 just for the handling. But the Raptor had better power, jumping, and reverse is a plus. The Raptor for $2300 seems pretty cheap to me. If you can get the cash together, just buy both...

tits
02-16-2006, 04:07 PM
whatever bmurray hondas suck as so why dony you blow me bas#ard

bmurray
02-16-2006, 04:47 PM
why do Hondas have such a better rep as being more dependable, and have better resale value. But you wouldn't know that since your bike is made by a piano/keyboard mfg. I think they even make flutes, which is what you are generally blowing on, you "skin flute" musician!:D :D :D

ride_red666
02-26-2006, 03:07 PM
my friend had a 2005 660r and it was in the shop more than he rode it. lots of problems with it. bought it brand new. sold it and bought a cr250r :D

tits
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM
whatever bmurray go blow your boyfriends bagpipe you fa@et ***** honda lover

450rJam
03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
alot of wind in this thread..........with all the blowing lol........the 660 had trans prob. in 01 already said they also have super weak A arms. and the seat height was too high and too narrow making them pron to rolling they have alot of torque but with a 416 or 426 kit the ex will hang even in a drag. now the new 700 fixed alot of the old stuff. It sets lower and wider, added fuel inj. and beefed up the arms. the 660's are going to get cheap now that the run of 450's and the 700 and the 500 pred are all smoking it on every level. the 400ex is still going to hold value because its reliable and its a stepping stone between the entry level 250/300 and the all out haul @ss models. If i was to buy the wife a new quad it would be a 400 just because they are a great trail ride and still fast enough to get it done