PDA

View Full Version : 450R vs. YFZ

400sEXridr
04-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Alright I know that theres probably a thousand threads out there on this subject, but I just want a compare/contrast of the different characteristics of each bike. I don't really care to hear about how much anyone hates one of the bikes, just opinions on power, handling, etc. Thanks

04-01-2005, 12:31 PM
:chinese: this is getting old

TRXDresh
04-01-2005, 02:07 PM
If you want comfort and great ergonomics go with the Honda. The Honda has good power and phenominal riding charachteristics. The brakes on the Honda are second to none. The seat is very comfortable. These pro's are why most XC riders are changing over to the Honda.
The Yamaha has explosive power, and feels like it is stuck to the ground. Because of the low CG (Center of Gravity), the YFZ feels very stable through turns. In stock form, the YFZ gets out of corners better and is easier to clear jumps right after a corner. Both are good jumpers. The Honda is a little light in the front end. This can be fixed with a +1 swingarm. As you ad mor aftermarket components, the weaknesses of both get better, and the bikes seem to even out accross the board.
My personal preference is the Honda because I can ride all day without getting wore out. When riding in tight spaces, I feel that the brakes on the Honda allow me to charge harder into corners with confidence. The suspension on the Honda allow a less harsh ride.
Either way, both bikes are awesome. I would love to have either. After all the trash talk about the Honda, I was kind of disappointed thinking my bike was not as good as the Yamaha. As you can see from the results this year, the Honda is back on the podium like they were with the 250r's. I actually just bought another one so that I have a practice bike and a play bike. I would reccomend them to everyone. The fact of the matter is, it comes down to rider. The better rider is going to win, regardless of which machine he/she is on. My bet is the Suzuki will be just as good as the TRX and YFZ, or better. Just my 2 cents.

YFZ450Ridr
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
what is this thread 1,000,000 on this topic:confused:

if you know there are a lot of topics on it, then do a search.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php

4fiddyR
04-01-2005, 05:55 PM
YFZ's run on Kerosene, and 450R's run on Diesel, other than that, they are the same.:rolleyes:

TRXDresh
04-01-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't mind talking about it again. As time goes on, you find good things and bad things about both. As new technology comes out, these quads can be transformed into monsters. If you don't want to talk about the post than don't respond, and don't tell us that we shouldn't talk about certain topics. If you are a die hard rider, you can re-hash topics over and over and never get tired of it. Nuff said.

xander1027
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by TRXDresh
I don't mind talking about it again. As time goes on, you find good things and bad things about both. As new technology comes out, these quads can be transformed into monsters. If you don't want to talk about the post than don't respond, and don't tell us that we shouldn't talk about certain topics. If you are a die hard rider, you can re-hash topics over and over and never get tired of it. Nuff said.

i second you on that

Punk'd
04-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
what is this thread 1,000,000 on this topic:confused:

if you know there are a lot of topics on it, then do a search.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php

Yeah James ease up :macho

04-01-2005, 09:15 PM
TO ME THE HONDA JUST FELT MORE COMFORTABLE AND I DIDN'T WANT TO WORY ABOUT RELIABILITY. IT PAID OFF. :D

Norris3710
04-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I am thinking about buying eather a 450r or a yfz i like the feel of the 450r better but the yfz is faster and a buddy of mine is getting the yfz and i want to smoke him. i plann on puting a 13.5 piston in the 450r and a stage 2 hot cam, sparks pipe and a k&n airfilter. how bad would i beat him if he did the cam mod and a pipe,filter, i am kinda worried that he is still going to beat me because eather of us can take a loss and we will prolly do everything that can be done but we like to stay away from boring out the motors. i dont want to make a mistake let me know what you think

houdy450ex
04-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Who`s the better rider? Are you just drag racing or racing mx ?Who weighs more?If you do the mods you said and he did his I would say it would come down to the rider,but if you two are about equal I would give the nod to the Honda.

seven
04-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Norris3710
I am thinking about buying eather a 450r or a yfz i like the feel of the 450r better but the yfz is faster and a buddy of mine is getting the yfz and i want to smoke him. i plann on puting a 13.5 piston in the 450r and a stage 2 hot cam, sparks pipe and a k&n airfilter. how bad would i beat him if he did the cam mod and a pipe,filter, i am kinda worried that he is still going to beat me because eather of us can take a loss and we will prolly do everything that can be done but we like to stay away from boring out the motors. i dont want to make a mistake let me know what you think

With those mods it would be a heads up and come down to who is the better rider. One thing I like about the YFZ is you can get that same HP with a slip on and a k&N with the cam mod

Norris3710
04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
yea im prolly going to get the yfz even though i am a honda fan but the yammi is faster and reacts alot better to simple mods

ridinredodb
04-03-2005, 07:26 PM
the YFZ is not faster than the 450R when modded.

example
YFZ has 11.9-1 piston/ honda has 10.5-1 piston

YFZ has a race cam and doesnt react to a cam change near as other quads do/ honda put a pure bottom end cam from the factory but offer the HRC kit and that makes a huge difference

the YFZ's rev limit is around 11,000 RPM "not sure on exact number" and the honda's rev limit is a low 9,800 RPM
the honda with the HRC kit is still building power when the limiter comes on.

my 450R has a full system HMF ballance series exhaust and the HRC kit. my friend has a YFZ with a full system GYTR exhaust, jet kit and a UNI filter and in a drag race i beat him everytime.

ridinredodb
04-03-2005, 07:28 PM
if i remember correctly the fastest quad at the Four Stroke Wars was a honda 450R

kssandduner
04-03-2005, 07:48 PM
The yamahas aren't even actual "450's" yet are they?? Does it make that much improvement when they are bored out to an actual "450"??

Joe

sampleez
04-03-2005, 09:54 PM
it would prolly make a little difference. but i don't know if the 06 yfz will have more bore or more stroke. if it has more stroke, it would make more of a difference that the bore.

a buddy of mine has an 05 450r with a hrc kit and full yoshie, and he said mine felt quite a bit faster. and i only has a slip-on and the cam mod

2MuchChi450R
04-03-2005, 11:30 PM
It all comes to rider and preference. I'm Honda-biased simply because of reliability, ease of use, and I work for a dealership :devil: The press doesn't help really, but look at Natalie JR., he was on Yamahas last year now he's on a Honda. He won on Yamahas and hes won on his Honda. I just think it all really comes down to what you think fits for you. They both have about the same aftermarket.