PDA

View Full Version : help setting up a 2001 400ex

cgsr97
04-01-2005, 02:46 AM
i just bought a 2001 400ex that is all stock and need alot more power! I am riding with someone on one of the new yamaha 450;s and he is smoking me. I want to keep it reliable but it has to be alot faster. I was looking at the 11:1 big bore kit with the stage 2 cam, high rev cdi and jet kit but he said it will break down alot easier. Is this true? If so what about a stage 1 cam, changing the head gasket out to raise the compreesion, a jet kit, the high rev cdi, and a pipe? Aslo what is a good pipe to build power with for a reasonable price? Sorry if this sounds like a kid blabbing but I am used to croch rokets and big block chevys this is my first four wheeler. Thank you for any help you can give.

BLEEDRED
04-01-2005, 06:01 AM
If set up properly with HD head studs and a good three piece flex steel gasket there is no reason a 440 can't be reliable. I went with the 440 and stage two cam along with the curtis sparks X-6 full system. Makes good power, I'm not saying that I can run with a YZF450, but I know I can tear up a stocker 400EX.