PDA

View Full Version : Warning for CR killswitch/starter button users...

300ex73
04-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I found this out the very hard way yesterday, so I wanted to warn anyone else out there who may use these type of killswitch buttons, or similar ones for a starter button.

Generally, when someone uses these, they warp the handlebar with electrical tape to keep the switch from grounding and shorting out. You need to make sure to keep a very close eye on the tape, as it can wear through and eventually cause a short.

This happened on my 300EX yesterday. The starter button would work fine, but I noticed a hissing sound. The switch had grounded out, and was causing a short. The hissing was actually my clutch cable melting. By the time I was able to figure out what the noise had been coming from, it was too late. It nearly completely melted down the cable. The cable housing was actually too hot to touch.

There are a few ways around this. Switching to a Yamaha YZ killswitch, or keeping very close tabs on the tape to make sure there is no grounding out.

Anyways, I figured I'd share the info, make sure to put out a warning, to keep anyone from having to blow $15-$20 everytime the switch shorts out.

mx400
04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
you could rap rubber and then the tape around it.

Quadrider12
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
i almost used a cr kill as my starter button, but i didnt because i was scared of the tape ripping and the bike shutting off

mx400
04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
i just installed mine today and no problems thus far.

300ex73
04-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Just keep an eye on it, the tape can wear through. I didn't worry about mine doing it until it happened.