PDA

View Full Version : Key Switch elimination

zpl7685
04-01-2005, 12:03 AM
While preparing my 300ex for MX I eliminated the key switch and also discovered that the start button no longer works due to previous owner storing the quad out in the rain. While redoing most of the bike I needed to find a way to start it so I hooked up a tether start switch the completes the circuit between the positive and negative terminals of the battery coil located under the left rear fender, I know the coil will go bad soon if I keep this up and it is also killing the battery. Any suggestions on hooking it up in a way that wouldn't result in a dead battery every single day? Tried putting a switch from the old wires from the original start switch but it wouldn't start. I'm not sure why the battery keeps dying, prolly do to my current start method, ANY SUGGESTIONS.

bradley300
04-01-2005, 07:14 AM
just leave the kill switch out of it when its not running, that wuld do it wouldnt it? be just like having the key off right?

or you could wire the killswitch in with the old key wires

zpl7685
04-01-2005, 07:50 AM
The keyswith is pretty much out of the question currently, I just don't know what keeps killing the new battery that i just put in. Its almost seems like the bike thinks that the keyswitch is on 24 seven. I eliminated the panel lights and remove front and taillights. I have no clue.

bradley300
04-01-2005, 07:59 AM
did you plug the keyswitch wires together? if so, thats what is doing it, if those wires are together, its just like having the key on

zpl7685
04-01-2005, 05:48 PM
The previous owner apparently already had two wires from the keyswitch crimped together. How to fix this, run a toggle switch between the two wires? ALso installing a pro-design killswitch, might try and use some of the old keyswitch wires.